collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Football Focus  (Read 10967 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Football Focus
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »
Can't find it on the BBC iPlayer.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 07:53:40 AM »
go to sport and you should find it

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 07:57:46 AM »
I'll use the above link when I get back from work.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
In all fairness there has always been money to spend.....

Its been a question of

a) How much ? and

b) Whether the Chairman had the confidence in the Manager to allow him to spend it

The General said it was about sorting out the wage bill first. I imagine that might be relaxed slightly to allow GH to add to the squad in January but it is clearly still an issue.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:34 AM »
I found it interesting that 'no money for transfers and losing his top players' was Mon's reason for leaving.

Still a decent effort really but then any effort on the Villa is so  rare its bound to be decent. We have needed to sort out our PR for years, right back to the Ellis times and we still have not.

Didn't think Faulkner came accross too well, but then he's a dealer behind the scenes man rather than an up front spokesman I'd guess.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 09:58:29 AM »

Its been a question of

a) How much ? and

b) Whether the Chairman had the confidence in the Manager to allow him to spend it

The General said it was about sorting out the wage bill first. I imagine that might be relaxed slightly to allow GH to add to the squad in January but it is clearly still an issue.
According to the Times, Ireland is on £65,000pw.
Fucking him off will help the figures.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 05:44:43 PM »
I really enjoyed this half hour of coverage.

I loved the overview of our history, the shots of the Wesleyan Chapel, Aston Park, and Villa Park looking amazing from every angle. It was a great reminder of the pride I feel for our club.
I loved that the presenter has the air of a kid at Christmas dong the programme and had a giggle at his "look what happens when you walk out through the tunnel" - he radiated a fan's level of enthusiasm which really made me smile.
I also loved this derby being given the recognition of dedicating the show to it.

Then I've come to this thread and it's all about how much money we've got in January - I think this is why modern football is rubbish

Thing is, with the first paragraph we all feel that anyway. yes, its great. But when you're where we are in the table, with the upheaval we've gone through over the past 4 months, I think your final sentence it what is really interesting us most at the moment. If we were sitting a few places higher then we'd even shrug our shoulders if we didn't purchase anyone in january, now i think this place would implode if not.

None of you could find a thread anywhere else on this board to discuss that then?

It wasn't even that it was mentioned, it was that it then proceeded to descend into the same petty argument that inhabits every other thread. However - my swipe wasn't at those people - it was at modern football.

Modern football is rubbish because it all comes down to money in a way it never did in the past. So you can look at our history, and all the reasons we love the club, and wipe it out with an immediate swathe of message board misery about money, because we haven't talked about that anywhere near enough.

If we don't buy anyone in January, this message board might implode, but there'll still be Aston Villa, and most of us too.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 06:10:42 PM »
I agree with most of what you say amfy.

I guess the frustration for many is that when you see a programme like that you wonder can we ever scale those heights again. We had a window of opportunity in 2006 and looked like we were definitely on the move in the calendar year of 2008.

For the first time in a while we're well off the pace, have had a number of sides previously on a par with us eclipse us and most recently -to add insult to injury- we've helped the plebs down the road to a semi final, when that looked like our only realistic chance of success this year.

Before I always had a sense of certainty that we will be back. Not that we had a divine right to success, but big clubs with a bit of impetuous tend to have a better chance than clubs with no pedigree or previous track record of success.

Even if we spent a few years struggling at the arse end of the table (as we did mid-late 80's) when we finally got our act together (as per 89/90 and 92/93) it wasn't hailed as a plucky underdog defying the odds. It was seen by most as a big club returning to form.

But with each passing year that kind of status slips.  To the neutral we're synonymous with mid table mediocrity - with the odd exception here and there. As much as I cherish our history my fear is that we'll eventually be like a PNE or Huddersfield Town. Nothing wrong with those clubs. But the bigger clubs tend to target what they're going to win next rather than reminiscing about former glories.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 07:25:47 PM »
Mid table mediocracy??? Only Man U, Chelsea, Arsenel and Liverpool have got more points than us in nearly 20 years of the premier league,

So by my reckoning we are a top club that belongs towards the top of the table.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 10:42:30 PM »
I found this on youtube, it is just the live forum but always good to hear from Dion and Cyrille, Keown can bugger off for all I care. A great bit of Villa footage from about 5 mins 45 onwards!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKrNjKGC_-w

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 10:45:09 PM »
I don't think we had 3 managers in 1 season, Keown loves talking nonsense... Fantastic Brummy accent from the first guy too!

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »

Its been a question of

a) How much ? and

According to the Times, Ireland is on £65,000pw.
Fucking him off will help the figures.
Carew, Beye, Warnock, Reo-Coker and Sidwell leaving could easily free up £250k on the weekly wage bill so I wouldn't expect the stagnating wage bill to be a problem for too much longer.

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
Just watched this, has anyone on here met Paul Faulkner?  Does he always look like he's petrified of what the next question will be?  He looked like a frightened rabbit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal