collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jol  (Read 19939 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Jol
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »
I didn't hear as many people moaning (although there were a few) when Houllier was appointed, as are moaning now that we have not had the results recently (and admittedly played shit the last few games). Which to me, means a few people seem to have a very short term outlook.

You simply can't appoint a manager like Houllier and then sack him after a few months. He needs this season and next season, minimum. We won't go down, although it could be close. Have we suddenly turned into Newcastle with our clamour for hiring and firing?

Let's not forget, the man came in after the season had started at (relatively) short notice, none of his own signings and trying to get a grip on things way after rest of the field are out of the gates and into the first corner. Its easy to say, but I just hope everybody could get behind the manager and the team  and see where we are at the end of the season. Looks as though we'll be nearer the bottom 6 than the top 6 on current evidence, but he's got to be allowed at least one, preferrably 2 summer transfer windows to make an impact.

The short termism of football really frustrates me sometimes.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »
I didn't hear as many people moaning (although there were a few) when Houllier was appointed, as are moaning now that we have not had the results recently (and admittedly played shit the last few games). Which to me, means a few people seem to have a very short term outlook.

Could be.

Or it could be that the vast majority were prepared to give him a chance but since then he's done his best to talk himself out of a job?

Perhaps uniquely in this case, it's not results that may do for him. Though in truth they haven't been to clever either.

If Jol, Coyle, Moyes or anyone else had been appointed and came out with the type of guff he has -pretty much from day one- I think they'd struggle too. Whether that was three weeks, three months or three years into the job.  And two of those would have been viewed as popular choices initially.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »
As you say -  could be. I just don't agree with taking weeks and weeks to find, supposedly, the right manager and then getting rid because it hasn't immediately worked out. He has to be given a proper chance, not least because if we get rid now, then we will start to be seen as one of those joke clubs that change the manager every few months. I know the results haven't been great, but some of the football has been pretty good at (rare) times up until recently. I know we lost to Blues in the cup and surrendered after 20 mins to Liverpool, but look at the wider story - ravaged by injury, half a team of kids, poor confidence and not a great deal of luck currently and we are where we are in the league proabably deservedly. Hopefully we've reached our trough and will show better in the 2nd half of the season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal