collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Formation.  (Read 1720 times)

Offline supertom

Formation.
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
This second striker 4-4-1-1 thing is crap. It just doesn't work. It may do with the benefit of decent signings, but right now, it's absolute bobbins.

I think we need to play a bit uglier. I hate saying it, but 4-4-2. Play Gabby and Carew up top. Carew's all right when he's got someone doing the running for him. Let him stay up top and wait for the service. We need Downing on the left and then Ash on the right.

CM- I'd be tempted to bring in Osbourne to play with Clark. Get some physical presence in there. I like Bannan, a lot, but I just don't see where he can play? Wide? Not quick enough. In CM he's just too small. It's a scary prospect seeing Ossie back in EPL football but the lad is an athlete, over 6 foot and can put his foot in. Our midfield gets sliced open too easily.

At the back, Warnock is a disgrace and Dunne has been poor (though getting a little better recently). Collins has been iffy too. The sooner Carlos comes back, the better. Can we not call back Davies? Friedel's had a poor week, but no problems with him to be fair, because if not for him this season, we'd be much closer to West Ham.

We're so shit at the back right now, that the only way we're gonna get points is to outscore the opposition. Lets go direct, get physical, and play direct. Win ugly. Pelt crosses into the box. What I'm saying is...god...play the O Neill way. Twat yes, dull football yes, but three 6th place finishes in a row, and not far shy of 4th on two occasions. He got results and his game plan worked.

I'm afraid, both K Mac, and Houllier have tried to change things too quickly. It has to be a bit more gradual a process.

4-4-2, or a more conventional 4-3-3, when we at least get 1 or 2 of our senior CM players back.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Formation.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »
I don't like the 4-4-1-1 formation at all. Maybe it's this thing where whatever formation the team plays is the wrong one but I think it's nearly as bad as last seasons 4-4-2 (which was even in terms of a 4-4-2 pretty crap and would be even worse for the lack of Milner).

Now hopefully NRC will be back soon so in the short term I would play him in CM with Bannan and maybe one other. Up front I would have Ash and Downing either side of Gabby.

And Osbourne: Have you been on that mega session that you promised yourself in the conundrum thread? ;)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 08:30:35 PM »
People, Ashley Young isn't good enough in the free role!

I keep on saying it but a) he dosen't release the ball quick enough, instead opting to time and again try to beat 2-3 defenders and b) he dosen't get enough throughballs forward, that move in the second half when all he had to do was simply play in Downing to the left and instead woefully hit it to the Arsenal CB.

I'd much rather see Ireland in there, I believe he's had a poor press. He was actually decent when he came on, passing to another member of a team regularly although frustratingly we couldn't get him in the game enough at 2-3.

Let's get Ireland in behind Gabby, move Young back to the left, have Downing on the right, get NRC fit and holding alongside Clark and let's pray they can stay fit for longer than one game.

Offline supertom

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »
When is Nige due back. We really miss him. We're also really missing a decent skipper too. There's just no bite in midfield.

I would hope Ireland can come good. He's the best one to pull off that free role, but again, the trouble is, in certain games, it's a position where that gap player can go missing. Today was just that sort of game.

I also think right now, Ireland couldn't buy a goal. We need goals, so I'd play 2 front men.

Offline stevenjos

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 11:41:58 PM »
the 4411 is absolute shite. its up there with the short corner. managers believe in it, but it NEVER WORKS

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal