collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How long before......  (Read 23834 times)

Offline Villa'Zawg

Re: How long before......
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2010, 11:15:17 PM »
If this is how he wants to play I can see him looking at replacing the whole back 4 with new players in the next 2 windows.

I think we'd be OK passing wise with a central partnership of Collins and Clark, which could be his longterm thinking, but I am increasingly expecting to see two new fullbacks brought in.

Cueller, Collins, Dunne and L Young was the tightest defence in the league last season when they played together.

Blimey?!

I spent ages last season arguing with you on various threads that our defence record was much better when Luke was in our back 4 and now you've used that quote!

Tsk.

If you did argue with me it would most probably have been because you were advocating replacing Cuellar with Young. I consistently argued that Carlos at RB was the right choice due to the cover he provided for Dunne/Collins and at set-pieces.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2010, 07:45:19 AM »
I am deeply depressed at the piece in yesterday's NoTW that we are hoping to get Miete on loan from the Albion in January.   Is that what Aston Villa Football Club has come to? Borrowing the Albion's cast offs?   

If that is the measure of our ambitions relegation beckons.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2010, 10:21:12 AM »
I am deeply depressed at the piece in yesterday's NoTW that we are hoping to get Miete on loan from the Albion in January.   Is that what Aston Villa Football Club has come to? Borrowing the Albion's cast offs?   

I don't get over excited by links with Benzema and I don't get overly worked up bu ones like this either.  Know why?  Because they're both made up crap.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2010, 10:45:42 AM »

I don't get over excited by links with Benzema and I don't get overly worked up bu ones like this either.  Know why?  Because they're both made up crap.

Your logic is impeccable and I completely agree, John M

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »
There are mitigating circumstances, injuries etc but no job is easy at this level. The players in many cases are on the wane but this is a squad of pretty solid players with some exciting young players coming through. It is not ideal but even with all those mitigating circumstances we should be doing better. This is the worst EPL season in terms of quality in recent seasons. Even with injuries I still think we have had a better group of individuals on the pitch than Fulham, Blackburn, Sunderland etc. I get the feeling that Houllier isn't overly enamoured with the players he has and with the likes of Young stalling on a contract I reckon some of the players aren't fully gone on him either. But it is up to the manager to get the most out of the players at his disposal and to be frank that is not happening at the moment. To be fair I thought Houllier improved the defence from the shambles of Kevin Macs reign but since Reo Coker's injury we have reverted to that shambles again with all players struggling individually and collectively. The team quite honestly look a soft touch at the moment, easy on the
eye but capitulate under pressure.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »
There are mitigating circumstances, injuries etc but no job is easy at this level. The players in many cases are on the wane but this is a squad of pretty solid players with some exciting young players coming through. It is not ideal but even with all those mitigating circumstances we should be doing better. This is the worst EPL season in terms of quality in recent seasons. Even with injuries I still think we have had a better group of individuals on the pitch than Fulham, Blackburn, Sunderland etc. I get the feeling that Houllier isn't overly enamoured with the players he has and with the likes of Young stalling on a contract I reckon some of the players aren't fully gone on him either. But it is up to the manager to get the most out of the players at his disposal and to be frank that is not happening at the moment. To be fair I thought Houllier improved the defence from the shambles of Kevin Macs reign but since Reo Coker's injury we have reverted to that shambles again with all players struggling individually and collectively. The team quite honestly look a soft touch at the moment, easy on the
eye but capitulate under pressure.

All that, plus, no cutting edge.

We had so much of the ball at the Sty without really troubling their defence.

Re. Houllier, agnostic seems to be the word.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2010, 01:00:06 PM »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2010, 01:04:17 PM »
Like I said, anyone who wants him out is a borderline mentalist

http://astonvilla-views.com/2010/12/01/late-goals-and-rubbish-defending-cost-us-and-houllier-does-nothing-avfc/#more-7434

The prosecution rests, m'lud.

I've just spit tea all over my screen.

Christ almighty!

At Robo's mentalness, not your tea spluttering, Lee.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2010, 09:30:42 PM »
If this is how he wants to play I can see him looking at replacing the whole back 4 with new players in the next 2 windows.

I think we'd be OK passing wise with a central partnership of Collins and Clark, which could be his longterm thinking, but I am increasingly expecting to see two new fullbacks brought in.

Cueller, Collins, Dunne and L Young was the tightest defence in the league last season when they played together.

Blimey?!

I spent ages last season arguing with you on various threads that our defence record was much better when Luke was in our back 4 and now you've used that quote!

Tsk.

If you did argue with me it would most probably have been because you were advocating replacing Cuellar with Young. I consistently argued that Carlos at RB was the right choice due to the cover he provided for Dunne/Collins and at set-pieces.

Nope wrong again.

My main point was Young should've been at RB and Carlos should've replaced Collins alongside Dunney as i felt that was marginally the better combination at the time before Dunne became a fat lazy slob again.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:32:49 PM by SoccerHQ »

Online nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2010, 10:01:39 PM »
er.....about now? Have a look at the post match thread. As Nev text me  the day MON left "we will rue the day"

Offline gervilla

« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2010, 10:03:36 PM »
Im predicting when we are 2 down to Albion after 20 minutes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal