collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shirt Sponsorship concern  (Read 6449 times)

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
Shirt Sponsorship concern
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
I see lower division team have more than 1 sponsor on shirt, Barcelona will have Qatar and Unicef on new shirt and Premier League club get permission to have more than one sponsor.

If this happens to Aston Villa shirt I will not buy it. I hate sponsor logos on football shirt. If football insists on having multiple sponsor I insist on a sponsor free shirt with only Villa and Nike logo on shirt.

Why can't Premier League do something like NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL having no sponsor logo. They manage it and pay stupid money for wages as well.

Offline Countryside Villain

• GM : 11.05.2016
Re: Shirt Sponsorship concern
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:36:56 PM »
They do manage it.  Do you fancy paying well over £1000 for your season ticket though?  Or we could charge less but try and squeeze in twice the number of games a season.

Money is a necessary evil, like it or not.

As an aside though, Barca having two sponsors is not quite true when one of them is UNICEF.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:03:20 PM »
I don't give a monkeys to be frank. The second sponsor where UK clubs are concerned are usually tucked away on the back of the shirt somewhere or the sleeve so if I was bothered I'd never see it anyway.

Besiders, as a football shirt afficionado I quite like a busy shirt sometimes. Some of the continental ones can look pretty good.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
Give if five years and Man Utd's shirt will look like the average Formula 1 car.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:38:36 PM »
Strange time to get up in arms about it. Just another corporate box ticked. Surely the incorporation of the first shirt sponsor was the time to say 'fuck you' (which as a country we don't do near enough of)?

Besides, I'd welcome the change if it meant a permanent return for Acorns. I couldn't give a monkeys what the other clubs do.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:46:48 PM »
I hate shirt advertising, but grudgingly accept that it is here to stay.  Please, though, let us try to stick to one logo and not the multitude scene in some parts of the world

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:47:35 PM »
Any revenue stream will be exploited, it stands to reason in the modern game. When players like Rooney have the ability to hold clubs to ransom on wage demands, the clubs will continue to find ways to rake in more money.

And the fans will still roll up to see the likes of Rooney and chant his name.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:53:12 PM »
Exactly. Need to follow in the footsteps of our friends on the continent, the Germans especially. If the suits try to push the prices too far, we kindly inform them to jog on.

The players, the executives, the sponsers, they all take the piss because we bend over and take it. Then on the way home we have a good moan about the state of the game.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:04:55 AM »
Strange that you don't mind the Nike logo.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 09:18:17 AM »
At a slight tangent, why is there such moral outrage when betting scandals beset the game when so many shirt sponsors are in the business of financial speculation of one kind or another.

I thought the scottish refereeing debacle was a bit overdone - hilarious but a bit overdone, until this latest bookies' investigation into alleged betting irregularities on Motherwell's Steve Jennings red card.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:56:59 AM »
It wouldn't bother me as long as it bring's more money into the club i don't mind we might aswell get used to it as sponsorship's are here to stay like it or not.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
The Ligue 1 shirts you see with 5 or 6 sponsors on look ridiculous.

Offline peter w

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »
Not really fussed about it to be honest. Some of the best foreign shirts, F1 cars etc are the most snazzy looking. If ours looks goos then I can live with it. We didn't have sponsors plastered all over our Hummel and henson kits and look at the mess we made of those, and the muller away thinking about it. Eugh.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 10:55:28 AM »
it does make you wonder whether the premiership/FA have any limitation to what they'll do in their pursuit of money. I was reading the other day that when the FA cup tv rights come up for renewal, they will insist on moving the final to an evening kick-off which just seems totally wrong to me.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 10:58:07 AM »
it does make you wonder whether the premiership/FA have any limitation to what they'll do in their pursuit of money. I was reading the other day that when the FA cup tv rights come up for renewal, they will insist on moving the final to an evening kick-off which just seems totally wrong to me.

I read that as well. It was reason to give up football number 847.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal