collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Injuries- that big an issue?  (Read 8882 times)

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
Injuries- that big an issue?
« on: December 01, 2010, 11:57:42 PM »
Having a look at the injury list as people keep mentioning how these have affected the team and have cost us tonight but really has it been that much of an issue?

I know we have missed Gabby as has been demonstrated in his last 2 games and its great to see him back.but the others are primarily youngsters that haven't done anything at the club yet or older players who have spent the last 2 years being called 'shit' and 'not good enough'. 

So whats changed?

M Albrighton - got Bannan, Young and Downing in same position.
 C Cuellar    - crap in possession, gives ball away constantly
 S Sidwell    - Useless?
 N Reo-Coker - Shit, not good enough sell to Fulham etc?
 E Heskey    - Donkey Eeyore etc?
 S Petrov   - Too old passenger?
 A Weimann -  youngster
 F Delph - youngster

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Injuries- that big an issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:02:42 AM »
You say Petrov is too old and a passenger, that NRC is not good enough, that Sidwell is shit (alright, I'll give you that one, there's no answer there) but tonight we started with two players with a combined age approxmately that of our goal keeper in midfield today.

Hogg and Bannan also started against Manchester United recently.  I can honestly say I had never heard of Jonathon Hogg until Rapid Vienna away.  How much better off would we have been with the experience and calm head of Petrov?

Or the tenacity of NRC? Or, errr, the invisibility of Sidwell? Ok, forget that one, then.

The situation is a very long way from being ideal.

i do think it is an interesting point, however, that the players who have let us down are by and large the more experienced ones.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
NRC and Albrighton are the main players that we could do with back. NRC provides energy and bite in the middle and Marc has been one of the best players this season.

Heskey was in fine form but was only covering for the injured Gabby and although Cuellar played well against Wolves he was dropped for the next game so it would remain to be seen whether he would come back into the team anyway.

Good options on the bench is the main advantage of having the players back.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:05:27 AM by Kent Neilsens Screamer »

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:25:11 AM »
You say Petrov is too old and a passenger, that NRC is not good enough, that Sidwell is shit (alright, I'll give you that one, there's no answer there) but tonight we started with two players with a combined age approxmately that of our goal keeper in midfield today.

Hogg and Bannan also started against Manchester United recently.  I can honestly say I had never heard of Jonathon Hogg until Rapid Vienna away.  How much better off would we have been with the experience and calm head of Petrov?

Or the tenacity of NRC? Or, errr, the invisibility of Sidwell? Ok, forget that one, then.

The situation is a very long way from being ideal.

i do think it is an interesting point, however, that the players who have let us down are by and large the more experienced ones.
I'm not saying that, just highlighting what a majority of opinions have been about those players.

I just find it funny that the players people are crying out to return weren't good enough for us not so long ago.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:27:05 AM by itbrvilla »

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 12:40:16 AM »
Interesting point but it does give us options when they are back. Something we lack right now.

Albrighton and NRC would make a difference for me. And still waiting to see what Delph will offer us when he's up and running.

Also gives us a chance to drop Clark back to centre back maybe. I think him being more comfortable on the ball than Dunne or Collins would sit well with GH's philosophy.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 12:50:09 AM »
NRC and Albrighton would make a big difference , as would Delph.. I wouldnt even mind Heskey on the bench at the moment.   

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 12:56:05 AM »
NRC and Albrighton would make a big difference , as would Delph.. I wouldnt even mind Heskey on the bench at the moment.   

Heskey would have won us that game tonight. Just having someone in the box would have caused them all sorts of trouble.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:57:42 AM »

Heskey would have won us that game tonight. Just having someone in the box would have caused them all sorts of trouble.

the way he was playing , yes you are probaly right.. I would always have Heskey before JC

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 01:24:50 AM »
 M Albrighton - He's a different kind of option out wide and thus is a massive miss. He is a better crosser and more incisive than our other wingers.
C Cuellar    - He's a good solid stopper. If Dunne and Collins had been exhibiting their form from last season then we wouldn't miss them. With the two of them playing like clowns he is a big loss.
S Sidwell    - Who?
N Reo-Coker - I feel a lot of people overrate him if I'm honest but he'd be a good player to help Bannan as they would compliment each other in midfield.
E Heskey    - A focal point to the attack. We have missed him. Even with Gabby fit he would be an excellent player to be on that bench and come on to turn games.
S Petrov   - An experienced solid pro who did an important job that a lot of people on here didn't seem to understand.
A Weimann -  Agree but he is a promising one.
F Delph - A youngster yes but could you really tell me he is not a better one than Hogg?

If we had a few of these guys back (for me Cuellar, NRC and Albrighton would be the key three) we would perhaps be the better for it as Albrighton has been our most impressive attacker this season, Cuellar could replace Dunne who has been hopeless and NRC could help in midfield. Even Heskey has been a big miss as he could add goals and a centre to our attack.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 01:32:06 AM »

Couldn't agree more.   Several times Gabby made great runs down the channel with nobody to give the ball to in the middle.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 03:20:58 AM »
M Albrighton - He's a different kind of option out wide and thus is a massive miss. He is a better crosser and more incisive than our other wingers.
C Cuellar    - He's a good solid stopper. If Dunne and Collins had been exhibiting their form from last season then we wouldn't miss them. With the two of them playing like clowns he is a big loss.
S Sidwell    - Who?
N Reo-Coker - I feel a lot of people overrate him if I'm honest but he'd be a good player to help Bannan as they would compliment each other in midfield.
E Heskey    - A focal point to the attack. We have missed him. Even with Gabby fit he would be an excellent player to be on that bench and come on to turn games.
S Petrov   - An experienced solid pro who did an important job that a lot of people on here didn't seem to understand.
A Weimann -  Agree but he is a promising one.
F Delph - A youngster yes but could you really tell me he is not a better one than Hogg?

If we had a few of these guys back (for me Cuellar, NRC and Albrighton would be the key three) we would perhaps be the better for it as Albrighton has been our most impressive attacker this season, Cuellar could replace Dunne who has been hopeless and NRC could help in midfield. Even Heskey has been a big miss as he could add goals and a centre to our attack.

Nail on the head, Sandie.

I'd also add that Albrighton has the ability to storm into the box (as opposed to jinking in like Young does). I know who'd I'd rather not have to face.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 06:40:21 AM »

Emile Heskeys goal scoring record in a Villa shirt aswell as his awful performance against the same defenders a month or so make this wishful thinking unfortunately.

Heskey is finished as is Carew. We should pay up their contracts in January if needs be and bring in a proper partner/ competition for Gabby.

While all the players missing would provide competition only Reo Coker would automatically have come back into the team. Downing and Young will always get the nod ahead of Albrighton. Blaming injuries anyway is pointless, we had more than enough experienced players on the pitch to Bham yet again the team failed and were again beaten by a very average team.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »
Not only does GH find it hard to field the same team 2 weeks running some of those he has to play are carrying injuies and some too much weight.
But this is part and parcel of any post Mon departure. We are lucky to have some useful cover players in the reserves.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 08:22:10 AM »
We should also bear in mind that Dunne is carrying a knee injury and and Collins has been struggling with a calf problem. I accept they are both out of sorts at the moment but I think they are being nursed from game to game and are not 100% fit.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 08:50:26 AM »
We should also bear in mind that Dunne is carrying a knee injury and and Collins has been struggling with a calf problem. I accept they are both out of sorts at the moment but I think they are being nursed from game to game and are not 100% fit.

That's a good point, nick, but I can't help thinking Dunne's knee would be under less duress if it wasn't forced to carry quite so much weight.

*wink*

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal