collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier article.  (Read 12300 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: Houllier article.
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 09:44:11 AM »
Seem to remember Ferguson upset a lot of the old guard when he arrived at the mancs. They were an underachieving team as well with a lot of players that promised much and delivered little. Players upset with new training methods because he doesn't want people like Dunne carrying two spare tyres? meh. carry on Houllier

Offline Shay

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 09:52:02 AM »
Cheers Villadawg. Have to say I am surprised that Houllier has as much support on here.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 09:57:05 AM »
Cheers Villadawg. Have to say I am surprised that Houllier has as much support on here.

I wasn't agreeing with you. I have misgivings about his regime so far and recognise how serious the situation is but we've no choice but to see it through with him for now.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 10:18:58 AM »

He's only been here ten minutes during which time he has had to put up with 27,365 injuries. Bit harsh to write him off already.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »

He's only been here ten minutes during which time he has had to put up with 27,365 injuries. Bit harsh to write him off already.

We probably have enough MON threads, but, in addition to injuries, it also seems that the previous manager left some skeletons behind in the closets.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »
I totally back GH with what he is doing.  He's ruffling feathers, pricking egos and getting stuck into the job.  The way Dunne has been playing this year he totally deserves every bit of stick that he gets from the manager, in my opinion.  If Carew's attitude stinks then I want a manager strong enough to sort him out.  Fair play to GH.  I'm glad he's got the guts, hunger and fight for the job...it augurs well for us, surely?

Just to go back to what East 17 said: 

Also houllier quotes as saying 'it's a huge shock to come from Manchester city to here'

I'm not sure that this is the whole quote in context.  I think Houllier was saying that Ireland, simply, has found it a shock to leave the only club he has been at since moving to the UK.  Manchester was his adopted home and he has found the whole process of moving and adapting to a new club a shock.  There's no dig at Villa.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
Does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that the Villa are probably one of only possibly 3 clubs in the league (man utd and maybe arsenal being the others) where, in a players v manager battle, it'll be the manager that wins out every time?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »

We probably have enough MON threads, but, in addition to injuries, it also seems that the previous manager left some skeletons behind in the closets.
Not Dunne, obviously.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »
I totally back GH with what he is doing.  He's ruffling feathers, pricking egos and getting stuck into the job.  The way Dunne has been playing this year he totally deserves every bit of stick that he gets from the manager, in my opinion.  If Carew's attitude stinks then I want a manager strong enough to sort him out.  Fair play to GH.  I'm glad he's got the guts, hunger and fight for the job...it augurs well for us, surely?

Just to go back to what East 17 said: 

Also houllier quotes as saying 'it's a huge shock to come from Manchester city to here'

I'm not sure that this is the whole quote in context.  I think Houllier was saying that Ireland, simply, has found it a shock to leave the only club he has been at since moving to the UK.  Manchester was his adopted home and he has found the whole process of moving and adapting to a new club a shock.  There's no dig at Villa.

Absolutely agree with every word of this

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »
So all our injuries are the fault of  manager who left over four months ago.

I always knew the O'Neill Hate Brigade were desperate, but really...

All this ice and snow, eh? Trust that bastard O'Neill!!!!!

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »
I love that comment: "pictured during the second half"...

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 06:24:25 PM »

Where is anyone saying that ? this thread is mainly discussing Houlliers treatment of under performing players

Get a grip

Offline rutski

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »
i bet you are 12 arent you shay, if not instant results then sack the twat! I bet you were also one of many saying sack mon last year cause the football isnt very attractive! fuck finishing 6th for the love of some glory football and excitement! If you cannot see already what houllier is trying to do on the pitch then i do not respect your opinion! Houlier can obviously tell that some of our players cannot play his way, they can only play mons way! That is why they did well then. It comes as no surprise to me to see warnock struggling being 10 yards further away from our centre halves than the tight defensive unit we have been for the past 4 years. This was probably the reason why warnock was got rid of by liverpool because he couldnt play an expansive game! This is already the early signs with dunne! great player when asked to do the simple things of head and kick it away, but struggles with the pass bit!

Houllier needs time to sort the wheat from the chaff and get some of the primadonnas out of their comfort zone, and if that means the fucking irish elf has to go well so be it, even at a loss as he will balls up the development of our kids!

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »

Eh? I don't think anyone is saying that unless you are taking jokes about him having some voodoo dolls of our players out seriously.

I don't think anyone could blame MoN for our injuries with a straight face.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
I really dont know what I make of GH at the moment.

Always dubious of anything I read in the press, there are so many agendas amongst those that write and those that feed information.  My view on all these revolt things is that the names I have seen mentioned have between them cotributed the square root of nothing positive to our side this season - Beye has had a couple of awful games at left back, one of which cost us our European place, Carew and Ireland have put in no effort whatsoever and Dunne has, to steal the words of Curtis Davies 'a pub player'.  My cynicism reaches a level where I even wonder whether these stories have been planted by Houlliers mob to try and generate a story that might halp him shift these players on huge wages come January....

The Liverpool stuff....the touching the sign, no problem, i'm sure hundreds of ex-players and childhood supporters have touched that sign when walkng out against Liverpool.....the comments were stupid and offensive to Villa fans but they were only words.

In terms of media, all managers have their favourite journos who they use to do some 'dirty work' - wasnt Benitez dripping his interest in Barry through the Scouse Echo and MON was always bigged up by the likes of Oliver Holt....guessing GH is not as popular with certain sections of media :-)

Tactically, I like the idea that we might try and pass the ball a bit, terrifed of why the defence has turned to jelly though....are we trying to defend higher up the pitch?? and teams are finding more room to get behind us??  hence needing different types of defenders in the side....and the likes of Dunne who defend the edge of the box are caught out more??

I'm not keen on ditching managers who have had no opportunity to shape the team how they want to

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal