collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa's biggest weakness  (Read 12933 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Villa's biggest weakness
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2010, 11:48:49 PM »
With regards to the Barcodes, I think they are a bit of an anomaly.

I think Newcastle had/have the advantage of the team being seen by their fans as representing their 'parochial pride'. Whether through being the only team in the city, (despite Sunderland being just down the road), or being more 'passionate' folk than those further south (clichéd I know, but the reaction to Keegan's departures/Shearer's signing etc. shows the, er, slightly unhinged football-mad inhabitants they have up there).

The coinciding with Sky's early years of loading the game with cash and Newcastle actually becoming quite good meant that when the foreign flair of  Ginola, Tino Asprilla etc. ''rocked up'' - to use a h&vism, on Tyneside it just increased the fervour of a large population of top-level football starved Geordies.

Their 80's-early 90's attendances may have been a quarter or less of those who came from the Prem era onwards but watching the likes of Mickey Quinn trudge about wasn't ever going to attract the fair-weather type, which in essence is what we are talking about if we want bigger gates. 

The nearly-era under Keegan gave Newcastle an astonishing amount of credit in terms of fanbase support. The mid-90s was their adrenaline-rush, which all who were present have spent the last decade trying to replicate. Mike Ashley and the other bumbling idiots in charge had the fortune to inherit a captive market that, as I said, are a bit different to most clubs.  Luckily they've largely made a pig's ear out of truly utilising the advantage of being in that position.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2010, 11:50:43 PM »
Back on topic, and maybe I'm just being bitter but our record of scoring crucial last minute/late goals compared to conceding them must surely be one of the worst. Not just in recent weeks, but traditionally...or certainly the last couple of decades.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
We never strengthen from a position of strength. When we do do well, we invariably do worse the following season.

This is quite true.

We could blame the chairman when Ellis was in charge, but it probably goes deeper than that.  When strong only the best players will improve you and we do not have a track record of signing them.  We'll get them when they're young and lose them, or sign them when they're past their peak.  This may be a profile issue, as mentioned before, and we can't attract them, but it is a common theme at the club.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:53:26 AM by John M »

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »
The fact that we are in Birmingham is a HUGE problem.
Our city is not recognised by a the media and it is blatantly obvious that players/managers would think twice about moving to Brum.  I live in Spain and travel a lot and most people have absolutely no idea where Birmingham is and almost nobody knows that Aston Villa is a Birmingham club.  Mention Liverpool or Manchester however and they are much more familiar. Whenever there is someone with a Brummy accent on telly (which happens very rarely) it is immediately taken the piss out of.  I really hate to say it but the city has little attraction to top players and we have suffered from that in the past.  Would Van der Vaart have come to us if we were in the CL? Maybe, but I doubt it. Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and even West Ham have in the past got players that may have come to us had we not been in Brum.  It's obvious that these self proclaimed superstars will go to places that are in vogue or in the spotlight. It may sound a bit controversial but it is true, Birmingham is a city which gets hugely overlooked.  The constant brushing aside of our city by almost every media organisation has a big affect on these things. You can fly from Palma in winter to every big city in the UK, but not Birmingham which creates huge problems for me when I fly back to VP each month.  Players are not attracted by the prospect of moving to the Midlands and short of moving the club up the M6 or down the M1 we will always have this problem, the same can be said for our local rivals too.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:58:18 PM by Holtenderinthesky »

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 10:26:37 PM »
Villa's biggest weakness over the last 25+ years has been failing to capitalise on opportunites when we've looked like we could genuinely achieve something.

As for the Man U game a couple of weeks ago we threw it away because we sat back and allowed them to pass the ball about.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal