collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Now Beye in bust up....  (Read 40503 times)

Offline picicata

Re: Now Beye in bust up....
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2010, 07:53:53 AM »
heh! good old villadawg. why did you decide to choose 28 as your comparison point? is 28 the new 30?

I'd guess because 26-30 is considered 'peak' time for a footballer.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2010, 08:26:59 AM »
yeah, i'm sure thats why he chose 28 ::)

However a fairer stat is the following. When he left the club, 7 players were well over 30

Friedel
l. young
Dunne
Carew
Heskey
Petrov
Beye

of the rest, 3 look to have no future at the club

Sidwell
Salifou
Davies

which leaves 8 below 30 and not all of them are regulars or guaranteed to become 1st team players

young
Warnock
ceullar
Downing
collins
Delpth
Guzan
NRC

now considering there are no players left from previous managers, 8 players out of 17 players with a possible long term future at the club is a not very impressive legacy given the amount of time he had. Ancellotti may have an old squad but a lot of them are inherited world class players not bought by him. Ferguson may have an old squad but a lot of them are former youth players he paid nowt for. big difference. Another relevant point is clubs like Citeh and chelsea can afford to have an older squad because frankly they have the vast resources to replace them every 4 years.  We on the other hand haven't so we better hope the youngsters are as good as we think they are.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:43:27 AM by gregnash »

Offline jay71

« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2010, 10:16:44 AM »
Beye is one of the worst players for villa ive ever seen get rid in january.will only be on a free cause i carnt see any one paying for him!!

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2010, 10:29:26 AM »

However a fairer stat is the following. When he left the club, 7 players were well over 30

Friedel
l. young
Dunne
Carew
Heskey
Petrov
Beye

Sidwell
Salifou
Davies

which leaves 8 below 30 and not all of them are regulars or guaranteed to become 1st team players

young
Warnock
ceullar
Downing
collins
Delpth
Guzan
NRC

now considering there are no players left from previous managers, 8 players out of 17 players with a possible long term future at the club is a not very impressive legacy given the amount of time he had. Ancellotti may have an old squad but a lot of them are inherited world class players not bought by him. Ferguson may have an old squad but a lot of them are former youth players he paid nowt for. big difference. Another relevant point is clubs like Citeh and chelsea can afford to have an older squad because frankly they have the vast resources to replace them every 4 years.  We on the other hand haven't so we better hope the youngsters are as good as we think they are.

I chose 28 because it would include all of the players who would fall into Kevin's expansive "over age" category of players who will be 30 in December 2011 i.e. 17 months after O'Neill left the club.

I suppose I could now go and have a look at your category of players who "were well over 30" and see how it compares to other clubs but it would be just as easy for you to do it yourself. Although seeing as  2 of your 7 were  aged 30 when O'Neill left and another 2 had turned 31 the month before he left, I probably wouldn't label it as "players who were well over 30"

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2010, 10:36:19 AM »
Beye is one of the worst players for villa ive ever seen get rid in january.will only be on a free cause i carnt see any one paying for him!!

If he's one of the worst you've ever seen down the Villa, then I can only guess you're a young fella. :)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »

Friedel
l. young
Dunne
Carew
Heskey
Petrov
Beye

Sidwell
Salifou
Davies

young
Warnock
ceullar
Downing
collins
Delpth
Guzan
NRC

I chose 28 because it would include all of the players who would fall into Kevin's expansive "over age" category of players who will be 30 in December 2011 i.e. 17 months after O'Neill left the club.

I suppose I could now go and have a look at your category of players who "were well over 30" and see how it compares to other clubs but it would be just as easy for you to do it yourself. Although seeing as  2 of your 7 were  aged 30 when O'Neill left and another 2 had turned 31 the month before he left, I probably wouldn't label it as "players who were well over 30"

Nice try.

Most wouldn't consider a year in any one job a particularly long time, yet if GH manages it -and was to keep all the gems he inherited from MON- he'd have 8 players 30 or over and one soon to follow.  Hardly a desirable situation, Wouldn't you agree?

The list I've included features players that actually played under MON. The average you arrived at (or borrowed from today's favourite and entirely reliable stat site) most likely  includes youth players who barely -if ever- featured under MON. You can see how an average lowered by including the likes of Elliot Parish, James Collins jnr and Nathan Baker for example might be viewed viewed with some suspicion.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
Is it me or is this one of the most tediously pointless threads in a huge history of tediously pointless threads?

Yes, yes, I know, don't read it or post on it if you don't like it, but there is something almost mesmerising about the way certain posters can turn a relatively benign thread into an epic borefest!

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »
Most wouldn't consider a year in any one job a particularly long time, yet if GH manages it -and was to keep all the gems he inherited from MON- he'd have 8 players 30 or over and one soon to follow.  Hardly a desirable situation, Wouldn't you agree?
I could easily be wrong on this, but I'd have thought most clubs would have seven or eight players in their squad aged 30 or over?

Online KevinGage

« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2010, 05:35:02 PM »
In an overall, balanced squad of 25, it can probably be managed, yes.
With some (as per Neville and Giggs at Man U) playing bit part roles.

But the nine players I mentioned made up the core of the starting XI last year, or were on the fringes of the first XI, which is a bit different.

Offline pestria

« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2010, 05:35:30 PM »
I'd have thought the easiest way to describe the position MON left/GH inherited would be ...

A top six side - a good 1st XI but with plenty of quantity but very little/unproven quality in depth

Minus arguably its best player - Milner (12 goals a season)

Minus arguably its best forward - Carew no longer interested or fubar (15 goals a season)

I'm not sure what that calculates out at but I'd guess mid-table.  I'm not sure how relevant the age profile is, other than to state the obvious that older players are more injury prone , so the squad might have struggled to get top six again this year anyway.

Online KevinGage

« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2010, 05:40:08 PM »
Is it me or is this one of the most tediously pointless threads in a huge history of tediously pointless threads?

Yes, yes, I know, don't read it or post on it if you don't like it, but there is something almost mesmerising about the way certain posters can turn a relatively benign thread into an epic borefest!

I agree Dave. Most of your contributions are the internet equivalent of Ambien (winky effort).

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2010, 05:59:55 PM »
Yeah Cooper.

For cough and go and go and listen the Ting Tings, ya daft Abba hater.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2010, 06:03:08 PM »
Young wasn't his first major signing. Petrov was.
The point still stands. If you're trying to decide whether it's worth giving the manager more money based on the collective signings of Carew, Petrov and Young then do you give him more to try and do the same with other players?

I would.

I don't think it was a matter of how good the players were. Randy would have given the manger money to spend regardless, just as he always did. What happened last summer, and more importantly why it happened, none of us know.
Dave - Maybe somebody did statistics of unused assets and their wages, and showed it to Randy (Propably Villadawg ) and the rest is history.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal