collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier confirms Ireland wants to leave!  (Read 92120 times)

Offline eastie

Houllier confirms Ireland wants to leave!
« on: December 18, 2010, 05:29:05 AM »
Houllier quoted in many sources today as confirming Stephen Ireland has told him he wants to leave the club and also that other unhappy players may be leaving in January.

Bit worried by geds comment that 'its a huge shock coming from Manchester city to here'- not sure what he means by that comment but he says he hopes to recoup most of the £8m transfer fee- can't see that happening , maybe £5m if we are lucky.

On iPod so cannot paste the articles but they are widely quoted via BBC and today's press.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:34:26 AM by east19 »

Online Mr Diggles

Re: Houllier confirms Ireland wants to leave!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:47:43 AM »
It also seems Ireland's agent is denying the claims. Who will want to spend the money anyway - he hasn't impressed, Villa would want to recoup some money and he's on big wages. I think Ireland will prove another millstone round the neck for Villa in terms of wages unless he improves massively.

Plus Houllier is obviously quite comfortable cutting his players loose in the media if he feels the need to - Carew, Dunne and Oreland, for example - but he's also been praising other players - Bannan, ALbrighton, Young.  Not sure what to make of that.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:32:21 AM »
I dunno what you're not sure of what to make of. He loves the players that have the right attitude and give their all. Whereas he thinks the players who have shit attitudes and play under their abilities are complete pricks. It also seems to me that most of the pricks are also some of the highest paid.

Where the fuck does Ireland think he can go to rejuvenate his career? Maybe he just wants to wear something blue or a replica Peru kit? I dunno, but I can't imagine that any manager would take a chance on him given his attitude. He may well have the talent but if he's acting the twat because he can't play for Man City anymore, then no-one will want him.

The ****** should do the honourable thing and retire. Can Villa collect on some for of insurance for this?

Fuck me, it gets me pissed off. These clowns earn unfathomable amounts of money and they still aren't happy.
It's shit-for-brains players like Ireland that makes me want to just give football up.

Online manic-road

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:04:04 AM »
If he doesn't want to play for the Villa, then let him go.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014

Offline treaders12000

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 07:09:10 AM »
If true - dont let the door hit ur over paid, worthless, shite attitude. Flabby arse on way out !

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 07:16:26 AM »
Get him out.
Always knew he was a prick.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 07:30:18 AM »
You cant really get rid of someone these days they have contracts which are expensive to pay off.

Offline Ross

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 07:35:14 AM »
You cant really get rid of someone these days they have contracts which are expensive to pay off.

Quite. A reported £70,000 a week four-year contract is quite an issue for us when trying to offload a player who few others will want.  He made sure he got his huge pay off before leaving Man City, so I would imagine it will be the same scenario at Villa too.  I suspect the best we can hope is to loan him out, and get half of his wages covered.

Absolutely awful signing.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 07:48:43 AM »
I agree that the board gets a lot of undeserved criticism these says. Even so, I think it is possible to question the wisdom of signing a £8m player on a £70,000 a week four-year contract when we are managerless and, also, want to trim our wage bill.

I'll admit that these comments are partly down to hindsight, but given GH's history at Liverpool (first thing he did was to get rid of the "spice boys") and Ireland's reputation it's not a complete surprise that they don't seem to get along very well.

Offline eastie

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 07:54:18 AM »
Yes the board have to take the blame for signing another clubs reserve player on £65000 a week on a long term deal when we didn't even have a manager- utterly ridiculous to do such a thing and questions must be asked as to who made that decision.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 08:07:21 AM »
Good positive action by Houllier to get rid of him so quickly, just hope there are more queing up to take him off our hands than the job lot MON was trying to get shot of last summer.

I thought he was the sort of player we needed but it does go to show there is more to signing a player than what he's like on the pitch, but it was well known he was a nutter.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
If you move from one company where you have spent many years to a new company it takes time to settle in some take longer than others. it all comes down to attitude, you can see whats happening, all the players that have been taking short cuts and were unfit have had a reality check and they don't like it. For one i'm with GH, if you don't want to put one hundred percent in for Villa then piss off. I would imagine all the players that are looking to move we don't want anyway.

Offline eastie

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 08:13:14 AM »
Spot on robbo- at least come march out squad won't be out on their feet this time- if they dont like the stricter regime they can fuck off elsewhere!

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:15:34 AM by east19 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal