collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How long before......  (Read 23839 times)

Offline django

Re: How long before......
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 12:53:06 AM »
I don't think it would take long unfortunately. Whatever the reasons oneil left, it's not a typical state for a club to change manager. We as fans have become used to a certain level of results and currently are falling well short of that. New managers should be given time but normally they come in when a manager has left after underperforming and expectations are low.

Houllier has had rotten luck with injuries but more worryingly as kevingages post above illustrated when comparing us to blose it highlights the problems with our squad. Unlike the other teams around us with mid table squads though we have a fanbase with higher than midtable expectations and that's going to put a lot more pressure on houllier, however undeserved, in the same way as hodgson at Liverpool.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 05:49:31 AM »
Like any manager Gerard Houllier will be judged on the league table at the end of the season – I say that with confidence because I don’t believe the owners will be stupid enough to push him out if results do not improve quickly. Put simply, is there a better realistic candidate out there that we would be gunning for?

He needs to bring in players he wants, to whittle down our injury list and to have time to coach the squad to play his way. By common consent of people in the game this can only be done pre-season, so we have to accept that this is very much a painful transition season for us.

There are genuine positive signs in our play but we are defending poorly as a team and we do not convert enough chances, Man U and Fulham being gold plated examples of this in the past few weeks. Some individuals are also well below last season’s form – Warnock and Luke Young in particular, and Carew looks like a plodder when he does appear.  At the moment I am fearful of a relegation battle but hope the transfer window and returning players will make a difference, primarily in experience and guile, since the youngsters are doing better than I expected.

I am hoping this will be a replica of O’Leary’s first season where we were pretty poor until December when a 1-0 win over Southampton sparked a cracking run of form after which we never looked back. In reality improved football, enough points to stave off fears of a relegation battle and wins in all our remaining derbies will keep me patient for this season. But I would then expect far more next season - this is the same squad that has finished 6th for three consecutive years.

Offline MAGNAN VILLAIN

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 07:54:06 AM »
For me this posting says it all ..

McLeish said before the match

"Two evenly matched teams, could go either way."

Surely this is an indication of how poorly we are playing at the moment, what an opportunity for the noses to crow about, pity it doesn't make them release how badly they are playing if we are the benchmark.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 07:55:27 AM »
He needs 3 seasons to sort it out, it's way too early to judge him yet.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 07:59:58 AM »
It will be a long time and rightly so. He's got a completely inherited side, which is crippled by injury. He has to be given the chance to stamp his mark on the side and get players in who he wants.

My thoughts exactly, barring the actions of a minority of idiots.

Offline peter w

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 08:06:10 AM »
There'll be discontent but I don't think any of it has been laid at Houllier's door. o'Neill takes a large chunk of the finger-pointing, and the board whatever is left. The time to judge Houllier will be next season. let's just hope we get through this one showing signs of promise for next season.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 08:09:41 AM »
If Villa had a full strength squad and were in this position then I think that suggesting that Houllier might not be the right manager could be justified.

However, the injury/illness situation means that he cannot really be judged yet.

In any case, I think that managers (short of being a total disaster) need to be given at least two transfer windows

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 08:42:47 AM »
A defeat against the Albion might start a bit of discontent amongst some. My view is that despite having players out, we should be beating or at least getting a point out of teams like Blackburn and Small Heath.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 09:20:05 AM »
thing is Houllier is the manager its his coaching staff his regime and sadly Mon's squad.
Many of us suggested it wasn't good enough to cope with too many injuries to key players and that's how its panned out, but Houllier has the job and if it goes sour its his fault.
Yes there are all sorts of mitigating circumstances for which I mostly blame Mon, but its Houllier who carries the blame if it goes wrong and no matter how much we don't like thosse who dare criticise they have every right to if they must.
The real losers though are those who still desire to back and support the traiterorous shit who caused the problem even when its obvious he's done far more harm to the club simply by ensuring his own inflated ego remains intact.
I hope GH pulls it off, it will not be easy.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 09:30:41 AM »
There'll be discontent but I don't think any of it has been laid at Houllier's door.

I'd disagree with that.

I'm far from wanting him out or anthing like that and can see what he's trying to do and am glad with the direction he seems to want to take us in.  Further more he gets a LOT of leeway from the fact he's had a crippling injury list and not been able to sign his own players.

But......

He's had the same basic defence as last year, yet we've been shit at the back with silly errors costing us goals and games.  Why?

A lot on here criticised MON for not trying 4-5-1 more often.  For me it's about variation, so why has he NEVER started with two strikers?  (Maybe slightly unfair that given the injuries)

Ireland may have been shit, but I don't think the way he's handling him will ever work with his fragile personality/confidence.  OK if he wants him out, but otherwise it shows poor man management, IMO.

Like I said, anyone who wants him out is a borderline mentalist, yet we should be doing better than we are.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »
Some numpties are calling for his head already on here, so unfortunately I'm not sure how long it will be. He needs a season at the absolute least to be able to make his mark on the squad.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
If Houllier had been year for say 2 seasons wand won 2 in 11 his job would be on the line

he has to be given time but what happens if we end up winning say 3 out of 15?

Offline pedro25

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 09:33:31 AM »
Don't get what he's trying to do at all, our 4 backs are stoppers first and foremost yet he's trying to use them to pass the ball forward and start all attacks, they are obviously not comfortable with this and their nervousness is showing in the mistakes they are making.  Davies, Cuellar and Beye in reserve are even worse at distribution, so I don't know why he's not trying to play to the strengths of the squad rather than force players to be what they clearly are not.  If this is how he wants to play I can see him looking at replacing the whole back 4 with new players in the next 2 windows.  I hate the fact we roll over so easily to poor teams like Blackburn and concede so many late goals.  I don't think we were any better earlier this season with Petrov and NRC in the team either, just look at the Vienna, Stoke and Newcastle games, so I don't accept having those 2 back will make a dramatic difference, it will help obviously, but even with them fit central midfield is a weaker area for us.  I thought his tactics v Blues at home were rotten and probably Arsenal too, Pires and Carew were like statues, Ireland and Delfouneso should have started.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 09:35:40 AM »
I disagree that he's not played 2 up front, he's done that frequently this season, Young has played up front numerous times.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 09:38:13 AM »
If this is how he wants to play I can see him looking at replacing the whole back 4 with new players in the next 2 windows.

I think we'd be OK passing wise with a central partnership of Collins and Clark, which could be his longterm thinking, but I am increasingly expecting to see two new fullbacks brought in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal