collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeB
[Today at 11:28:16 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:27:43 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 11:24:55 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 11:21:58 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa's biggest weakness  (Read 12931 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Villa's biggest weakness
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 10:36:46 AM »
We lack a winning mentality. How many of our players have actually won trophies? Apart from Pires.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »
Movement off the ball is a problem, but it's a symptom of the present team and not a 'club issue', which is what I think the thread is about.

I agree with NeilH - we have a profile issue.  The game has evolved over the history of the PL and during that time the media have been obsessed with London and Man Utd, because of their success, and Liverpool, because of their history.  We appear as one of the poor relations and this hinders our recruitment of both managers and players.   

You've mentioned two teams there which the media have been obsessed with, and those teams are two of the most successful. Coincidence?

If the media is obsessed with teams from London and the north west, that's because they actually win everything.

If another team from a different area threatens to win things or achieve things, the media will switch on to them, too.

Look at the way they kept telling us Newcastle were our second team when they were qualifying for the CL regularly and finishing second.

That's true, but Newcastle bought their way into that by out spending everyone at the time, which we can't do.

The basic problem as i see it is a player is coming to England and has an offer from Villa and Spurs (for arguments sake, lets say this is before their CL qualification).  With matching wages and similar league positions, he'll choose Spurs 9 times out of 10 due to the London thing being rammed down his throat by every media outlet.   

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »
Movement off the ball.

That's what I'd have said.

I'd agree, hopefully Houllier, Mcalister & Cowans are trying to fix that, Also self belief and we lack quality. Man ure for instance we needed to shut up shop but there was no-one on the bench to bring on.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 10:50:51 AM »
In the 40 odd years I've been a supporter, I can probably count on one hand the number of seasons that we've scored freely. We've probably only had two or three consistent and effective goalscorers in that time (Withe and Yorke).

And what are we bemoaning at the moment?- a consistent 20 goal a season striker.

Offline peter w

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 10:53:33 AM »
Not much wrong at the moment that having our injured players back wouldn't put right. As for the goalscorer, we've needed him for a couple of seasons. Also need a better central-defender and a younger keeper.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »
We lack a winning mentality. How many of our players have actually won trophies? Apart from Pires.

Carew, Heskey, Friedel, Downing, Luke Young, Petrov, Cuellar, Beye.....

Take your point though.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
We need to settle on a formation which suits our better players, at the moment we are playing 4-4-1-1 almost by default, because of the injuries, but also because our 3 most influential players are all wingers, who have to be accomodated in the team, hence Ashley playing off the front man.

For a while now Gabby seems to want to get into a battle with the centre halves rather than use his speed to get behind defences, I know he has bulked up to become stronger but he shouldn't feel the need to prove it every game.

Offline Yeltzer

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 11:16:35 AM »
Need a 20 goal a season man. One who does it season in, season out, not just once in a blue moon

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:39 AM »
Crap defense, that's our weakest link.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »
We need to concentrate more when we are in winning positions and we need to change the tactics when needed that way we can close the game down.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »

It is now for sure.

Warnock is just not the player he was before his injury.  Luke Young the right back playing at right back isn't that great a right back, certainly not that much better than Cuellar playing there.  Dunne although solid is all of a sudden error prone.  Only Collins appears to be showing consistent form.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 11:57:36 AM »

It is now for sure.

Warnock is just not the player he was before his injury.  Luke Young the right back playing at right back isn't that great a right back, certainly not that much better than Cuellar playing there.  Dunne although solid is all of a sudden error prone.  Only Collins appears to be showing consistent form.

Dunne has been shocking all season, and Collins is clumsy and injury prone. I'd replace the both of them. Luke Young is decent but Warnock has lost the plot.
A whole new defence please Gerard!

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 11:58:38 AM »
Luke Young the right back playing at right back isn't that great a right back, certainly not that much better than Cuellar playing there.

You might want to only whisper that bit - it'll get the natives restless!

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 01:10:37 PM »
Luke Young the right back playing at right back isn't that great a right back, certainly not that much better than Cuellar playing there.

You might want to only whisper that bit - it'll get the natives restless!

He isn't though is he? 

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »
To my mind no, but then I didn't see the huge problem with Cuellar at RB that others did last season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal