collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young: Staying or going?  (Read 67067 times)

Offline villa for life

Re: Ashley Young and Arsenal move
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
let him go, in fact we've got to let him go to get a decent price...he won't be missed that much...

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 03:52:31 PM »
It's said all players have their price.
A couple of years ago I'd have said Ash was irreplaceable. His delivery from corners and set pieces was the best seen in the Prem since Beckham in his pomp.
For whatever reason, the quality in his crossing is just not there any more on a consistent basis and while I'd be sorry to see him go he's no longer irreplaceable.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 04:00:41 PM »
Swap him for a few of their players perhaps? Bendtner, Walcott and one or two others might enter the equation? I'd gladly take Gibbs off their hands, think he is going to be some player...

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »
We'd survive if he went,we have in the past after selling our players. I don't believe Wenger would pay what we want though,so i'm sure theres nothing to worry about,also if its on ts,its gotta be b.s.

Offline supertom

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »
To be honest, as long as the money can be entirely re-invested, it doesn't bother me. Ash has underachieved for the last two years to be frank. He's far too inconsistent.

Granted he's sometimes brilliant, but those days seem to be a rarity, especially since the turn of the year.

With Albrighton emerging and Bannan too, as well as Downing now performing to a high standard, I think we'd be better selling Ash to fund a move for a top class striker. Can we live without him on the wing? Yes. Is he irreplaceable as a front man? No way.

These days he frustrates me more than anything else, and I feel if there's a time to cash in, it's now. If we did it in January, we could ask for an exorbitant fee too. I have no real expectations this season, beyond consolidating, so I don't see it being something that would implode a top 4 push, because we're too far off to sustain one now. This is the season for the kids, and for GH to get things his way.

Offline peter w

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 04:05:34 PM »
meh

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 04:07:20 PM »
I think we'd be better selling Ash to fund a move for a top class striker.

I think we'd be better off keeping him and just buying the top class striker anyway.

Online Darth Villa

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 04:09:31 PM »
It's said all players have their price.
A couple of years ago I'd have said Ash was irreplaceable. His delivery from corners and set pieces was the best seen in the Prem since Beckham in his pomp.
For whatever reason, the quality in his crossing is just not there any more on a consistent basis and while I'd be sorry to see him go he's no longer irreplaceable.

To be honest, as long as the money can be entirely re-invested, it doesn't bother me. Ash has underachieved for the last two years to be frank. He's far too inconsistent.

Granted he's sometimes brilliant, but those days seem to be a rarity, especially since the turn of the year.

With Albrighton emerging and Bannan too, as well as Downing now performing to a high standard, I think we'd be better selling Ash to fund a move for a top class striker. Can we live without him on the wing? Yes. Is he irreplaceable as a front man? No way.

These days he frustrates me more than anything else, and I feel if there's a time to cash in, it's now. If we did it in January, we could ask for an exorbitant fee too. I have no real expectations this season, beyond consolidating, so I don't see it being something that would implode a top 4 push, because we're too far off to sustain one now. This is the season for the kids, and for GH to get things his way.

Agree with these posters.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 04:11:44 PM »
Swap him for a few of their players perhaps? Bendtner, Walcott and one or two others might enter the equation? I'd gladly take Gibbs off their hands, think he is going to be some player...

Nice idea.  A swap with Bendtner plus hmmm £10m.  We already have Ireland, Albrighton and Downing so we have a decent set of attacking midfielders therefore we can afford to go for a risky replacement.  I like the look of the Belgian dude, Eden Hazzard (is he already beyond Villa?).

Offline Pete

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 04:13:13 PM »
Not so long ago, Norm in Canada (?) started a thread posing the question - 'what if we sold Ashley Young and used the money to improve the squad'? He was absolutely, and almost unanimously, slated. How quickly things change....

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 04:19:18 PM »
It wouldn't be the end of the world, I think we have seen a few players coming through who can fill his boots and I'm sure that Hou will be able to find a few more. Young is more frustrating than anything now.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
Not so long ago, Norm in Canada (?) started a thread posing the question - 'what if we sold Ashley Young and used the money to improve the squad'? He was absolutely, and almost unanimously, slated. How quickly things change....
I'm taking it that was before Ashley refused to sign a contract ?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 04:23:28 PM »
I would be sad to see him go but if we get a massive offer and he is determined to go and we can use the money to re-invest in the team then i would say thanks and all the best.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 04:25:27 PM »
Concerned.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal