collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 33 Years ago today  (Read 16783 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: 33 Years ago today
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »
I can still hear it now, that crack that seemed to echo in an absolute chill quiet . I don't remember any of the goals of that game, or of that season, but I'll never forget that sound; it was the first moment in my life as a spectator, I suppose, when sport suddenly seemed like mortality. Major injuries always announce themselves immediately; teammates know the worst has happened, so do fans, so does the player. The suspension of disbelief that surrounds the match is punctured, the injury allows a different, messier register of understanding back into a stadium. What has seemed play, suddenly is real; where all before was speed and recklessness, now all is care and slowness.

That's how I remember it too.  I don't remember the goals just the result.  But that tackle will stay with me forever.

Cropley was a real hero of mine and is one ex-player that I would love to meet, so much so that when I'm i Edinburgh I find myself peering into taxis around Waverly station in the hope that he might be one of the drivers.

Offline Lew Chatterleys Lover

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »
Shouldn't laugh, I know, but just saw Frank Carrodus mentioned in the same breath as Cowans and Cropley.

Carrodus - like Des Bremner - was a very decent servant and ran his legs off for the Villa, but don't EVER compare them to Sid and Alex.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:36:49 PM by Lew Chatterleys Lover »

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »
Andy Gray scored at the Witton End from a John Gidman free kick about eight minutes into injury time in the first half - typical header where the boots were flying.

I also remember Gray grabbing Brown by the throat in the middle of a huge melee as Cropley sat in the middle of it all.

I'm sure it was on MOTD so they will be footage somewhere.

The Albion game was huge back then, mainly because during the Saunders era they had a side that was often comparable with ours. Even when we won the league, they finished third I think.

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »
4-0 at the end of the brilliant 76/77 season (last home game I think) - Andy Gray hat trick after his goals had dried up a bit in the 2nd half of that season ("Andy is back"). One of the many times we scored 4 or 5 at home that year.

The 4-3 in the mid 80 s sticks out - opening day of the season and a great game (played in an awful kit) but I really recall the huge ovations Sir Dennis got everytime he took a corner or got anywhere near a touchline - it was clear he would not be around much longer and it was a great tribute.

Offline ebtv

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 03:40:31 PM »
The writer of that Guardian article was right, there was something evil about the atmosphere that day.  The Albion players had decided their best hope of beating us was to kick us off the park and the referee - I'm sure his name was Jim Bent - was never in control. 

The Villa players were pretty wild after the injury, Gray and Gidman in particular - I can clearly remember Gidman, in the right back position in front of the old tunnel, swinging so wildly at a clearance that the ball ended up going out for a corner near the opposite corner flag. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 03:52:48 PM »
Andy Gray scored at the Witton End from a John Gidman free kick about eight minutes into injury time in the first half - typical header where the boots were flying.

I also remember Gray grabbing Brown by the throat in the middle of a huge melee as Cropley sat in the middle of it all.

I'm sure it was on MOTD so they will be footage somewhere.

The Albion game was huge back then, mainly because during the Saunders era they had a side that was often comparable with ours. Even when we won the league, they finished third I think.

It was televised. I cannot remember being at the game but remember watching it on telly afterwards.

Offline mozza

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 03:56:07 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of my age.............seems like yesterday - awful tackle
which spoiled a good result and needlessly ended a player's career 

Offline ebtv

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »
Yes, it was on MOTD, but I suppose for understandable editorial reasons the match coverage glossed over the incident a bit - so when Albion and the ref were booed off at half time it came over on TV as evidence of a little local dispute rather than justified anger at what had happened - which the people who were there, myself included, clearly still feel when thinking back to it. 

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 04:02:43 PM »
It's funny to think that any time I've been in a cab in Edinburgh that I might have been driven round by a former Villain.

Funny that we are playing them almost to the day with a small attacking Scottish midfielder in the team.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »
Pretty sure that was the first match that the North Stand was opened fully also.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 04:24:45 PM »
Shouldn't laugh, I know, but just saw Frank Carrodus mentioned in the same breath as Cowans and Cropley.

Carrodus - like Des Bremner - was a very decent servant and ran his legs off for the Villa, but don't EVER compare them to Sid and Alex.

The best tributes you can pay them is to ask their team-mates' opinions.

Offline Lew Chatterleys Lover

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »

Bit like Emile Heskey then?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »

Bit like Emile Heskey then?

On the day Emile Heskey wins a European Cup winners medal.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »
It's funny to think that any time I've been in a cab in Edinburgh that I might have been driven round by a former Villain.

Funny that we are playing them almost to the day with a small attacking Scottish midfielder in the team.

' Five-foot eight, not much weight, Barry Bannan's fucking great, la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la.'

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
My Dad and Uncles have told me about Alex Cropley and the injury and how great a player he was
(and could have been), they're always more animated about him and their hate for the albion because of that game. I don't think I have ever seen the injury on tv and don't think I would want to, come on Villa let's beat them albion bastards.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal