collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What gets more 'bums on seats'?  (Read 12705 times)

Offline pedro25

Re: What gets more 'bums on seats'?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »
Winning.  I find pass pass pass quite boring actually, I'd rather see us get down the other end quickly I find that more exciting and more likely to get me off my feet.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 01:01:17 PM »
Four things, in no particular order, and not all necessarily things we don't have

1. Players people will get excited about coming to watch
2. Entertaining football
3. Good results
4. Winning things.
5. Affordable tickets.

Errm, soz, five things.

6. Good refs (protected by.....)
7. A strong FA (that doesn't let big teams get away with everything)
8. Players NOT earning stupid amounts of money.
9. And acting like twats

But mostly

10 The idea that every team has a chance to win all the trophies.

Football died for me when, at the start of a season, I stopped saying, "if these new signings gel we might just win this" and started saying "if these new signings gel we might finish 5th".

I've been going since but football as a sport is dead.  It is now entertainment.  And sadly, when it isn't even that, it's not worth going.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:10:32 PM by Mac »

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 01:04:31 PM »
So to sum up, you need a bit of both. A chance of winning silverware AND winning with some style. There's no reason why Villa cant get big big crowds, in the 50k range, regularly if both of those criteria are met. But its a big ask and a big financial risk.

Why?  We never have before, consistently.  We'd need an unparalleled (last 100 years) 5 year period of success to approach that.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 01:08:05 PM »

Yeah, agree with that point Mac.......a lot of people of my generation, mid 40s, are fed up with the same old, same old at the top, we must finish in the top 4 obsession that we have now.

I would love to see some kind of reorganization of the Prem, that makes it similar to the NFL, whereby you get a constant changeing of top teams.That would bring the enjoyment/excitement back to the Prem.

Offline Dan England

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »
A bit of both. But not feeling like your paying your money and not getting anything back in return. If your entertained and/or winning it's a lot easier to reason that you are getting some value for money. In times when going to the football is a luxury people have to be able to justify the expense to themselves. Some of the football at VP over the last two years has been dire and the results haven't been great either. £400 per year plus beer, travel etc is half a summer holiday. £40 last's a lot longer than 90 minutes in the pub.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
Four things, in no particular order, and not all necessarily things we don't have

2. Entertaining football
3. Good results
4. Winning things.
5. Affordable tickets.

Errm, soz, five things.

Aren't 1 & 5 mutually exclusive?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 01:45:04 PM »

2. Entertaining football
3. Good results
4. Winning things.
5. Affordable tickets.

Errm, soz, five things.

Aren't 1 & 5 mutually exclusive?

They might be, but we don't need to have all five.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 01:50:33 PM »
Kids for £1.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »
Cheap tickets bring people in short-term. To keep them you need to win.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »
Cheap tickets bring people in short-term. To keep them you need to win.

...and keep winning. You need momentum, so that it continually builds and you get, for want of a better word, a buzz around the club where people think that they might miss something by not going. So that tickets start becoming harder to get hold of for big games and people need a history of attending other games to get one.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »
With a combination of exciting 'big-name' players and a supportive national media, it's possible to get bigger crowds. We might get the players, although it's hard to attract them without the supportive national media telling people we're fashionable. We haven't got the support of the national media and won't have, even grudging support, until we're winning games.

So, we need to win - games and trophies. It doesn't matter how we win them, just win them.

You can play the best football in the world, but without results nobody outside of Villa Park will sit up and take notice. Even a national media in love with the Sky-four, Man City and Spurs won't be able to ignore trophies.

Win, and they will come. 

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 02:20:50 PM »
1. Affordable tickets
2. Entertaining football
3. Good results
4. Winning things

Put it this way - I've never envied United or Chelsea, I'd get bored with winning all those trophies year after year, and thinking "not that shit again" every time the Charity Shield comes around.

But I'd never get bored or watching Arsenal play.

I just hope we get the better of them in what promises to be an entertaining game on Saturday.

Affordable tickets has to come first though, "beautiful football" on the radio is not quite the same.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 02:51:59 PM »
I find pass pass pass quite boring actually, I'd rather see us get down the other end quickly I find that more exciting and more likely to get me off my feet.

The problem is if you build your teams to do that you risk falling into games of deadly boredom when the opposing teams come to "park the bus" and you don't have the guile to break them down, and you also risk getting a good spanking when your players run out of steam with 20 - 30 minutes left (see Chelsea, 7-1).

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 03:05:01 PM »
I find pass pass pass quite boring actually, I'd rather see us get down the other end quickly I find that more exciting and more likely to get me off my feet.

The problem is if you build your teams to do that you risk falling into games of deadly boredom when the opposing teams come to "park the bus" and you don't have the guile to break them down, and you also risk getting a good spanking when your players run out of steam with 20 - 30 minutes left (see Chelsea, 7-1).

Yet Arsenal, who can only play that way, don't achieve what they should as they don't have that near mythical 'plan B' for when their passing game isn't working.  I think to be truely successful you need more than one string to your bow and most importantly know when to use which one.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »
So to sum up, you need a bit of both. A chance of winning silverware AND winning with some style. There's no reason why Villa cant get big big crowds, in the 50k range, regularly if both of those criteria are met. But its a big ask and a big financial risk.

Why?  We never have before, consistently.  We'd need an unparalleled (last 100 years) 5 year period of success to approach that.

Sorry Mac, not sure what you're asking here...?
If you're saying we'd need a run of unprecedented success to get 50k crowds, I agree. But if one is possible then so is the other, in my opinion.

And as Dave says, lowering the price is a good idea and to be fair, the current board offer plenty of incentives which is great but they can only do so much in the climate and considering our competitors and what they charge.
A lot of these problems do stem from Football being in a bit of a state but our crowds werent that great when it was cheap to go either.

Another good point was that there is too much football on the TV. It does border on taking the piss but whilst there's an audience and money behind it, it wont change.
Nothing will change until SKY and the billionaires sod off, which sounds hypocritical as we have one ourselves. In fairness, I'd want Randy to be our owner even without all his money.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal