collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is Ged getting fed up?  (Read 19287 times)

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
Is Ged getting fed up?
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »
I could probably be considered a Houllier supporter, but at times it seems as if he could be more diplomatic. Sometimes his quotes gives an impression that he is fed up with the attitude of some of his players. From the Daily Mail:

"We are changing things here. People whinge and moan but they have a fantastic job.

"They are paid high wages to play and enjoy football. They will have three days off this week because we have a hectic schedule over Christmas and the New Year. But sometimes they forget all of that.

"OK, they've got talent. They are at a good club. They are paid to play and enjoy their football. So, what's wrong?"

More specifically about Ireland from Goal.com:

"He won't be playing in Ashley's position. I've done that before and it didn't work," said Houllier, according to The Sun.

"So I'm not stupid, I'm not doing it again."

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it's almost as if he's so unimpressed by Ireland's attitude that he doesn't see much point in ever playing him again.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
Re: Is Ged getting fed up?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:51 AM »
Every single football fan agrees with that first quote, the second one is clearly because he doesn't like Ireland.

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »
I don't think he is fed up. I think he is getting fired up. I think he has found the job harder than he thought, especially coming from a cushy role at the FFF.

He is now returning to the driven, egotistical man he was during his time at Liverpool. This is a good thing every good manager has an ego!

This needed to happen for him to be successful IMO.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »
Someone had to go and mention the 'L' word.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:24:50 AM »
I agree with him.

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
Someone had to go and mention the 'L' word.

Who said Lesbians?

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:32 AM »
i get the impression he is desperately wanting certain players out, so he can bring in his own... if players that may not have been sold under different circumstances want out, as proven with barry and milner, we wont keep them... and then they need replacing and houllier can put his own stamp on the club even quicker...

its clever, in a way, as he is forcing the club to back him financially, possibly quicker than first anticipated...

and tbh, if players dont want to work, because they liked the cushy easy time under o'neill, then screw them...

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »
I think he's just decided that he needs to be seen to be asserting his authority. There has been a lot of negative publicity out of VP in the last few weeks and I think he is responding to that.

A more interesting question is why is there so much bad publicity and where is it coming from?

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »
When he was at Liverpool ( there, I've said it) there was quite a bit of unrest at the way Houllier "spoke" to his players via the press.

Just my opinion, but some things are better kept in house than aired in public .

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:35:50 AM »
i have read elsewhere that some of the negative publicity comes from a previous villa player who is a little bitter about not getting a job recently..

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:38:16 AM »
I think he's just decided that he needs to be seen to be asserting his authority. There has been a lot of negative publicity out of VP in the last few weeks and I think he is responding to that.
I agree, that's what he's doing. But it's a fine line - does he pretend everything's great and have these bust-up leaks springing up all over the place or does he come out in the open on the offensive (like he seems to be doing) and stop the impact of the leaks?

It's his call and he'll be judged unmercifully on his results if this gets a bad reaction from players, but it feels very uncomfortable and confrontational to do it this way.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »
He needs time, and the state of play and the number of injurie is heaping pressure on him.
Let's see where the January window takes us (with Sidwell and Ireland almost certainly out - even if on loan) and the return of the injured during the next month and then take a view.

Offline Merv

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »
I think he's warming to the task. He's probably now identified the players he doesn't want to work with, and next month he'll start bringing in one or two that he does; in January his reign in charge truly starts as he'll start to build the team he wants.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »
He needs time, and the state of play and the number of injurie is heaping pressure on him.
Let's see where the January window takes us (with Sidwell and Ireland almost certainly out - even if on loan) and the return of the injured during the next month and then take a view.

Although I agree with that, we do also need results for two reasons:-
1.  To stay the the PL.
2.  The lower we are/finish the harder it will become to attract players.

He's changing the playing style, but maybe ne needs to arrest that slightly to get some points on the board and then revisit it once he's got some of his own players in?

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
i have read elsewhere that some of the negative publicity comes from a previous villa player who is a little bitter about not getting a job recently..

I was told that from a mate also. Was it a certain former Left Back?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal