collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Another standing debate  (Read 11771 times)

Offline TonyD

Re: Another standing debate
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »
If the old Holte came back it would be full to bursting every match.      I know so many fans who are pissed off the way the modern game has gone over the last 15 years and not being able to stand is a massive factor that limits the amount of games they attend.  I for one would go more often. It would encourage back the walk up crowd and the anticipation of the lock out!!

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »
Even if the Holte End were to be reverted to a all standing terrace, it would never have the same atmosphere it once had.
There was no greater site for me than coming through the 'Juveniles' turnstile and then looking up from the front of the old stand. It was truly awe inspiring.
I agree Dave, I dont think the majority would revert back to standing only. Just has I dont believe the passion for the game is the same as it was pre premier league.

Football is all to sanitised for me now.
Nothing is spontaneous anymore. We have to pre-book a ticket, sit only where tickets are still left available.

How good were the days when you could rock up at the ground, pay at the turnstile and meet and stand with you mate on the Holte End, regardless from which gate you both entered.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »
I would quite happily stand up if the option wre available again.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 01:14:26 PM »
It'll never happen.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »
It'll never happen.

Almost certainly not, and if it did it wouldn't be a recreation of the surging, seething Holte of old. It would be a safe, sanitised version of standing, limited numbers and plenty of warnings about an immediate shutdown should just one thing go wrong.

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
Anyone who thinks the atmosphere wouldn't be better if the lower Holte was standing is deluded. Look at all the best atmospheres in recent years, the fans in the Holte have been stood, Tranmere, Blues games, Bolton semi final, Blackburn semi final, and it shows the demand is there for standing. The Holte would be packed and buzzing every week with terracing because it would be new to a lot of people. And it works safely in Germany so why not here? Borrusia Dortmund have got a huge stand behind their goal, it's a terrace and holds about 25,000! And don't give me the line about Hillsbrough, that was the police's fault and the fences at the front, nothing to do with terracing.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »
I don't want to go down the nostalgia or usual stand up/sit down argument roads,

And so, we went straight over the usual arguments again.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
And don't give me the line about Hillsbrough, that was the police's fault and the fences at the front, nothing to do with terracing.
Don't go there.

Offline D.boy

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »
Would the old Holte have survived and had a place in this day and age - absolutely.
We supporters have been dictated to by the FA, and manipulated/buggered about by Sky for so long we just accept it now. Since its inception Sky have played a major part in how the premier league has developed and have a big say due to the money they have pumped in.
We have suffered price hikes/kick offs moved to stupid times/the Sky 4 etc.
We are the fee paying supporters who want to watch football live at the ground and support our team. If we want to sit or stand, the decision should be ours. I would much rather be there in the flesh than watching on tv.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
How many of the young 'uns on here who have never stood would like terraces back? Just a thought.

Offline Darth Villa

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 04:02:05 PM »
Interesting point Dave. At current prices I don't think you would get a huge clamour to stand, not enough to fill the Holte anyway. Put prices on a par with the Bundesliga standing sections say £15 a pop and you'd be in business. It might also have a knock effect on the way people think about going to the match, with more people deciding on match day as opposed to buying tickets in advance. Far easier for a group of friends to stand together rather than find a section of seats together.

Offline peter w

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »
You do what you have to do. seats in all grounds mean that people will sit down, and it will attract people who want to sit down. If the norm is to stand then people will stand. Those that don't will go into the seating area. Football will attract those it sees as its target audience and seating really is neither here o there other than nostalgic preference.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
I just can't see the sort of clientele (for want of a better word) football now attracts wanting to stand up. And like it or not, many of the old standers have either been priced out or prefer to watch on TV. In fact, I think that even had the Taylor Report not included the all-seater recommendation, terraces such as the Holte would have been gone by now anyway.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 04:24:46 PM »
From a technical perspective, could the lower Holte be converted to a standaing area anyway ?
If the seats were removed, would the steps be too high/too low ?
I'm sure if it meant ripping it all out and replacing if so that the 'rake' (?) was right and safe , then it becomes a non starter on that point alone. 

Offline D.boy

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 04:25:59 PM »
If the old Holte was still there and the price was say £15 then I think there would be plenty of takers.
The current seating layout isn't ideal unless you are about 5'2. I have sat all round the ground and always have trouble with legroom and shoulder room. I'm 6'2 and no I'm not the same size as Barry Austin.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal