collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Not the General Krulak Thread  (Read 34774 times)

Offline pestria

Not the General Krulak Thread
« on: December 09, 2010, 08:20:53 AM »
Dave

An interesting decision to lock a thread which was asking perfectly reasonable questions about what the General saw as the role of the club's board, and on what issues they were working hard - which were prompted incidently by the General's own comments. 

I'll admit I've never been 100% convinced by this board, from the very early days I never knew why they needed to compulsory purchase all the existing shares.  But to be fair they made a promising start, I readily acknowledge the good work they did and the funds made available to buy players.  And obviously it was much appreciated that the board were trying to listen to  fans through the message boards.

But the start was the easy bit.  Essentially picking off the low lying fruit.  Now times are tougher it appears they don't like criticism and awkward questions.

I'll repeat what I've said previously here.  This board is replaying all the mistakes of old (burning cash on moderate players, meddling in buying players, lurching into managerial appointments, poor marketing, not developing overseas scouting networks).  Lerner is in danger of becoming an american version of HDE but without the ego and the occasional trophy.

Maybe we should be satisfied with that, but when they're talking the talk and not walking the walk then it's legitimate to ask questions.

AP

Offline VillaZogmariner

Re: Not the General Krulak Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:35:26 AM »
Each to their own and all that. But what a load of old tripe.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »
I think the General has answered the questions.  As for not trusting the board that's your choice, but I don't know what makes you distrust the board.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »
I'll admit I've never been 100% convinced by this board

Who can blame you?

Everything they've done from day 1 has helped to destabilise the club.

The wholesale improvements to Bodymoor Heath to make us one of the country's best training grounds

The £3m yearly investment in the Academy

The seemingly limitless funds given to the previous manager

The open dialogue between fans message boards and a member of the club's board

The never ending work on making the club more customer friendly

The General is never endingly asked about playing matters, something which has been endlessly stated as a no go area at least 366 times, so the thread is temporarily shut to let things simmer down and you have a hissy fit.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:01:20 AM by 8 Ace Fletcher »

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 09:02:23 AM »
Dave was right to lock the thread to allow things to calm down.Compared to the thread on VT this one is tame.No wonder the media are having a field day this morning ::)

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:03:31 AM »
Now times are tougher it appears they don't like criticism and awkward questions.

That is probably why a member of the board spends so much time reading (and replying to) criticism and awkward questions on every Aston Villa message board.

Offline eastie

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:10:46 AM »
very impressed by the generals openness in his last post - its sad that he cant express his views without the press latching onto it , but i think randy needs to be a bit more media friendly or at least communicate with us once a month on the website , the general is an asset but in times of trouble he must expect hard questions to be asked and i respect him for his frankness!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:13:13 AM by east19 »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 09:22:59 AM »
We have the best board and the best chairman in the Premiership.

Jumping up and down with the General on the Holte when Der Hammer showed the Noses his big one is probably my best memory of Villa Park in nearly 70 years.

We do not know how lucky we are to have Randy and the General.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »
I couldn't agree more Brian.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 09:43:25 AM »
I think the ONLY fair criticism of the board is the decision to appoint Houllier.  Now to me that isn't worthy of criticism, but it is to be at least questioned while results are so poor, but should others do so fair enough.

Beyond that Randy & Co have done nothing but good for the club and we're lucky to have them.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
I too think we're very luck to have the board we have.

Unfortunately the open dialogue can be a double edged sword when the press have the field day they're having today. It makes it look like there is internal conflict in the club and heaps further pressure on the manager and players for Saturday.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 10:14:32 AM »
I too think we're very luck to have the board we have.

Unfortunately the open dialogue can be a double edged sword when the press have the field day they're having today. It makes it look like there is internal conflict in the club and heaps further pressure on the manager and players for Saturday.
this is my worry. The team are going to feel like they're on a knife edge let's hope it pumps them up not crack them up

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 10:19:20 AM »

But the start was the easy bit.  Essentially picking off the low lying fruit.  Now times are tougher it appears they don't like criticism and awkward questions.

The General answered the criticism, or did you not see his reply through your red mist from Monday night?
What exactly do you expect him to say?

"Yes, you're right, Randy has failed, he'll be selling up as soon as he can, good luck Aston Villa."

Offline Merv

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 10:25:40 AM »
I can't see that the board have done much wrong since they were put in place four years ago, to be honest.

Martin O'Neill was backed totally in the transfer market, as far as I can tell; his total net spend during his time at Villa Park put us right up there in terms of PL spenders. The quality of certain players he signed? Well, that's not the remit of the board.

Jury's out on Houllier, but the guy hasn't even begin to be able to make any changes yet. I am pleased, however, that the club recognised the need to build a better coaching infrastructure and we now have a promising assistant manager, and rightful promotions for club legends like Cowans, who now has an input in first team matters. Our youth policy is now being rightfully recognised as among the best, if not the best, in the country.

If the main thrust of criticism if not answering every single question on a fans' forum..... ask yourself this: how many club directors are regular and active members of such forums? I'll wager one. We were screaming for an apology from Houllier after his odd post-match comments - and we got one, 24 hours later. Can't ask for a lot more than that.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 10:28:45 AM »
We would be relegated if Randy weren't here.

I love how Randy doesn't shout his mouth off, he stays quiet and uses the general as a way of communicating.

Things will get better and better!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal