collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Contracts and Wages  (Read 12517 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Contracts and Wages
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »
Giving Habib Beye 40k a week until he reaches 35 is fucking insane.

What kind of service did he think we'd be getting out of Beye at age 35?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
It is alarming and very poor. At least Sidwell will be off the wage bill soon.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 07:42:44 PM »
A combination of factors i reckon

1. If you only buy from clubs in the richest league in the world you'll pay top wages.
2. He brought a fair few players who were approaching their last big contract
3. Players like Sidwell and Dunne were always going to be on top whack at their previous clubs

Even looking at the above you still wonder how West ham reserves like MFH got the sort of deals they pocketed. All i can assume is MON made a very convincing case to the board at the time*

*threatened to walk out if he didn't get them

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 08:20:18 PM »
it disgusted me the money these players earns. I think an average player in premier league should not get more than 15 grand a week.

If Steve Stride is still in the club I bet he would saved 10 millions a year off wages bill.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »
Heskey and Warnock look good value compared to the rest.  Assou Ekotto....funny comparison, i have watched him over a number of games and see him as their weakest link.  My question is how and why did we sign these players and wages.  I think the lure of VP may not be so high as within the M60 or M25 whether we like it or not.  Im not saying I agree.  I went to Anfield twice this year.  Once to be disappointed by being beaten by a poor Liverpool team, once to see Liverpool vs Blackpool.  I think Im right in thinking not one Blackpool player is on more than 10k a week, and their starting 11 took home less than Gerard.  And boy they played those Reds off the park.  That is hunger... but hunger for Blackpool...maybe.  Also hunger in trying to sort a bigger contract.  Taking home wages is a big carrott.  For us, its about battling the mortgage, and we are hungry to earn more, its human nature.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »
He was the football expert.

And -in fairness- he was operating from a position of strength in 2008 and soon after,   when the worst of those deals got done. If he gave them the instruction to do whatever it takes to get those players on board it says more about his judgement than anything else.

This summer, when they did actually query his plans they get accused of Machiavellian plots to drive him out and all sorts of other bobbins.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I think the last couple of years has been a sharp learning curve for Randy and his staff.  I do not think he will make the same mistakes again and once GH ships the overpaid/underachievers out then a reasonable level will be enforced.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
What is David Dein doing?

We could do alot worse than getting someone like that onboard.

Peter Kenyon is still free isn't he? He's a detestable ****** but decent at his job.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »
I still despair at Habib Beye on £40k a week.

i know but as I keep on saying he was earning 50k+ at Newcastle so took a pay cut to join us.

Same for Sidwell probably who I estimate was again on 50k + at Chelsea given he joined them on a free transfer.

Modern football eh?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 09:28:19 PM »
Isn't Beye's contract up at the end of the season, I assume we gave him a 2 year deal when he signed?!

Would be interesting if someone could dig up the contract lengths for some of our players, think Carlos has 18 months to run on his deal, same for Luke Young so wouldn't surprise me if both left in the summer.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 10:45:10 PM »
so the Board are at fault for giving Mon the control he demands as at Celtic and Leicester.
The Board are at fault for telling him to curb the spending and wage bill, just as at Celtic and thus forcing him to quit.
No wonder General K reckoned his ego was bigger than the club, the guy seemingly is always blameless.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 12:22:43 AM »
What is David Dein doing?

About to take over as FA Chairman I believe.

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »
[quote author=MoetVillan link I think Im right in thinking not one Blackpool player is on more than 10k a week, and their starting 11 took home less than Gerard.  And boy they played those Reds off the park.  That is hunger... but hunger for Blackpool...maybe.  Also hunger in trying to sort a bigger contract.  [/quote]

I'm sure I read that Ian Holloway has pretty-much conceded that this is a fact of life at Blackpool.
Hungry players on (comparatively) low wages, keen to do well and enjoy the whole experience whilst proving themselves in the Premier League will, inevitably, be in a permanent shop window.

Charlie Adam anyone?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 08:00:51 AM »
All i can assume is MON made a very convincing case to the board at the time*

*threatened to walk out if he didn't get them

Thta's pretty much right from Greg.

He's got form of that from his Celtic days.

That said, the board should have realised that we were paying over the odds and put a stop to it well before they did.

Neither MON or the board come out of this looking very good.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »
How much is Pires on ? Is it true he's chauffered up from London each day ?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 09:52:21 AM »
I hope the board and GH dont go giving them sort of wages and contract's to people like Sidwell and Beye again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal