collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January sales: 9 Villa players  (Read 12709 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: January sales: 9 Villa players
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
I was happy with the signing of Davies and his play up until Laursen's injury, but he was only ever going to prove to be worth his transfer fee at best.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »
The rest are likely to go and no great loss, even Freidle provided we sign a younger replacement.

Provided we sign a younger replacement that's good enough!

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »
How feckin stupid do we look paying 9.5m to Smethwick for Davies.

Did you complain at the time? I didn't. Was happy about it. Hindsight's a wonderful thing.

On the basis of their potential MON paid big, and possibly over the top,  money for four youngish players. Two turned out to be bargains (Milner and Young), and one may well be still (Delph). Not a bad record.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »
My reservation with the strategy of "target promising young talent" is that we manage to keep hold of them after they graduate past "promising".

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »
I don't think it will all be in January as the article seems to suggest. I think they will all be gone by the summer though.

It does keep creeping up mind. A few weeks back it was just seven out.

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »
Nine players leaving ? Bring it on. ASAP.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »
There will be a few players leaving in january maybe loan signings like sidwell going to West Ham but i think he need's to get rid of some of them and then start work on bringing his own players in.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 02:09:28 PM »
The rest are likely to go and no great loss, even Freidle provided we sign a younger replacement.

Provided we sign a younger replacement that's good enough!
It's one position that rarely grabs the headlines but replacing Brad will not be easy. It's not just a question of bringing in a younger keeper, whoever we sign will be younger than Brad. It's about bringing in a quality keeper and there aren't that many around.

Arsenal have been struggling to find a decent replacement since Seaman left. The Rags are still in the Premier League as they've taken good keepers on loan. I'd imagine every team in the league with the exception of Chelsea and Man City would be interested in buying a top goalkeeper.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 02:14:12 PM »
My reservation with the strategy of "target promising young talent" is that we manage to keep hold of them after they graduate past "promising".

That's the problem all clubs like us have, but it's should'nt stop us from bringing them in, but you're right. It's only a matter of time before Albrighton get's linked with a big money move.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 03:02:24 PM »
How feckin stupid do we look paying 9.5m to Smethwick for Davies.
We did mug them in the Moore deal though, I honestly think he looks like a class act at times and he put his body on the line with those recurring shoulder pops.
Edit, Good article and good post Ivo stas
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:12:43 PM by villasjf »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »

That's the problem all clubs like us have, but it's should'nt stop us from bringing them in, but you're right. It's only a matter of time before Albrighton get's linked with a big money move.

It's also suggesting a period of relative austerity as far as the transfer budget goes.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
if Gerard manage to get rid all of them and buy 9 players, we will struggles as it will take time for our new look Aston Villa to gel.

I think 3 will leave and 3 will come in the winter.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »
if Gerard manage to get rid all of them and buy 9 players, we will struggles as it will take time for our new look Aston Villa to gel.

I think 3 will leave and 3 will come in the winter.

With the emerging youth players I don't think it will be 9 in, even in all those mentioned go.  I can see Davies and Sidwell, plus maybe Carew and Ireland, going in Jan, with 2 coming in.  Then in the summer Carew and Ireland, if they're still here, plus Big Brad, NRC (although I hope he stays), Beye (although I think he'll stick it out on his big contract), Warnock and Dunne, with maybe 4 in.  Bedding in two players in Jan and 4 in the summer shouldn't prove too difficult.   

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 03:31:06 PM »
Maybe Warnock needs another lb to come into the club to give him some competition and a kick up the backside,he is a good player as he showed when he first signed. Even though Shorey isnt much better,least he wouldve been competition. I wonder if Warnock suffers from not having Ash in front of him,as they did have a good understanding when Warnick first signed.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 03:37:02 PM »
Maybe Warnock needs another lb to come into the club to give him some competition and a kick up the backside,he is a good player as he showed when he first signed. Even though Shorey isnt much better,least he wouldve been competition. I wonder if Warnock suffers from not having Ash in front of him,as they did have a good understanding when Warnick first signed.

I agree

I think Warnock has been average on the whole but he has had one or two good games this year. Maybe a back up would help him and it also allows him to have a rest

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal