collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Academy lauded in The Times  (Read 15731 times)

Offline Merv

Re: Academy lauded in The Times
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
Ha! I like the boots rule too. It's actually not that easy to buy a pair of simple, black boots for kids now, which I think is terrible.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Great read, thanks for posting that.

The black boots policy should be extended to the first team.  Can't stand the sight of coloured boots, pink especially.

Actually, I think black boots should be made law but that isn't going to happen.

In years to come hopefully these present day dayglo boot wearers will look back in horror at the error of their ways much in the same way as Chris Waddle does with his former hair style and hopefully Barry Venison does with his off field dress sense.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »
Another vote for the boots rule.

Great article.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »
it would be interesting to know the secret of Villa's success in earlier times, when you had players like Sid and Little coming through. I wonder how massively things have changed

Offline sfx412

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 11:31:35 AM »
A good news story and well deserved.

Another benefit is that more kids will want to come to Villa which can only be good.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 11:35:26 AM »
Assuming Ben Petty is the former defender of that name who started out with us and played for Moor Green, he's also proof that even if you aren't good enough for the top level, our Academy helps prepare young players for a career in other areas of football.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:57:31 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Merv

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 11:54:40 AM »
I knew Stefan had plummeted down the leagues but I hadn't realised he was also a taxi driver. His chance has gone but I'd have thought he was still good enough to play at a reasonably high non-league level.

Offline peter w

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 12:06:48 PM »
It would be interesting to see what their blueprint was and who decided that we would develop our coaching at youth/children level. Did we go and look at Ajax? did we decide to take it upon ourselves to do what the FA have not been able to do and change the mindset of parents as to how to develop coaching for the good of the kids and hopefully, us. the thing that stood out for me more than anything was this bit...

They all appeared two-footed.

Its a bugbear of mine that any footballer of note - whether professional or amateur - can only use one foot. To get them using two feet at an early age will kep them in good stad. The fact that they are cutting down, but still doing, GCSE's is also merit worthy.

Well done Villa.

Offline jembob

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 12:16:31 PM »
Last Wednesday afternoon, in the massive air-conditioned barn at Bodymoor, Ben Petty, the academy coach with the 7-11 age bracket, led a session where touch, passing, decision-making and movement were paramount. They all appeared two-footed.

this is the bit that pleases me most...

for years i have been calling for younger players to be taught the basics of pass and move... this is the thing that the likes of arsenal install in their kids and first team, giving options through movement for the player on the ball...

i know that wenger likes the player on the ball to have 3 easy options to pass to, and that is why they keep possession so well, and play lovely football...

with this sort of teaching from 7-11, technical ability will come as standard, and then the fast, strong and intelligent players will then become the stand out players, and should become top top quality...

The future is really bright for the kids coming through the Academy. Agreed that the technique/pass/move approach is exactly right. Barcelona showed on Monday night that this type of football is superior and devastating when executed properly. If we could mix that sort of approach with a good bit of Premiership blood and thunder it would be excellent.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 12:41:01 PM »
A big well done to everyone connected with the Academy. In this day and age of inflated transfer fee's,its really something to be proud of.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 01:07:09 PM »
Assuming Ben Petty is the former defender of that name who started out with us and played for Moor Green, he's also proof that even if you aren't good enough for the top level, our Academy helps prepare young players for a career in other areas of football.
he is the very same one... he is a friend of a friend...

he is very excited about some of the young lads we have too, apparently...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:12:21 PM by pablopicasso_10 »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 01:07:23 PM »
I was proud that the Times praised our Academy and all the work they are doing it just go's to show that we are doing thing's the right way and long may it continue.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »
Sounds great. Looks like they are doing a great job and I hope we can reap the rewards in years to come.

One academy graduate in the first team is £10million in transfer fees saved and even the Ridgewells and Gardners who are not quite good enough can be decent PL players who bring in fees.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »
Excellent stuff, do get sick of hearing about Man United's knack of bringing players through from their Academy set up when in truth it is a LOT of years since the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Beckham came through.

Must admit I hate the idea of kids as young as 7 or 8 being cherry picked by football clubs, i'm slightly old fashioned in thinking that at such a young age you should be having fun playing with your mates and being a kid and not having the enthusiasm coached out of you..

Offline peter w

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »
Thing is Chris even at that age you can see a child with talent that if nurtured well can flourish. Its the same as a child who has an aptitude for music, spelling, writing etc etc so football shouldn't be any different.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal