collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The week of THE REAL BIRMINGHAM DERBY  (Read 15279 times)

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
Re: The week of THE REAL BIRMINGHAM DERBY
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »
My life will be Hell if we lose Saturday

At least we beat the Wolves.
Just. Have no issues with Wolves at all

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »
I'm going into hiding and cutting off all means of communication if/when we lose.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »
Far more posts on here for Blues threads than Baggies also.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »
Only because all the youngsters have had the villa-blose game rammed down their throats. Albion is the proper derby for me too, at least they're reasonably successful when you look at their honours list.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2010, 09:37:29 PM »
I wonder, should West Brom win, if their fans will invade the pitch and carry on like they've just been crowned World Champions and toss chairs, coins and phlegm. Or will they simply realise that they're having a storming season (by their mediocre standards), whilst Villa are going through a nightmare period?

I still laugh at the noses doing what they did. Do that not realise that the rest of the country (and other parts of the planet) look on in amazement at how small-time they are?

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 10:05:26 AM »
Obviously it aint a "Birmingham" derby, in the truest sense, but it's a local derby ( Hawthorns and St Andrews are pretty much the same distance from Villa Park) with a fantastic history. Villa and Albion were playing each other in FA cup finals before Blues ( or Man United, liverpool, Spurs etc  ) even existed.

As founder members of the Football League - the oldest league in the world - Villa v Albion is the oldest local derby in the country and by default must be the oldest local derby in the world. I really don't know why much more fuss isn't made of this. We've got the sort of history and tradition in this game that the Big 4 couldn't buy. Imagine if Liverpool v Everton had anything like the same origins as Villa v Albion - you'd be sick to death of the media wanking on about it.

Relatively recent rivalry with Blues can't change facts.

Obviously Blues is the bigger game now but Albion is by far the most traditional rivalry though.

Oh, and anyone who thinks that Albion fans are a bunch of fair-minded, sporting neighbours has obviously never been chased from the Hawthorns back to Smethwick Rolfe Street by them.....on several occasions

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
Oh, and anyone who thinks that Albion fans are a bunch of fair-minded, sporting neighbours has obviously never been chased from the Hawthorns back to Smethwick Rolfe Street by them.....on several occasions

Must have fancied you Chico.

Offline Lee

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »
Obviously it aint a "Birmingham" derby, in the truest sense, but it's a local derby ( Hawthorns and St Andrews are pretty much the same distance from Villa Park) with a fantastic history. Villa and Albion were playing each other in FA cup finals before Blues ( or Man United, liverpool, Spurs etc  ) even existed.

As founder members of the Football League - the oldest league in the world - Villa v Albion is the oldest local derby in the country and by default must be the oldest local derby in the world. I really don't know why much more fuss isn't made of this. We've got the sort of history and tradition in this game that the Big 4 couldn't buy. Imagine if Liverpool v Everton had anything like the same origins as Villa v Albion - you'd be sick to death of the media wanking on about it.

Relatively recent rivalry with Blues can't change facts.

Obviously Blues is the bigger game now but Albion is by far the most traditional rivalry though.

.. or had seven bales kicked out of you at playtime. It does help that I speak the Lingo

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
or had seven bales kicked out of you at playtime

I didn't realise you were a teacher, Lee

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »
I don't live in Brum any more (Great Barr area), but when I did my experience was that in the rare occasion they did have a half decent season, Albion fans would suddenly start appearing like mushrooms after the rain. Is any of that happening now?

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 12:42:16 PM »
my experience was that in the rare occasion they did have a half decent season, Albion fans would suddenly start appearing like mushrooms after the rain. Is any of that happening now?

Described to perfection. That's exactly what they're like still

Offline Lee

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »

or had seven bales kicked out of you at playtime

I didn't realise you were a teacher, Lee

I should have clarified, that it was when I was at school :-)

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 09:41:15 AM »
my experience was that in the rare occasion they did have a half decent season, Albion fans would suddenly start appearing like mushrooms after the rain. Is any of that happening now?

Described to perfection. That's exactly what they're like still

Spot on

Talk of Europe as well

The halfwits

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal