collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MArtin O'Neill - Did he take a new job in Middle East ?  (Read 9319 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: MArtin O'Neill - Did he take a new job in Middle East ?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 01:40:06 AM »
I dont think it effects his reputation at all - if any manager had the list of injuries we have had, and continue to, this season then it would have been hard to get consistant results.

If we do end up in a relegation battle do you think history will note that this was due to injury problems and O'Neill dropping us in the shit or will the books mainly note the change of manager and subsequent drop down the league?

Which of the above two scenarios will O'Neill mention in any future job interviews?!

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 08:05:51 AM »
Future job interviews?

"Well, I think I can get you to the finals of the Azerbaijan Cup. That'd be terrific. Really terrific."

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »
ONeill got his luckiest break when we appointed an old, tired,self satisfied, unmotivated replacement.   I loathe and despise O'Neill whom I consider to be an over rated, opinionated and unimaginative football dinosaur but history will record him as the Cinderella who was never allowed to go to the ball.

The disgraceful premeditated spite of his departure carefully planned to cause the club the maximum difficulty was boosted in its effect by the famine of good managers available and the Villa executives doing what second rate executives always do, choosing a safe pair of hands.   No thought is ever given to the need for good eyesight and quick footwork by the owner of the safe hands to get himself into a position to show how safe his hands are.   We needed a young, dynamic, hungry, energetic, inspiring manager.   We got a very expensive safe pair of hands.

The January window will see us at best signing Patrick Vieira at worst David Ginola.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 08:13:54 AM »
Also, I wonder whether KMac isn't thinking, "I could have done as well as this Houllier guy"

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 10:37:48 AM »
Also, I wonder whether KMac isn't thinking, "I could have done as well as this Houllier guy"

Im sure he is, but then again, with the injuries we've had, he probably couldn't.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »
ONeill got his luckiest break when we appointed an old, tired,self satisfied, unmotivated replacement.   I loathe and despise O'Neill whom I consider to be an over rated, opinionated and unimaginative football dinosaur but history will record him as the Cinderella who was never allowed to go to the ball.

The disgraceful premeditated spite of his departure carefully planned to cause the club the maximum difficulty was boosted in its effect by the famine of good managers available and the Villa executives doing what second rate executives always do, choosing a safe pair of hands.   No thought is ever given to the need for good eyesight and quick footwork by the owner of the safe hands to get himself into a position to show how safe his hands are.   We needed a young, dynamic, hungry, energetic, inspiring manager.   We got a very expensive safe pair of hands.

The January window will see us at best signing Patrick Vieira at worst David Ginola.

I agree about MON, the weird thing is the media and other fans think hes terrific.. 

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 11:59:31 AM »
Brian...could that younger manager you speak of be Gary McAllister? Not a perfect fit as you described, but perhaps as close as was possible given the circumstances and timing.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 12:13:53 PM »
The appointment of Gary Mac and the promotion of Sid Cowans were the major positives for me out of that whole episode.

I sincerely hope GH can pull it off but I still don't fully know what to make of him. He seems to enjoy press conferences and the platform it gives him, perhaps a little too much.  He still seems obsessed with LFC. Maybe that will pass.

I wish him no ill will, quite the opposite. When I see him on the touchline looking cold and confused I wish someone would give him a big hug.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 12:15:22 PM »
Brian...could that younger manager you speak of be Gary McAllister? Not a perfect fit as you described, but perhaps as close as was possible given the circumstances and timing.

I'd prefer a younger Manager who'd actually achieved something like Holloway, whos team of reserves played us off the pitch a fortnight ago or Owen Coyle who's team played us off the pitch a couple of months back.  The young guns are out there we just need to give someone the chance.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 12:34:30 PM »

I'd prefer a younger Manager who'd actually achieved something like Holloway, whos team of reserves played us off the pitch a fortnight ago or Owen Coyle who's team played us off the pitch a couple of months back.  The young guns are out there we just need to give someone the chance.
Neither Coyle or Holloway have proved themselves as yet, it's still far too early to make judgements on them in the top flight.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 12:44:31 PM »
Neither Coyle or Holloway have proved themselves as yet, it's still far too early to make judgements on them in the top flight.
Agreed. I just shuddered at the thought of Holloway at the villa.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 01:33:03 PM »
I think MON will be just a little smug about our current position.
The injuries have had a devastating effect on this season, obviously. And if MON had bought better - and offloaded better- we might have more effective squad players to bring in (I'm referring to Osbourne and Salifou particularly).

Offline sfx412

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 10:04:48 PM »
Mon was great so I was continually reminded and he did achieve 6th consistently and never spent a penny they said.

Well they were wrong, and any owner of any club will know that. So if he does get another chance you can be assured the guy who gives it will be desperate or a fool, or both

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 10:25:29 PM »
Mon was great so I was continually reminded and he did achieve 6th consistently and never spent a penny they said.

Well they were wrong, and any owner of any club will know that. So if he does get another chance you can be assured the guy who gives it will be desperate or a fool, or both

Wheres they were falling over themselves to give your mate O'Leary a job.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal