collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Campaign to bring back the old North Stand screen  (Read 9115 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Campaign to bring back the old North Stand screen
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 10:06:43 AM »
I'm not on facebook but good luck with your campaign.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »
If you miss the screen so much then simply move seats so you can see the Holte end screen.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »
How many other grounds in the PL have screens at both ends?

Is there a screen at all at Man U? (other than the slim one?)

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
Does anyone have an inkling as to what is really happening about the North Stand ?

Its noticable that in recent months the language used by the General has changed from rebuild to renovate. I actually despise the North Stand now - its really not fitting a club of our stature.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »
I've hardly missed the screen at all to be honest. I catch all the goals and missed chances etc on the tellybox anyway.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
I've hardly missed the screen at all to be honest. I catch all the goals and missed chances etc on the tellybox anyway.

It was not really something I used to take any notice of when I had my ST, I must admit.  The ground does look better with a screen at each end though.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 02:45:41 PM »
As a compromise they could dig those old 90s scoreboards out the loft with the clapping hands and other catchphrase style animation.

There's too much football on the tele these days - ban the screens keep football live.

Offline Secret Army

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 03:25:02 PM »
Does anyone have an inkling as to what is really happening about the North Stand ?

Its noticable that in recent months the language used by the General has changed from rebuild to renovate. I actually despise the North Stand now - its really not fitting a club of our stature.

My Dad feels the same way as you, and has volunteered to push the plunger and send the North Stand to the pages of History. However as we can't fill Villa Park at a capacity of 42,000. What’s the point making any changes? I love the £350 season ticket and £125 for my son, we also have a 280 mile round trip and we love every minute of it. I would sit in the NS Lower for the rest of my days if it makes it affordable football regardless of aesthetics...don’t look at the stand lets worry about what’s on the pitch.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
Not too bothered about the screen myself but I'd back a campaign to bring back the old Witton End, as it used to be - much better than the ugly North Stand. And it wouldn't cost a fortune to rebuild, just pile up the rubble from the demolished North Stand, add bit of fresh concrete for some shallow steps, bit of grass and a few weeds down the back and job done.
Not sure I could run down the bank at the back like I used to be able to though.
When I think back to a cold night standing at the back of there waiting for the final whistle, before running down the dirt/gravel path that had been worn out of the grass bank, I would never in a million years have imagined that 40 years later fans would be moaning that the giant tele had been taken away.
I think somewhere along the line we've been a bit spoilt.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 07:28:10 PM »
At a slight tangent. What might the effect be if we played a PL game where film cameras were banned. Would it have a big impact on attendance if people knew that the only way you could ever see anything of the match would be by attending on the day?

Offline ChrissyPrice

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 12:47:02 AM »
At a slight tangent. What might the effect be if we played a PL game where film cameras were banned. Would it have a big impact on attendance if people knew that the only way you could ever see anything of the match would be by attending on the day?

Not if the mid 80s were anything to go by. Highlights on the TV seem to give the game a bigger profile.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »
I would never in a million years have imagined that 40 years later fans would be moaning that the giant tele had been taken away.
I think somewhere along the line we've been a bit spoilt.

I never in a million years thought I'd be paying thirty odd quid & upwards for a ticket. At that money I think I deserve to be spoilt.

I don't particularly want the screen for the replays, I want it for the info. The things like when theres a foul and you can just look up and check whether that player's already on a yellow. These things are handy, we have had them for a while. I'm not so devastated that my match day is ruined (theres plenty of other stuff to do that at the moment) but ask me if I want it back or not - yes I do.

I've heard the reasoning that it'll go back up as part of the north stand redevelopment, and I think they're over complicating it. They've still got the screen, theres still a space in that corner, it should go back up.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »
I sit in the upper North so this does not affect me. However I can imagine just how pissed off i'd be if they got rid of the one between the Holte and Trinity so I have signed up.

Same here. They MUST NOT  ever ever get rid of Holte End Screen ;)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »
I still can't fathom out how to set membership to 'automatic', i.e. not requiring 'approval' first. Anyway, once you've been added please feel free to add other friends of yours and promote on other sites.

Offline rutski

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »
i dont think it is a priority at the moment. We are damn well spoiled as it is! Makes you watch the game a little more closely instead of texting as the div infront of me does all match!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal