collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our Centre Halves  (Read 19528 times)

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
Re: Our Centre Halves
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 11:09:55 PM »
I think Collins is still a quality defender but he, like the rest of us, has lost complete faith in his partner. If you have to take one eye off your own game to babysit some fat-fuck, then you'll not be at the top of your game.
Alongside Cueller (who must now surely to God be a shoe-in for the next game), he'll be back to his best.

Dunne....fuck right off. Costing us a goal every game is one thing. Costing us a League Cup exit at the hands of Small Heath is unforgiveable. Lose 10kg's of fat, put on a few kg's of brains and concentrate a bit in training when the coaches are covering things like: tackling, heading, keeping goal-side of the attacker, running, communicating with your goalkeeper and passing. Every other part of your game is A-OK.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 11:12:24 PM »
It'd be nice, when everyone is fully fit, to see Cuellar and Clark have a go together.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
All 4 are not up to it, and Big Brad is gone IMO. All 5 need replacing. Cuellar and Clark may do it in the cente. Wheater for a million in Jan is worth a punt too and Davies should be brought back in.

Warnock should be sold while we could get 6-7 million. Luke Young is proving MON right about him.

NAughton is doing nothing at Spurs get him in. Get Gibbs on loand from Arse to show Warnock how to play. Do anything in Jan to make us look less clown like.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 11:18:25 PM »
without experienced centre mids in there like stan and nrc to protect them, the defence are being shown for what they really are: strong in the air and tackle but slow, clumsey, error prone and technically pathetic. they cant even control the ball or pass it 10 yards most of the time.

weve had 10 league games under houllier and the first five we had at least one of petrov or nrc in midfield- we let in 4 goals (one of which was a ridiculous dunne og). the five games since where weve had to play the youngster weve let in 11.
they dont seem to be leaders or able to organise the back line which is worrying considering they late 20's and early 30's.  they shouldn't need experience infront of them to be good, its them who should be setting the example to the youngsters.

i also think having carlos at RB last year papered over the cracks somewhat for
dunne and collins. they did play well, but a lot of time carlos would be there with a great last ditch tackle or cleaing it off the line when one of them had fucked up.

Nail on head. Both of them looked solid prior to Reo Coker's injury. I don't think either of them are fully fit and both of them but Dunne in particular obviously took the piss in pre season.

Habib Beye would offer better defensive stability than Luke Young especially in the  air. Cuellar deserves a chance now also but not with Clark.
At least we have options.

Regardless of injuries, the only victories Houllier has managed are Burnley, Wolves and Blackpool. Very worrying, confidence has disappeared and the team looks brittle. I'd bring Beye, Cuellar and Reo Coker back into the starting line up. This ain't the time for our younger players.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 11:21:50 PM »
But our younger players aren't the ones letting us down. It's Dunne, Carew, Collins, Warnock, Luke Young and Friedel.

They are actually our older players.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 11:23:15 PM »
But our younger players aren't the ones letting us down. It's Dunne, Carew, Collins, Warnock, Luke Young and Friedel.

They are actually our older players.

Absolutely. And that's the disappointing thing.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 11:25:52 PM »
Not nail on head at all.

Dunne's penchant for the fcuk up was in full effect long before Petrov and NRC became unavailable through injury.

Versus Newcastle, Stoke, Tottenham and Sunderland goals were scored as a direct result of a Dunne error and v Bolton at home he was pulled off at half time after a 'mare of a first half.

Though what looked bad that afternoon looks quite normal now.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »
Houllier has no choice but to play them. What is driving me nuts is with all these talented youngsters coming into the team its the experienced players such as our back 4 which are letting us down. All these late goals either at the end of first or second half is a massive lack of professionalism and concentration.
I've not been one for having a go at MON but 3 of his last few signings are playing bloody terrible, Dunne, Collins and Warnock need to sort their act out.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 11:31:45 PM »
He should have dropped that useless get Dunne long before tonight. I think I'd just about have Davies back over that him and that is no reflection on Davies.

Collins has regressed.

I definitely have Cuellar in for fatso and maybe Clark dropping back from midfield.

If Nige is fit again that should work.

We have two great playmakers on our coaching staff BUT no defender and that might be an area we need to shape up.
Time to ask Laurson if he want's a job.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 11:45:20 PM »
If we're going to start rebuilding the defence - and we should - am I the only one who would love us to resign Cahill?

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 11:47:01 PM »
If we're going to start rebuilding the defence - and we should - am I the only one who would love us to resign Cahill?
No,  it'll never be the same. It never is when a player returns to us.

Offline gerags

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 11:47:22 PM »
For whatever reason the defence have stopped communicating.
Harewood's goal for Blackpool is the perfect example - a line attempting to push out but not actually in sync.

Sod bringing Pires in, we need a quality defensive coach if there isn't one already one in GH's team..

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
No,  it'll never be the same. It never is when a player returns to us.

He'll be off to a better team than Villa in the summer, Spurs probably.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2010, 12:06:26 AM »
Not nail on head at all.

Dunne's penchant for the fcuk up was in full effect long before Petrov and NRC became unavailable through injury.

Versus Newcastle, Stoke, Tottenham and Sunderland goals were scored as a direct result of a Dunne error and v Bolton at home he was pulled off at half time after a 'mare of a first half.

Though what looked bad that afternoon looks quite normal now.

There was a run of games before Reo got injured in which we looked pretty solid I'd argue. Bham, Sunderland, Fulham was there another one? The problem then was going forward.

To be honest we have huge problems. We can't continue to play a midfield where only one player can tackle. We aren't scoring goals, lose the ball in dangerous positions, both full backs are struggling and a heap of players are finished. This could get worse before it gets better imo as the ability to dig out a result seems to have disappeared.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2010, 12:14:39 AM »
Warnock should be sold while we could get 6-7 million. Luke Young is proving MON right about him.

That would be daylight robbery on current form.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal