collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: England's real Academy of Football is  (Read 13590 times)

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
England's real Academy of Football is
« on: November 18, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »
Forget Manchester United, Liverpool and West Ham, England's real Academy of Football is... Aston Villa
By NEIL MOXLEY Last updated at 3:15 PM on 18th November 2010

In terms of youth development, Aston Villa are miles behind. They really are playing catch-up at Bodymoor Heath.
Now before you start thinking to yourself (again) that the Midlander has lost the plot, let me explain. There's a wall in the Academy area at Villa's state-of-the-art training facility, upon which are photographs of the boys who made it. The last time I looked, there were only five up there. Villa need to start gearing up the printing presses again.
So, they are light years behind where they should have been in saluting those who passed through their youth system and played in the Barclays Premier League.

The kids are alright: Marc Albrighton (centre) is the latest youth player to make the grade at Aston Villa
It's about the only criticism I can level at a youth set-up that has been more successful than any other in developing players for first-team level over the last 15 years. And I know anyone south of Watford will be pointing to Tony Carr at West Ham. Good for them. I'm still backing myself on this one.
Those on Merseyside might suggest that Villa haven't developed the likes of Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher, Robbie Fowler or Michael Owen. Top-class talent, all of them. Perhaps Liverpool, to my mind, have served English football as well as Villa.
Of course, Manchester United did too, but it's almost two decades now since the golden generation and they are only now beginning to bring another batch through. And how many are English? It's about time Villa started receiving recognition for the work they have done. And remember where you read it first.

Academy director Bryan Jones, along with Kevin MacDonald, Sid Cowans, Tony McAndrew and Steve Burns have proved that stability can pay. Jones has been in situ for the past 13 years and to my mind, not only have Villa developed players for the first-team, and England too, but they have also nurtured other talents who have gone on to have successful careers in the game.
For example, Gareth Barry,* Lee Hendrie, Darius Vassell and Gabby Agbonlahor have all gone on to represent their country. Cash brought in - around £16.5m - from the sales of Liam Ridgewell, Steven Davis, Luke Moore, Gary Cahill and Craig Gardner has paid for the staff's salaries ten times' over.
The likes of Keith Fahey and Boaz Myhill - both contracted now to other clubs in the Barclays Premier League - have also passed through Bodymoor Heath.
Of the remainder, Marc Albrighton and Nathan Delfouneso have represented England at Under 21 level. Certainly the former will go on. If Delfouneso listens and more importantly, matures, Villa's Academy staff think he is a very, very bright prospect.
Barry Bannan is now a Scotland international. Ciaran Clark has been called up to the senior Ireland squad - although I believe he should have waited and chosen England as he was their Under 19s skipper.
Personally, I really like Eric Lichaj. Not as eye-catching as some of them but he has knuckled down and waited for his chance. If he doesn't get it, expect suitors to come calling next summer.
In addition to this, we also have Gary Gardner - who (sorry Craig) they tell me could turn out to be a better player than his brother. Certainly, when I spoke about Gary to Noel Blake during the summer, England's Under 19 coach was raving about him.
On top of that, a small, powerful Austrian forward. Andreas Weimann. I've only seen him a couple of times, but when I viewed him during a pre-season friendly at Peterborough, I could see he's got an eye for goal. Similar in stature to a mini Gerd Muller.

Capping it all: Gabby Agbonlahor (right) is one of many Villa youth players to go on and represent England
So who knows what this next crop might achieve? It was MacDonald - it shouldn't be forgotten - who was convinced this lot were good enough for the first-team when he handed over his team-sheet in Vienna, containing the names of Jonathan Hogg, Lichaj, Bannan and Albrighton.
And, just like John Gregory who introduced Barry before his 18th birthday, Gerard Houllier deserves credit for taking what was a huge gamble against Manchester United.
But let's not forget where those lads were nurtured. Last Saturday's paying customers saw the benefit of that education. It's about time it was recognised.
* I know Gareth Barry was signed from Brighton in what was Brian Little's last act as Villa manager, but there was no written guarantee at that stage of his development as to what he would turn into. 

Read more: Daily Mail Web site.

Offline Lucky Eddie

Re: England's real Academy of Football is
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 05:14:52 PM »
Yay Us! Congratulations to all concerned.

Online timeoutbigbar

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »
Something worth reading from the Daily Mail? shocker.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
The last time we had a wave coming through together was twenty five years ago when we had Poole, Norton, Gallagher, Glover, Bradley, Kerr and Burke. To be fair they all had decent pro careers but you could tell after a few games they weren't top notch. The lads now getting their chance look like they can actually be top flight players. Clark looks comfortable, I think Albrighton is doing great and Weimann looked good when I saw him pre-season. Theres Lichal and Hogg too but I really like the look of Delfouneso.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 07:05:14 PM »
Does Moxley love us?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:00:45 AM »
We've produced very good winning youth sides.

And enough numbers making the grade here and elsewhere to justify the costs.

But the true test of any youth set up should be how many of those special talents it uncovers, those players so good they save you a fortune in the transfer market.

That's where we've fallen down in the past. Whilst it's OK to have some of them in and around the squad and some of them even getting a handful of games for England, if they're not first team players for any length of time -having a big impact for us over a lengthy period- you could if anything make the argument that we've come up a bit short in that dept.

It should always be quality over quantity, I'd take one Rooney over loads of Craig Gardners, Luke and Stefan Moores et.c

Barry was probably the best of all the players we've had through the youth and reserves -and even he wasn't ours initially.

We do look like this current crop could be a notch or two above the last few but the acid test will be how GH utilises them when we have the sick bay cleared, plus when he signs his own lot. Will he still keep faith with them?

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 01:28:53 AM »
Great write up.   He knows our stuff..      I think Whittingham deserves a mention too..

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:37:28 AM »
But the true test of any youth set up should be how many of those special talents it uncovers, those players so good they save you a fortune in the transfer market.

That's where we've fallen down in the past. Whilst it's OK to have some of them in and around the squad and some of them even getting a handful of games for England, if they're not first team players for any length of time -having a big impact for us over a lengthy period- you could if anything make the argument that we've come up a bit short in that dept.

It should always be quality over quantity, I'd take one Rooney over loads of Craig Gardners, Luke and Stefan Moores et.c

hhmmm yeah, but no, but no...  Of course we need to find a Rooney or a... a Gerrard (jesus there are few world class English Players) but I think these players make it because of their raw talent rather than - or despite - any coaching techniques/youth academy, otherwise Everton and Liverpool would produce them much more frequently.

In an ironic sort of way I think it shows that Villa's set up is better than most because we can turn a whole host of average athletes - Ridgwell, Davis, Cahill, Gabby, Hendrie, etc etc - into premier league players, consistently over a number of years.  Consistency being the key word, from that you get predictability/reliability.

The only youth set up in the UK that consistently produced players capable of the upper premiership in recent years is probably West Ham and that was hmmm ten years ago now (ferdinand, defoe, carrick, fat frank etc).

Basically what I am saying is its only luck that has stopped us finding a world class gem rather than a flaw in what our youth set up does.  In addition for every Gabby we produce it means we save £XXm in transfer fees that can be transfered to other targets.

Does that makes sense?  I've just got back from the pub...? *hick*

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 07:36:58 AM »
Does Moxley love us?

He's a local lad and a good journo, but he's actually a nose.

I think its more about loving local football.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 09:18:42 AM »
Good article i think these youngsters we have got now are the real deal and with a few more coming through the future looks bright for us.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 09:35:34 AM »
Basically what I am saying is its only luck that has stopped us finding a world class gem rather than a flaw in what our youth set up does.

I agree.

The examples given were Gerrard and Rooney, both of who were born in Liverpool making them natural kids for Liverpool and Everton to spot.  I think a greater achievement is Man Utd, who scouted the likes of Giggs and Beckham from further afield.

Maybe that's our one fault in that our prospects coming through are only from our immediate vicinity*.  Were we to improve the scouting at this level what would our excellent accademy do with the cream of the entire country, if not the worlds, 12 and 13 year olds?

*I think only Weimann and Barry Bannan are from outside the Midlands?     

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »

How did we find Bannan by the way?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »

How did we find Bannan by the way?

Doug Ellis was making a speech at a scottish lock, demonstrating how had first invented the bagpipes, when he noticed some biys playing football.  One of them was a small lad but reminded Doug of his own son...

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 12:46:22 PM »
Wasn't he encouraged to come here from Celtic's youth system?

Offline pedro25

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 12:46:32 PM »
Herd and Lowry are Aussies, Clark is Irish and I'M sure Hogg is a northerner, as was Cahill and Ridgewell a southerner

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal