collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Delph on track to return in Jan  (Read 10137 times)

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Re: Delph on track to return in Jan
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 01:45:26 AM »
Whats happening with Gary Gardner ???

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 02:55:37 AM »
Let's hope that he comes back slowly.  I trust Hollier to do just that.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 07:51:51 AM »
I'd like Gerard and McAllister to sort out the timing of his tackling when he returns, far too many late challenges previously.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 08:39:02 AM »
I'd like Gerard and McAllister to sort out the timing of his tackling when he returns, far too many late challenges previously.
Good point. Although, Paul Scholes has proven that tackling isn't something that can be easily resolved with training.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 10:07:42 AM »

Hopefully his reading of the game will improve with experience and he'll stay on his feet and press more.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »
However I think a top DMC signing is still necessary as it is highly unlikely that all three of the youngsters will make it (on the flip side - one will, and be signed by Man City).  I'd be looking for a 22-25 year old that has played a lot of games:  Defour or Witsel spring to mind.

Agree with this, although I think Defour is more attacking - I do like the look of Witsel.

Were Ash to go or move back out wide and be replaced by Delph it would change the dynamic of the side.  We'd probably be more solid and hopefully still get a central threat by Delph and Bannan taking turns getting forward to support the striker.

Offline Merv

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
Good point. Although, Paul Scholes has proven that tackling isn't something that can be easily resolved with training.

I always think Scholes' tackling would have improved far quicker had a few referees shown a bit more bottle and sent him off... maybe he'd have learned to temper his challenges that way. The guy could be on a dozen red cards in his career - he's had so many let-offs it's untrue!

Walters Warriors - I believe Gary Gardner was cleared to resume full training a week or so ago; probably still a couple of weeks away from getting a game with the reserves though. Get him and Delph up to speed for the New Year and our midfield options could be very exciting.

Offline Yeltzer

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »

He was off to sign for Inter Milan wasn't he. The FSW wanted him. Big lol.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 11:38:56 AM »

He was off to sign for Inter Milan wasn't he. The FSW wanted him. Big lol.

He was reported to be back in training by various sites. Now i have heard nothing on his progres. Any body know anything ????

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 03:41:07 PM »
Good news

I just hope he can be the player that everyone thinks he will

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
Cheers Merv. Appreciated.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 05:04:11 PM »
Scholes never intended to change his way of tackling, he sticks the boot in and gets away with it, if he had played for any one else he would have had to change

Offline treeve1

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 12:43:37 AM »
With some close guidance, Delph should be our future centre mid. I am totally sold on that.  We have not been blessed with great quality centre mids over the years, they are either good on the ball but with no pace (Barry) or good destructive players who never trouble the keeper (NRC, McGann,) or have an ok all round game but with nothing particularly special (Gardner, Davis, Petrov, Sidwell). Milner was becoming the exception as he was as close to Gerard as we have seen since Platt, but whilst Milner had hard work and endeavour as his main attributes, unfortunately real "class" was only occasional as probably man city fans are finding out.

Delph has class though. He's completely at ease with the ball at his feet, is box to box and can score. Under GH's tutoring, he will be our best chance of creating a Gerrard that we have had in a long time. Having seen Bannan emerge over the last few weeks, he seems in the same mould, in the fact that he is totally comfortable with the ball too, but can also play the killer pass. God have we yearned for that over the last few years. His ball for Albrighton away at Fulham for the goal and then vs Utd his ball to Downing 1st half and to Young for the Albrighton goal showed his creative quality. His ability to turn on a sixpence due to his size too is incredible as he turned utd's midfield inside out on a few occasions and had the balls to do it - that's class. C. Clark is the same too. Vs Chelsea when he came on, some of his composure on the ball was outstanding. A little McGrath-esque I might add. His ability to turn this way or that, not to hoof as the first option was awesome. These three, plus Albrighton (not seen enough of Lichaj yet) with a bit of quality experience around them really could turn into diamonds under the new management regime. As for Delfouneso, he needs to get Gabby's "best of" DVD and sit and watch it over and over and over and see what hard work earns you. Gabby gave a master-class on Saturday vs Utd in strength and hold up play and created a penalty on sheer effort. ND needs to take note and follow in Gabby's footsteps, not Luke Moore's.

Rant over.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 01:01:47 AM »
I thought Delph struggled in his fleeting appearances last season. Seems a good athlete anyway and combative but again lets not build him up too much. Looking forward to seeing him get a chance in a different system that values possession of the ball. We have three left sided centre midfield options now - possibly one too many

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 02:04:52 AM »

MON alluded to this as an issue even prior to his injury.

Hopefully the length of time he's been out has rammed the issue home. He has all the toys to make it in the top flight; good control, eye for a pass, likes to take players on and beat them and relishes the physical aspect of the game. It's rare to see a player possess all that, if they're good at the former they often lack the latter.

Controversial viewpoint, but I reckon part of the problem Arsenal have had with injuries in recent seasons is they are so focussed on pretty patterns and what they do in possession that they neglected to a certain extent how players should protect themselves when challenging for the ball.

Whether Arsene likes it or not tackling too is a skill and is still a crucial part of the game.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:07:21 AM by KevinGage »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal