collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young: Staying or going?  (Read 66869 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Ashley Young and Arsenal move
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
Seems a little dubious. This isn't really Wenger's style (the Arshavin transfer had the feel of a definite one-off - all other big spends are on young players he can mould, which Ash isn't anymore). Also, doesn't he have enough attacking-midfielders/wingers? Isn't that his only type of player? Do they really have the amount of money, also? Would they really spend it on an English player in January when they could wait for his contract to be up if he really wanted to go? This all seems a little horseshitty.

Offline Pete

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »
Quote: Villaalways

Quote from: Pete on Today at 04:13:13 PM
Not so long ago, Norm in Canada (?) started a thread posing the question - 'what if we sold Ashley Young and used the money to improve the squad'? He was absolutely, and almost unanimously, slated. How quickly things change....
I'm taking it that was before Ashley refused to sign a contract ?

Well before, season before last I think when Ashley was considered so indispensible that even the suggestion that selling him might be a constructive long-term move caused outrage on here.

Offline pauly1_4

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
The worrying thing is that he is an Arsenal Fan! I did hear from someone very close to him that he was VERY close to signing for Spurs in the summer, even looking at houses, but when MON left he decided to stay..........we will have to see!

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »
Double Meh!

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 04:45:39 PM »
The worrying thing is that he is an Arsenal Fan! I did hear from someone very close to him that he was VERY close to signing for Spurs in the summer, even looking at houses, but when MON left he decided to stay..........we will have to see!

I can never understand this. 

It's not Young's choice who he plays for and when he goes if he's under contract.  Even if remotely any of this rumour is true and even if Young fancies a move back to London it isn't going to happen until our valuation is met if and when we decide to sell.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »
He will take some replacing believe me, even if he is inconsistent at times.

My bigger worry is the message it will reinforce after Barry and then the Milner saga in the Summer  -  Villa are no longer trying to compete at the top end of the table as their top players continue to leave to further their ambitions and allow the club to balance their books.

It's not what I believe but it is the perception - how long before Albrighton, Bannan go the same way. Just depressing.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
That's the risk.  If we replace with a talent as good as or better than Ashley, however, then I don't think we have anything to worry about.  What if we went in for Adam Johnson at Man City, for example?

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
I like the Adam Johnson idea, like Mr. Laursen suggested man city could implode and the Villa could profit from the crazy spending as their good players will want to leave.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 04:57:10 PM »
I wonder about some of you sometimes! Whenever we have a good player there is always plenty who state a good reason to say why he is not perfect and why we should sell him.
He is currently playing brilliantly-but he ain't perfect. He has not said a bad word about the club, management or team mates.
All great players have good and bad games, I still regret that we couldn't keep/sold Milner and Barry as although they have faults, are probably good enough to get in any Premiership team. Ash likewise.
True-I am very happy with how the youngsters have performed in their absence. But I sometimes wonder if perhaps we deserve the second-string players we had acquired under Mon for our lack of support to some of the players(not all).
I am hopeful GH can improve on our poor buying and transfer process, it doesn't have to be a major drama and signs are he is much more direct with his dealings with players.
 But please don't so easily say move him on or he's rubbish. Even Sidwell, Marlon, Carew,Osbourne et al are not rubbish-they are just not the standard we require or they do not fit well with our set up. Ash undoubtedly is and does.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 04:59:23 PM »
Not so long ago, Norm in Canada (?) started a thread posing the question - 'what if we sold Ashley Young and used the money to improve the squad'? He was absolutely, and almost unanimously, slated. How quickly things change....

And by quickly you mean two years?

Bannan is the latest next big thing, but if he delivered a few years of inconsistent form it wouldn't really stack up to judge him only on what he'd done two years ago.

I like Ash, at the moment we're a better team with him than without him.
Even when he's looking quiet or off the pace he can come up with one cross or one moment of magic to turn a game.

But the players have all the power nowadays and if he wants out there's not a huge amount we can do - short of getting the best possible price. That's different to looking to sell him just to cash in, as Norm was advocating at the time.

Not selling to 'arry would also be a bonus.  Of all the sides who finished above us last year, they're probably the most catchable.

A few years ago I'd have thought it impossible to progress if we sold a player of that calibre - sends out all the wrong signals et.c.  But if Ireland is committed to making a go of things here he could make Ash's current position in the side his own. He'd probably bring more quality to it as well. Talk of Benzema is probably pie in the sky too but if we are looking of players of that calibre to play up front to invest the Milner/ and potentially Young money we might be a better side overall for it.

Providing it is re-invested, rather than just banked to pay off loans et.c

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
let him go, in fact we've got to let him go to get a decent price...he won't be missed that much...

Get a grip. He's the best player at the club.

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »
let him go, in fact we've got to let him go to get a decent price...he won't be missed that much...

I agree he is the best player at the club but he has to show it in performances as he has been off the boil for the last 12 months or so.

I alos have a bit more faith in Houllier, as opposed to MON, replacing him if he does leave.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 05:09:10 PM »
Not the end of the world if he goes and we replace with quality like Spurs did when they sold Keane, Defoe, Robinson, Berbatov and Carrick.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 05:19:07 PM »

Maybe 18 months ago on current form no way, Downing is way ahead
Sell him and go for Jarvis

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 05:29:16 PM »
Shakes head with wonder at some of the comments on here.  Get a grip everyone, what was it Mazrim once said " some Villa supporters are shaking like a bunch of shitting puppies".  FFS.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal