collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:55:11 PM]

Diego Carlos by olaftab
[Today at 03:49:33 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by ChicagoLion
[Today at 03:37:40 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:08:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa's biggest weakness  (Read 12932 times)

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
  • GM : PCM
Villa's biggest weakness
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:23:05 AM »
What do think is Villa's, as a club and a team rather than related to any individual players, biggest weakness. For me this is something that's always been there to a greater or lesser degree, and was certainly prevalent in the late 70s when I first started taking an interest, and that's an inability to close a game down, especially from a 2-0 lead. The most recent example of course being v Man U weekend before last. 2-0 up with a quarter of an hour to go at home, we don't seem to change our tactics at all. When you're 2-0 up at home to a club like Man U in the dying stages of the game you concentrate on defending what you have. It just didn't seem like we had the nous to do that, and it seemed so typical and predictable...

Online Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
Re: Villa's biggest weakness
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:26:44 AM »
As mad as it sounds I think it is a Brummie/Midlands thing. Be honest, once Man Utd pulled a goal back did any Villa fans not expect Utd to equalise? I think that the team felt the same. We don't seem to have that killer instinct when it comes to the crunch. Just like Brummies never boast about our City and are quite used to being slagged off hence Manchester's rise to the self-proclaimed second city of the UK. We lack belief and arrogance.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 08:31:49 AM »
Lack of self-belief.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »
Holding the lead doesn't just apply to individual games, it also applies to holding a lead in the league - 1988, 1990, 1993.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »
As a Brummie living outside the country I can tell you that the image of the city really does not help. Speak of Manchester and people see Man Utd, music and ''cool''. Speak of Birmingham and its just ''oh isn't that an industrial city, like The Ruhr'' If you're a foreign footballer looking for an overseas move, image counts and like it or not our image is not good and it impacts us.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:49:03 AM »
Movement off the ball.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 08:52:11 AM »
We are not a 90 minute team, good first half or good second half or something in between flashes of great football then silly mistakes, they need to up their concentration levels.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »
Movement off the ball.

That's what I'd have said.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »
As a Brummie living outside the country I can tell you that the image of the city really does not help. Speak of Manchester and people see Man Utd, music and ''cool''. Speak of Birmingham and its just ''oh isn't that an industrial city, like The Ruhr'' If you're a foreign footballer looking for an overseas move, image counts and like it or not our image is not good and it impacts us.

It never affected Liverpool or Newcastle when they were attracting big name players, though. We're also an hour and a small bit from London, too, which has to count for something.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 09:39:08 AM »
Movement off the ball is a problem, but it's a symptom of the present team and not a 'club issue', which is what I think the thread is about.

I agree with NeilH - we have a profile issue.  The game has evolved over the history of the PL and during that time the media have been obsessed with London and Man Utd, because of their success, and Liverpool, because of their history.  We appear as one of the poor relations and this hinders our recruitment of both managers and players.   

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
We're also an hour and a small bit from London, too, which has to count for something.

It would if Johnny Foreigner knew where Birmingham actually was.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 09:42:51 AM »
Conceding goals at the end of the first half has cost us a result Sunday and v Spurs.

We lack that belief or concentration.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 09:51:26 AM »

It never affected Liverpool or Newcastle when they were attracting big name players, though. We're also an hour and a small bit from London, too, which has to count for something.

I can only call it as I see it and Brum has a rotten image problem which affects us greatly. Liverpool still has the Beatles legacy and a world famous team. Newcastle were dangling the carrot of unprecedented wages which would have attracted virtually anyone at the time.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
Movement off the ball is a problem, but it's a symptom of the present team and not a 'club issue', which is what I think the thread is about.

I agree with NeilH - we have a profile issue.  The game has evolved over the history of the PL and during that time the media have been obsessed with London and Man Utd, because of their success, and Liverpool, because of their history.  We appear as one of the poor relations and this hinders our recruitment of both managers and players.   

You've mentioned two teams there which the media have been obsessed with, and those teams are two of the most successful. Coincidence?

If the media is obsessed with teams from London and the north west, that's because they actually win everything.

If another team from a different area threatens to win things or achieve things, the media will switch on to them, too.

Look at the way they kept telling us Newcastle were our second team when they were qualifying for the CL regularly and finishing second.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »
We're also an hour and a small bit from London, too, which has to count for something.

It would if Johnny Foreigner knew where Birmingham actually was.

Alabama ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal