collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FIFA dirty secrets  (Read 70788 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: FIFA dirty secrets
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 09:18:05 PM »
So everyone is happy to put up with corruption within the governing body of the game we follow in order to host the World Cup?

Both the Times and Panorama are carrying on the tradition of investigative journalism, exposing wrongdoing and calling those in power to account.

We should not turn a blind eye to any wrongdoing lest we abdicate the right to ever complain about this sort of thing again, the timing is immaterial because any bid should stand and fall on it's own merits.

It strikes me that the line between right and wrong is being increasingly blurred these days, just look at the attempted justification of torture as a tool with which to tackle terrorism.

I would dearly love to see the World Cup in England and I know it would be a tremendous success, but not at any price and certainly not via the surrender of the moral high ground when it comes to an organistation such as FIFA.

I'm with Nev on this, totally.

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
Ok... at first I felt the BBC were totally wrong to air the programme when they did.  Typical of our press / media however....

After watching the programme I have changed my mind.  I believe the Beeb felt the British Public needed to know just what we were being signed up to by the 'Bid Team' and our Prime Ministers past and present

The bungs I ain't to bothered about we all know the whole thing is as corrupt as fuck.  Its the guarantees the British Government have signed up to which basically prostitutes the English democracy system to a bunch of alleged corrupt tossers in Switzerland.

How desperate do we have to get to sign away our rights to entry into this country and our tax system just to make FIFA even richer than they are already.

Our own Prime Minister, while the country is in financial meltdown, is prepared to bend over and let this Country be royally rogered from behind for the sake of winning a bid that according to the Dutch will only result in a net loss to the economy.

To be perfectly honest, fuck the bid and fuck FIFA.  Whilst football has these idiots in charge then the game can and will go and screw itself.

And as for that clown Jack Warner, he has about as much credibility as little Jack Horner.  In my opinion a nasty odious little man.

Offline N'Rexy

• GM : Jan, 2012
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 09:25:44 PM »
I worked with a couple of chaps who worked at ISL, the agency that handled the World Cup rights. They had a lot of money from somewhere which launched our company.

A lot of sports rights deals are bent in my view and experience.

The timing is obvious isn't it? Makes the most impact.

I agree totally with the investigation and I think we should be making a much bigger fuss over our desire to host such an apparently corrupt event.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »
So everyone is happy to put up with corruption within the governing body of the game we follow in order to host the World Cup?

Both the Times and Panorama are carrying on the tradition of investigative journalism, exposing wrongdoing and calling those in power to account.

We should not turn a blind eye to any wrongdoing lest we abdicate the right to ever complain about this sort of thing again, the timing is immaterial because any bid should stand and fall on it's own merits.

It strikes me that the line between right and wrong is being increasingly blurred these days, just look at the attempted justification of torture as a tool with which to tackle terrorism.

I would dearly love to see the World Cup in England and I know it would be a tremendous success, but not at any price and certainly not via the surrender of the moral high ground when it comes to an organistation such as FIFA.

Sign me up for this minority group as well.

Personally I think an Iberia World Cup would probably be better anyway. But a Russian one quite obviously wouldn't.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »

Moi, aussi

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 10:00:07 PM »
I don't have a problem with Panorama or The Times bringing this to the wider public's attention, and far from bad timing, it's perfect timing with 2016 hosts about to be decided.

So many aspects of the sport are tawdry and allegedly corrupt, including elements of the World governing body, I actually won't lose any night's sleep if FIFA vote in favour of the Russian bid. 

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 10:15:22 PM »
All Panorama did tonight was to recyle a very old story. A tale that has been throuuh a european court. Nothing new came out with the last of so called dogy payments being made in 1999. Nothing new nothing to be associated with last few world cups. So what was the point? Do BBC have nothing new these days and just like their general entertainment they have to resort to repeats for factual programmes as. well. The whole thing was a disgrace and BBC should be ashamed of this broadcast.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 10:23:01 PM »
Thanks BBC for fucking up what little chance we had.

They should of aired this months ago or after the bid, not at the exact time it can be most destructive to our bid.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 12:00:53 AM »
Do BBC have nothing new these days and just like their general entertainment they have to resort to repeats for factual programmes as. well. The whole thing was a disgrace and BBC should be ashamed of this broadcast.

Presumably you'd be in favour of increasing the licence fee from the 40p per day you currently pay then?

I agree it wasn't as thorough as it could have been and sadly Panorama is a shadow of itself since they cut it to half an hour, but lets face it, there are precious few serious investigative programmes on any of the other channels.

I still believe it was worth doing though. Smug, untouchable, corrupt fat cats, milking the system for their own ends.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:26:28 AM by E I Adio »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
Good on the BBC for not bowing to pressure and to their reporters for doing the job they entered their profession for.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 01:55:06 AM »
If the FA had any credibility it would have told FIFA and UEFA to fuck off a long time ago.
We like to think tht the game is straight, it isnt, if its corrupt at the top then its rotten underneath

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »
Thanks BBC for fucking up what little chance we had.

They should of aired this months ago or after the bid, not at the exact time it can be most destructive to our bid.

Thing is Gibbo, why should we be quiet ?

It's a corrupt organisation from Blatter downwards, I really do think we ought to pull out of the World Cup if it goes to Russia.

Our bid will be the strongest as we have everything in place or almost ( as in VP !) - and it's been so many years since we held the tournament, it's ours for the taking.

If we lose because of the corruption, why even bother with it until Blatter is sacked and FIFA cleansed ?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 07:39:42 AM »

I was going to spend 15 minutes writing on this subject.

However, in the interests of saving time........................

Wot he said !!

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 08:04:57 AM »
I'm not sure why anyone thinks that where you have a situation where 24 delegates get to decide the venue for a future World Cup, with all the spin-offs, kudus, investment that it will bring to the host, that these delegates won't be willing to listen to offers for their votes. The whole situation makes these delegates extremely powerful, and as everyone knows, with power comes influence and money, and usually also greed.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 08:51:07 AM »

Sign me up for this minority group as well.

Personally I think an Iberia World Cup would probably be better anyway. But a Russian one quite obviously wouldn't.

I'm on this team too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal