collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: From the General  (Read 12696 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
From the General
« on: December 10, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »
He's asked us to post this.

Quote from: General Krulak
"I believe that the time has come to take a break.  NOT because I am concerned about the "good, bad and ugly" that might come from the thread but, rather, because any comments I make become cannon fodder for the media...and that media has no qualms about twisting my words to be incendiary.  At the end of the day, this does not help the Club nor does it help the Fans.

Heroes and Villains is a hugely important site...and one that has had a major impact on how the Club has proceeded over the past few years.  Like Vital Villa and Villa Talk, Heroes and Villains has, been important to me personally and to the Club.  Every member should be proud of what they have accomplished over the years.  I have grown to appreciate, respect and admire those who have taken the time to post on my thread...even though some of the posts could be pretty rough at times.  As I have said many times, you pay for your ticket, you have the right to comment!

For those who have thought that I was only a PR stunt for the Club or a "spin-meister"...believe me, you are wrong.  I have tried, at all times, to be honest and straight forward on every subject.  I have given my honest opinion at all times and have attempted to make the distinction between me as a Fan and me as a Board Member.  Unfortunately, the media has never been able to make that distinction and that has been THE problem.

As General Douglas McArthur said, 'I shall return'."
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:13:41 PM by Mac »

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: From the general
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
Wise decision, the media keep using that thread for misleading soundbites.
Best all round, for now.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:45:42 PM »

As General Douglas McArthur said, 'I shall return'."

I hope this is so  however if it's  not as McArthur said it is:
"Today marks my final roll call with you. But I want you to know that  my  thoughts will be of the Villa, and the Villa, and the Villa.

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
Agree with Mark.  It's a shame though.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:52:14 PM »
I agree with Mark as well, it's a shame the media have hijacked the thread and misquoted the General. But it is sensible to leave it for a while.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »
I agree with Mark as well, it's a shame the media have hijacked the thread and misquoted the General. But it is sensible to leave it for a while.

A shame yes. A suprise, no.

Very sensible decision.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »
Thanks General... very much appreciate the feedback you've given.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 06:06:43 PM »
A shame, but I would like to add a qualification.

It was great to be engaging with the fans when everything in the garden was rosy, i.e. when most Villa fans were happy that the person in charge wasn't Doug, the manager was the one that nearly every other fan would want in charge at their club, and the team were on the up.

However, I would suggest that if you're happy to do it then, it becomes, if anything, even more important to do it when things aren't as rosy.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »
A shame, but I would like to add a qualification.

It was great to be engaging with the fans when everything in the garden was rosy, i.e. when most Villa fans were happy that the person in charge wasn't Doug, the manager was the one that nearly every other fan would want in charge at their club, and the team were on the up.

However, I would suggest that if you're happy to do it then, it becomes, if anything, even more important to do it when things aren't as rosy.

He would like to still do it, but the way his words are being mis-used make it difficult.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »

He tried, but you saw as well as I did what chaos his thread descended into after Monday night.
It was ten pages of ranting Mr. Angrys, one post from The General saying he does not comment on playing matters but for us to believe that everyone at the club was determined to get through this, then another ten pages of ranting!
There may have been some good, honest questions in there, but I wouldn't have liked to try to find them amongst the dregs.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »
Capital G for General, dave.

Offline woo

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »
we were very lucky to have this sort of contact with the club and a real shame it's come to this. I hope I'm wrong but can't see it coming back. If the media misquoted it once they'll do it again.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »
Thin end of the wedge I suspect.

Offline jembob

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »
Shows what a dreadful state journalism is in. So many media articles these days are copy and paste from press releases or other websites and little original thought makes it to print. All media outlets crave Coverage, and it matters little whether the truth is told or not as long as they can maintain advertising revenue.

General Krulak's posts have provided an invaluable insight the redevelopment of the club and his views have always been forthright and honest. This facility has now been lost thanks to some dimwit reporter who can't be bothered to get up off their arse and find out the news for themselves. I would suggest that we use the rest of this thread to gather the names of the publications who have obviously been to H&V and have distorted the General's words. We can then make sure that we never buy any of their lousy stuff again, and subsequently take every opportunity to damage their circulation.

Offline Slaphead

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
How about the General has a thread where only he can post in order to update us? A bit like the Villa website but better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal