collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FIFA dirty secrets  (Read 70847 times)

Offline Confusious says

FIFA dirty secrets
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
What does BBC Panorama think it's doing with their 'Dirty Secrets' programme on tonight at 8.30? Call this good timing? Just when they are about to announce the next venue of the world cup. Seriously it's like going for an interview at a job and slagging off the company to the person who is interviewing you for the position, and then wondering why you don't get the job.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: FIFA dirty secrets
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 07:01:31 PM »
They don't give a shit, the wankers. The written media are just as bad. Seriously, why bother proving to the world that FIFA is corrupt? What's next week's exclusive, 2 + 2 = 4?

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 07:03:35 PM »
The papers then to seize on it tomorrow, followed by mourning in the papers on friday when we lose out to Spain and Portugal...

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »
Does anyone really think we'll get it anyway?

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:11:30 PM »
There's more chance of England winning it than hosting it.  Which says it all.  No chance.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »
I don't think we will get it  but Panorama could have waited and showed it after the decision had been made.   

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:16:18 PM »
The Panorama tonight and the article in the Sunday Times is a first class suicide note for England 2018 bid. FFS everyone knows that "facilitisation fees" and "nominal gifts"  (Like diamonds for wives) are normal part of a FIFA delegates life.  Even England have offered staging football matches in return for votes. So why the heck does media think that somehow we will all be shocked with their revelations?
What's the point in rubbing their noses in it and the vengeful bastards taking it out on the fans by denying England 2018?
I am angry as I expect to be very disappointed on Thursday.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 07:23:03 PM »
Never understand that about the British media. Knock down their own at every opportunity then piss and moan when it leads to failure.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 08:07:08 PM »
So everyone is happy to put up with corruption within the governing body of the game we follow in order to host the World Cup?

Both the Times and Panorama are carrying on the tradition of investigative journalism, exposing wrongdoing and calling those in power to account.

We should not turn a blind eye to any wrongdoing lest we abdicate the right to ever complain about this sort of thing again, the timing is immaterial because any bid should stand and fall on it's own merits.

It strikes me that the line between right and wrong is being increasingly blurred these days, just look at the attempted justification of torture as a tool with which to tackle terrorism.

I would dearly love to see the World Cup in England and I know it would be a tremendous success, but not at any price and certainly not via the surrender of the moral high ground when it comes to an organistation such as FIFA.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:19:18 PM »
They don't give a shit, the wankers. The written media are just as bad. Seriously, why bother proving to the world that FIFA is corrupt? What's next week's exclusive, 2 + 2 = 4?

Spot on.

The timing of it is fucking abysmal. Why not do it a couple of weeks earlier - if they have to do it at all - to at least give England's bid team time to try to rebuild bridges?

Everyone knows the whole process is corrupt as fuck, but we knew this when we entered the bid - if there was such a moral need for the system to be changed, we shouldn't have engaged in the process in the first place.

All those people who have worked so hard for so long to get the World Cup in England, all that time and money spent, and it is all going to be wasted by a bit of grandstanding on a Monday night. Pathetic.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
Completely agree with that, paulie.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 08:59:25 PM »
I wouldn't mind the timing if there was a genuine story. But a couple of guys taking a 'gift' 15 years ago ?

After watching the appalling piece they did a few years ago on Redknapp & Alladyce etc, I have zero respect for any thing that is produced by Panorama.  Piss poor journalism dressed up as hard hitting and investigative.

The timing is purely designed to garner attention for a weak as piss programme

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »
Panorama is not what it used to be.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »
I don't agree. FIFA seems to go around like some medieval Royal Court demanding tax-breaks and changes to laws and a bribe is a bribe however long ago it was. Jack Warner's still there in a voting capacity, isn't he? If modern football is a cynical money-making exercise, it's FIFA that is at least culpable, if not responsible. Fuck the World Cup bid!

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 09:06:23 PM »
FIFA have been totally discredited.

What a bunch of greedy, self interested bastards.

We should pull out of the fucking competition if we lose the bid.

Fuck them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal