collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A Ship Without A Rudder  (Read 28892 times)

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
Re: A Ship Without A Rudder
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 10:50:26 PM »
I have major doubts about Houllier - I have from day one.

But we're effectively still in fire fighting mode at present and the guy deserves some time to implement his own ideas and strategies. Some look promising, others less so.

Thing is, even if he struggles to the point that we need to make a change at the end of the season or in 12-18 months that is a direct consequence of the timing of MON's departure in the first place. It was the worst, most inopportune time to leave, resulting in a limited selection pool as most other managers (unlike MON) wouldn't bail on their club at that time of year to join us. The ones who were good enough for the role anyroad.
Agree lets face it GH would not have been anyehere near the list of the fans top candidates, its a gamble like any appointment, i think its a better gamble than giving MON another wad of cash and expecting him to sort the defeciences that he had created, the timing was awful, i remember listening to Sir Clive Woodward talking about Roy Keane walking out on Ireland at the WC Japan, he said that Mcarthy should have known his tempremant and his ability to handle it or not take him, i think Randy should have seen the signs with MON earlier, its easier said than done I know

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »
He did absoloutely nothing to prepare the squad for the coming season, we have the worst injury crisis in living memory

Virtually all of the injuries have occurred since GH came in with a more rigorous training regime. I'm not blaming GH as this is the juggling act that occurs with all clubs.

You kind of are though, why mention it otherwise?   

How about Petrov, NRC and the others that were injured in games or in practice games?

We have loads of injuries because no one at the club has been properly fit for years, that's why we have faded badly the last two seasons.

We were all blinded thinking Martin was great, but he has actually messed this club up trying to get short term success for himself.

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 11:03:25 PM »
With Mon in charge, it was much like the Royal Navy: living on great past glory's but in drastic need of a major overall. Enter the French to come in, patch us up, and help push us forward to sunnier seas!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 01:25:53 AM »
Toto i think you supported him until the end, but its good you have now seen the error of your ways

I played Wizard of Oz with your mum last night. She was Dorothy, I was Toto and we had a jar of peanut butter. It got really messy. Good times.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:44:58 AM by toronto villa »

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 02:45:38 AM »
With Mon in charge, it was much like the Royal Navy: living on great past glory's but in drastic need of a major overall. Enter the French to come in, patch us up, and help push us forward to sunnier seas!

You hope. Because at the moment we are 3 points above the relegation zone. Oh, yeah lets wait until January..lol.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 03:00:36 AM »

You hope. Because at the moment we are 3 points above the relegation zone. Oh, yeah lets wait until January..lol.

Is this the same league where we are 5 points of 5th also?

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 03:07:25 AM »
No, must be a different league.

We haven't won in ages and we almost certainly won't be picking up points against Arsenal. We are in a rut with injuries as well and players under performing. Nobody knows when the next win is going to come. Sure we may be 5 points off of 5th, but as I said nobody knows when we will start to collect points, so in the mean time they're going to be looking down at the other end of the table.  ::)

-5 goal difference after 14 games into the season. Strikers who couldn't finish off their supper before bed. It is an absolute fucking shambles and has been since the summer.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 03:09:18 AM by Reality »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 04:08:06 AM »
Reality - what is the point you're trying to make?  I'm confused.

We're probably all aware that we're going through a tough time but you come across as almost suicidal in a fair number of your posts.  Have you not seen anything this season that has bought you some joy?  The emergence of Albrighton, Bannan or Clark?  Downing and Heskey looking half decent players at last?  The better style of football?  The less tangible hope that something different is around the corner?

I personally think we were more stuck in a rut with MON in charge as he had revealed his hand and it was proven to not be good enough.  Right now, we just don't know which means there is at least hope for the future.  Isn't there?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 08:30:35 AM »
I accept the timing of MON leaving was bad but I don't think he left a bad squad behind. One point I wanted to make was the lack of communication from Randy Lerner and/or Paul Faulkner. I don't want a David Sullivan situation spouting off about individual players and setting points targets but from the moment MON left up to the present we have heard next to nothing about future ambitions.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
The Aston Villa Football Club are far bigger, better and more important than Martin O'Neill.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 09:26:43 AM »
Hear hear Legion well said.

Offline villan1975

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »
I dont know the reasons why mon left and i dont really care as he will never be forgiven and as been said many times before any good work he did is now defunked in my book.More worrying for me is our inability to sell seats at villa park even for the big games and even at reduced prices and on general sale ,even with what i percieve as much much better brand of football.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 09:47:42 AM »
I liked him, enjoyed his time in charge, enjoyed some fantastic games - Emirates, Goodison, Spurs 125 birthday party, Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford....

Enjoyed Villa's resurgence under him.

I hope Houllier does as well/better than O'Neill but I can't deny that I was hapy with O'Neill in charge.

The way he left us dosent affect the way I felt about him while he was with us. Just the same as with Saunders.

I'm not sure why somone can't admit that they liked O'Neill without being accused of liking the man more than the club.....

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:58:56 AM by Chico Hamilton III »

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 09:51:39 AM »
D'OhNeill had us sailing down the wrong river to get to the ocean. He got as far as he could down that river, I grant you. And the view, on occassion, was pretty nice.

But, in order to get to the ocean, he needed to turn the boat around. He refused to do it and chose instead to walk the plank, floating aimlessly until some Arabs came along and have him lots of money to captain their little boat up some shitty estuary no-one really knows (or cares)  anything about. 

So, now we're reversing course in order to find the right river that takes us to the ocean.

On the way, we've already caught some fish. They've not matured to full flavour yet and one isn't even legal size but it looks so so good. No doubt the new captain, armed with a much longer reel and far more knowledge of the waters, will land us some excellent fish. And, eventually, I'm sure, we'll get to the ocean where we'll be joined by bikini models with legs that don't quit and magnificent breasts, pouting lips and this really unique way of...oh, hang on - wrong website. Sorry.

haha... couldnt have put it better myself...

Offline Merv

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 09:53:58 AM »
Oddly enough, I'd say our long-term plan and strategy now is better defined than at any time under Martin; we have a good coaching team in place so that, when Houllier does step down, hopefully the whole thing won't collapse like a house of cards. We have a manager who has recognised the coaching talent within the club, and promoted accordingly (not just giving jobs to his mates); young players - hell, not even that young, some of them are 21-22 - being given a chance to show they can genuinely contribute to the squad - and a manager who has a far more open view of the transfer market.

Results need to improve, of course. But yes, we are five points off 5th. Next win coming from? Well, it's not that drastic... we've taken four points from our last two home games and that really should have been six. And if anyone cannot see the restrictions Houllier is working with at the moment... you have my pity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal