collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Baldy
[Today at 02:59:36 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:45:28 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pass & Move, Is It The Reserve Team Groove?  (Read 9706 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Pass & Move, Is It The Reserve Team Groove?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 04:33:41 PM »
I posted this on the Post Match thread but May as well stick it here..

I was thinking exactly the same. A few people mentioned during the week how Houllier needs time to bring in his own players to play the his style. He's landed on his feet with our kids who have been brought up to play football the right way. They really have done us proud and on todays performance, I may have to eat humble pie regarding Lichaj, who I've never been that impressed with. Today I thought he put in a solid first team debut.

I though Lichaj had a very good game yesterday, a good enough performance to keep Luke Young out of the side for the Wigan game too.  He looked composed and didn't treat the ball like it was a hot potato....something Young has a tendency to do at times.  Seeing defenders pass there way out of trouble is a welcome change.
Agreed Bren and I don't think Luke can have any complaints if he has to sit on the bench for a game or three. Eric took his chance and deserves to keep his place based on his performance yesterday.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 04:59:56 PM »
we also have to do better at set pieces, and Lichaj's throw ins should become a weapon just as Delap's has for Stoke. He played very competently yesterday, but I wouldn't mind seeing Luke at LB instead of Warnock for a bit.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »
Bring Luke in for Warnock, IMO.

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
I said back in the summer that the club need a 'philosophy' of football that runs through from the youth level right up to the senior team. When we were looking for a new manager i read some articles by Jurgen Klinsmann that impressed me. He stressed the importance of having the junior, reserve and senior teams all playing the same type of football; so that the youth can develop naturally into the senior team and integrate easier because they all play the same style of football.

I think Houllier is the right manager for that and this was probably one of the main considerations for bringing him in in the first place. It's possibly the case that in the reserve and youth teams he has found more players that can play the kind of football he wants to play than in the senior squad. We obviously have a talented pool of players now developing from the reserves, all of whom look like they will cut it at some level in the permier league. Mix these in with some of the quality players we have in the senior squad, and a few new additions, and we'll have a very good squad of players that are all being trained to play in the same way.

I think that consistency will prove to be invaluable. Under MON the reserve and the senior teams seemed to play very different styles of football, and this meant it would have been very difficult to develop the reserves into the first team.  How many of the young players would he have developed and integrated into the team i wonder? It was hard enough for the subs to get a run out. They would have probably been yet more wasted assets. I wonder what the increase in value would be if you took the prices of Albrighton, Bannan, Clark, Hogg, Herd, Lihaj, Delfouneso at the start of the season and now?

When you think we also have the likes of, Delph, Gardner, Weimann, Collins etc., to possibly come through, then it's exciting times. Possibly not right now, but injuries have meant we have had to throw in the youngsters at the deep end a little quicker then we possibly would have wanted. But i think they have all pretty much given a good account of themselves and all of these players could find themselves playing regularly in a Villa shirt for a few years to come. 

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »

+ 1. Luke has been poor recently but he's still better than that accident waiting to happen.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »
I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to the reserves, is there a stellar left back just waiting to break through into the first team?

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »
Ellis Deeney impressed me when I watched him for the youth team last season. Reminded me of Freddy Bouma.

Captain of last years youth team. I don't know how old he is though.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 07:31:28 PM »
Ellis Deeney impressed me when I watched him for the youth team last season. Reminded me of Freddy Bouma.

Captain of last years youth team. I don't know how old he is though.

With a name like Ellis he will have a great bicycle kick I am sure, maybe a Bid on Wayne Bridge is on the cards!

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 07:49:28 PM »

LYoung is awful, and certainly should'nt play LB.

I thought yday, all the youngsters tried to play football all game.Even Licjah in his debut, tried to play football.Would perservere with Licjah at RB tbh.

Collins was the worst culprit yday for giving the ball away.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »
Albrighton, Bannan, Hogg, Clark and Lichaj always seem to look to pass the ball to a team-mate no matter where they are on the pitch and whether there is an opponent on top of them, which is a refreshing change.

I assume they have come into the first team playing like this as this is how they play in the reserves.

It's nice to see players who want to pass and recieve the ball, no matter the situation.

Obviously it'll go wrong on occasions, but for the amount of times they play themselves out of awkward positions, it's worth it and it's good to watch.

Does anyone watch the reserves regularly? Is this how the reserve team play?

I went to watch the U-9s play at Bodymoor Heath on Sunday morning. This 'pass and move' philosophy is encouraged at all levels. We beat Leicester 8-6, by the way.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »

+ 1. Luke has been poor recently but he's still better than that accident waiting to happen.

I agree with the sentiment but it would be better to have a left back at left back !  O'Neill copped a lot of flak for putting Luke Young on that side.

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 02:31:47 PM »
I'm not sure i'd drop Luke Young for Lichaj just yet

as well as Lichaj played, he was playing against Jerome Thomas

I realise its not Lichaj's fault who he was facing, but its abit risky dropping Young just like that after one decent game

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »
I said back in the summer that the club need a 'philosophy' of football that runs through from the youth level right up to the senior team. When we were looking for a new manager i read some articles by Jurgen Klinsmann that impressed me. He stressed the importance of having the junior, reserve and senior teams all playing the same type of football; so that the youth can develop naturally into the senior team and integrate easier because they all play the same style of football.

I think Houllier is the right manager for that and this was probably one of the main considerations for bringing him in in the first place. It's possibly the case that in the reserve and youth teams he has found more players that can play the kind of football he wants to play than in the senior squad. We obviously have a talented pool of players now developing from the reserves, all of whom look like they will cut it at some level in the permier league. Mix these in with some of the quality players we have in the senior squad, and a few new additions, and we'll have a very good squad of players that are all being trained to play in the same way.

I think that consistency will prove to be invaluable. Under MON the reserve and the senior teams seemed to play very different styles of football, and this meant it would have been very difficult to develop the reserves into the first team.  How many of the young players would he have developed and integrated into the team i wonder? It was hard enough for the subs to get a run out. They would have probably been yet more wasted assets. I wonder what the increase in value would be if you took the prices of Albrighton, Bannan, Clark, Hogg, Herd, Lihaj, Delfouneso at the start of the season and now?

When you think we also have the likes of, Delph, Gardner, Weimann, Collins etc., to possibly come through, then it's exciting times. Possibly not right now, but injuries have meant we have had to throw in the youngsters at the deep end a little quicker then we possibly would have wanted. But i think they have all pretty much given a good account of themselves and all of these players could find themselves playing regularly in a Villa shirt for a few years to come. 

Interesting post Dribbler.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »
What will be interesting is how many games the likes of Bannan, Clark, Lichaj, Hogg and Delfouneso get to play come the middle of February when the old guard are back from injury and we've had a transfer window.

To his credit Gerard is favouring them to Carew and Ireland at present and not using them as an excuse for recent poor results.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »
What will be interesting is how many games the likes of Bannan, Clark, Lichaj, Hogg and Delfouneso get to play come the middle of February when the old guard are back from injury and we've had a transfer window.

To his credit Gerard is favouring them to Carew and Ireland at present and not using them as an excuse for recent poor results.

Let's hope they're not getting too many games and risking being burned out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal