collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scottish referees to strike?  (Read 8237 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Scottish referees to strike?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9225458.stm

Catholic Church calls for Dallas email transparency
Scottish Football Association head of refereeing development Hugh Dallas
BBC Scotland has seen the email sent from the account of Hugh Dallas

The Catholic Church want the Scottish Football Association to sack head of refereeing Hugh Dallas if he sent an "offensive" email about the Pope.

SFA chief Stuart Regan has investigated an email seen by BBC Scotland that was forwarded from Dallas's account on the day of the Pope's visit to Scotland.

The email contains an image of a children's school crossing sign and makes reference to the Pope's visit.

The Church asks that the outcome of the SFA investigation be made public.

Catholic Church spokesman Peter Kearney urges Regan to act urgently to maintain the SFA's integrity by requesting confirmation that should the allegation be proved against Dallas he will be removed from his post.

Kearney insists the email was "totally unprofessional, gratuitously insulting to the Pope, deeply offensive to the Catholic community of Scotland, and an incitement to anti-Catholic sectarianism."

The letter goes on to say that the content of the message "is clearly a matter of some concern to the Catholic Church in Scotland" and asks for confirmation that "should the allegation be proved against Dallas, he will be removed from his post."

The email sent from the SFA account belonging to Dallas contained no text, but included an image attachment of a school crossing sign with a silhouette of an adult holding a child's hand and the word "Caution".

Beneath the sign, added text makes reference to the Pope's visit on 16 September.

In response to media reports about the email, the SFA chief executive said in a statement released on 10 November: "I can confirm I have looked into the circulation of the email reported in the media at the weekend.

"Let me state categorically that I do not condone the transmission of any email content that might cause offence to anyone.

"I have spoken with staff and the matter will now be dealt with internally, in line with the Scottish FA's Information Systems Acceptable Use Policy."

He's now been sacked.

Is this right and isn't it just the kind of thing that goes around most companies? I really do think that they are just being a bunch of delicate flowers.

Of course this is still more evidence as to what is really behind the refereeing 'errors'. Well, at least according to the Celtic family. It really does make us a laughing stock as a country that this kind of nonsense is perpetuated by both sides.

Online Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 11:06:41 PM »
The offending image:

All of this has certainly got Richard Dawkins' goat:

Hugh Dallas, head of referee development for the Scottish Football Association has been sacked because he passed on, by eMail, a joke about the pope. His dismissal was called for by a spokesman for the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland. This nasty little weasel is called Peter Kearney, Director of the Scottish Catholic Media Office. His details, in case you feel like sending him a message, are as follows:

Peter Kearney, Director, Scottish Catholic Media Office, St George's Buildings, 5 St Vincent Place, Glasgow G1 2DH
eMail: mail@scmo.org

Similarly, the Chief Executive of the Scottish Football Association, responsible for this craven giving-in to Catholic censorship is Stewart Regan. The address of this coward is Scottish Football Association, Hampden Park, Glasgow G42 9AY
eMail info@scottishfa.co.uk

It would seem, from the YouTube video posted here, that the joke concerned is the one that heads this page, warning children of the approach of the pope. The caption was censored, but it isn't difficult to find the original. It is at http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/caution-pope.jpg

My suggestion is that we should do our best to make this joke go viral, beginning by sending hundreds of copies of it to these two addresses:
mail@scmo.org
info@scottishfa.co.uk

But there are probably funnier jokes along the same lines, and I would encourage you to send as many as you can find.

Richard

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/555416-football-referee-sacked-for-pope-joke

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 11:20:05 PM »
He's now been sacked.

Is this right and isn't it just the kind of thing that goes around most companies? I really do think that they are just being a bunch of delicate flowers.

Of course this is still more evidence as to what is really behind the refereeing 'errors'. Well, at least according to the Celtic family. It really does make us a laughing stock as a country that this kind of nonsense is perpetuated by both sides.

If you emailed something around from your work account that someone complained was offensive you would probably be disciplined or sacked depending on your HR department and how high profile the error.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 11:55:40 PM »
The offending image:

All of this has certainly got Richard Dawkins' goat:

Hugh Dallas, head of referee development for the Scottish Football Association has been sacked because he passed on, by eMail, a joke about the pope. His dismissal was called for by a spokesman for the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland. This nasty little weasel is called Peter Kearney, Director of the Scottish Catholic Media Office. His details, in case you feel like sending him a message, are as follows:

Peter Kearney, Director, Scottish Catholic Media Office, St George's Buildings, 5 St Vincent Place, Glasgow G1 2DH
eMail: mail@scmo.org

Similarly, the Chief Executive of the Scottish Football Association, responsible for this craven giving-in to Catholic censorship is Stewart Regan. The address of this coward is Scottish Football Association, Hampden Park, Glasgow G42 9AY
eMail info@scottishfa.co.uk

It would seem, from the YouTube video posted here, that the joke concerned is the one that heads this page, warning children of the approach of the pope. The caption was censored, but it isn't difficult to find the original. It is at http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/caution-pope.jpg

My suggestion is that we should do our best to make this joke go viral, beginning by sending hundreds of copies of it to these two addresses:
mail@scmo.org
info@scottishfa.co.uk

But there are probably funnier jokes along the same lines, and I would encourage you to send as many as you can find.

Richard

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/555416-football-referee-sacked-for-pope-joke

Was he pissed when he posted that?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal