collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Should we be worried about relegation  (Read 41058 times)

Offline jay71

Re: Should we be worried about relegation
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2010, 09:12:42 PM »
We could get dragged into it if we dont get the back 4 sorted out! they dont communicate with each other any more and the marking is shocking,every set piece against us looks like a goal

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »
Take a look at the results from Newcastle's relegation season. I reckon they're not unlike ours this season so far.

Villa last season

4    Aston Villa    16    8    5    3    26    14    +12    29

Man City this season

4    Man City    16    8    5    3    21    12    +9    29

Villa this season

16    Aston Villa    16    4    5    7    17    27    -10    17

Newcastle 2008/9

17    Newcastle United    16    3    7    6    19    24    -5    16

I'm not so much worried as depressed.

It gives me no pleasure whatsoever to have been so accurate.

What's pretty worrying is that Newcastle went on to win their next two league games that season so actually had 22 points from 18 games and still got relegated. Hmmmm.

I think it just shows how quickly things can change in football.

If Spurs can go in two years from "bottom with 2 points from 8 games" to conquering all before them in the champions league, then we can certainly decline.

A year ago this upcoming weekend we were winning at Old Trafford for the first time since the 80s. Currently I wouldn't be confident of beating FC United.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2010, 10:57:52 AM »
What is worrying is how can they get out of the poor run in the medium to long term.
Will the return of the injured players to a disjointed dispirited team help enough, when our main cause of failure is conceding silly goals and not finishing chances created.
There are enough teams poorer than us for us to avoid the drop as long as we can put together a few games where we don't lose but the longer the losses go on the poorer moral will get and the harder it will be for Ged to turn it around.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #198 on: December 08, 2010, 12:48:17 PM »
If it was Gabby, Downing and Ash to return I would be happier, as it's NRC, Petrov and Heskey, yes they are good players, but they have bore the brunt of the Villa fans at various stages and are not exactly world beaters.  They are neither matchwinners/goalscorers nor towering centre halves, so may not help our problems at either end much at all.  Frankly I have found it refreshing seeing Bannan in the team ahead of 1 of Petrov and NRC.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal