collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NRC "playing hardball"  (Read 14128 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: NRC "playing hardball"
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2010, 09:37:25 PM »
I'd offer him the going rate for a first team player at Villa. Maybe £35-40k a week. If he wants more, then flog him. We could replace him.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »
He's bound to try and get the best deal he can.  Anyone would.  As someone mentioned earlier I trust RL and GH to handle the things correctly.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2010, 11:15:07 PM »
Why shouldn't our vice captain want a little more than parity with Habib Beye?

Offline Reality

• Sean
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 12:32:47 AM »
Makoun in if he is demanding anything over 35k.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2010, 12:45:06 AM »
Reo Coker is only doing what anyone would do in his position. His contract is up in the summer and it will cost us at least 5-6m to replace him. He is still young enough and I would keep him. He will only be going to a club worse than Villa so Id expect all parties to see sense. Maybe incentivise number of appearances - with the emergence of Bannan and Clark, Delph coming back from injury after Xmas, Ireland possibly rediscovering his form and Petrov and Sidwell still around - centre midfield will be a competitive one after Xmas.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2010, 12:50:01 AM »
From Sporting Life, and I am sure other sources

Gerard Houllier hopes Aston Villa can reach a compromise with Nigel Reo-Coker and persuade him to sign a new contract.

Reo-Coker's current deal expires in the summer and he is reported to want an increase in wages from £30,000 to £50,000 a week to remain at Villa Park.

Houllier confirmed that talks are ongoing with Reo-Coker, who is currently sidelined with a knee problem suffered at Fulham at the weekend.

And the former Liverpool boss is keen for Reo-Coker to stay after making him stand-in skipper when Stiliyan Petrov was ruled out for two months with his own knee injury.

Houllier confirmed: "There are talks going on at the moment regarding Nigel. Am I confident a compromise can be reached? Yes, between the two figures mentioned.

"That's a compromise. The figures mentioned are 30,000 and 50,000 and between there is 40,000.

"I want to keep Nigel and they (Reo-Coker and his representatives) know that. He was my captain."

Meanwhile, Houllier insists he showed no disrespect to striker John Carew and that his comments were misinterpreted.

Houllier and Carew were involved in a public spat over the weekend but the Villa boss is adamant everything has been resolved and explained the situation to the whole squad.

He said: "This is my last word. The matter is over. I just explained in front of everybody there was a discrepancy in terms of John's interpretation and what I said.

"My words (at press conferences) are always recorded so when John saw that he realised that there was a difference.

"The matter is over. I think it was better the whole team knows what I said and why I said it so that's finished now.

"I'm surprised because he's a very experienced player. He's been around everywhere and he knows me and he knows that sometimes the media can twist your words or use one angle.

"He knows that. I think the Norwegian press distorted what was in the English press or what was said."

This was on 9th November so last week. Direct quotes to what I said earlier re the meeting between 30 and 50k.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2010, 01:35:47 AM »
Simple soloution. Get rid. Clarke is already a better all round player, with better distribution and who dont foul every second tackle. He also has superior heading ability ........

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2010, 01:55:51 AM »
Simple soloution. Get rid. Clarke is already a better all round player, with better distribution and who dont foul every second tackle. He also has superior heading ability ........

Reo Coker has Villa over a barrel here really. We dont sign him up and he will probably sign a pre contract agreement in January with someone like Fulham which he is perfectly entitled to and we lose a player whom we bought for 8m for nothing. With Stephen Ireland on reportedly 80k a week you cant blame Reo Coker for asking for 50k.

If we give him a 3 year contract we can still flog him down the road.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2010, 07:53:34 AM »
Reo Coker has Villa over a barrel here really. We dont sign him up and he will probably sign a pre contract agreement in January with someone like Fulham which he is perfectly entitled to and we lose a player whom we bought for 8m for nothing. With Stephen Ireland on reportedly 80k a week you cant blame Reo Coker for asking for 50k.

If we give him a 3 year contract we can still flog him down the road.

It doesn't work like that though does it?

We've seen over the past few years that when you pay players more than the going rate, and there's been plenty said about Villa's wage bill being much larger than both Spurs and Everton as a result of paying average players (I'm looking at you Habib Beye!) silly money, then you can't sell them on.  Luke Young turned down Liverpool for heaven's sake in the Summer because they wouldn't pay him anywhere near what we do!

How many players have we sold to anyone other than Man City over the past few years?  Shorey, Luke Moore, and Zat Knight are the only ones I can think of.  The rest who have gone have left because we didn't renew their contracts.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2010, 08:12:13 AM »
I thought players could only negotiate pre-contract agreements with clubs abroad?

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 08:14:04 AM »
Luke Young turned down Liverpool for heaven's sake in the Summer because they wouldn't pay him anywhere near what we do!

No he didn't

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2010, 08:42:50 AM »
I hope that's the naivity of youth you're showing there!

Of course he's going to say that - there arent many footballers who would come out and say that the other team wouldnt pay as much so I'd rather stay where I am!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2010, 09:02:48 AM »
Why shouldn't our vice captain want a little more than parity with Habib Beye?
When you put it like that then.... fair do.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »
I can't think of any logical reason why he would sign a new contract at the moment.

For the first time in his stay here he is an important player, he's in form and in a strong negotiating position. I wouldn't have thought there are many teams capable of paying him £60k a week and even fewer of them would be inclined to do so.
But we're not offering to pay even two-thirds of that figure at the moment.

As I said, whatever we're offering him now there's no reason we wouldn't offer it to him in the summer. He can keep his options open until then.

I could quite easily see someone bigger than us coming in for as back-up in midfield. Similar to when Chelsea picked up Sidwell on massive wages as an occasional squad player because there was no transfer fee to pay.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
Who knows, he might lose form, he might break his leg and we revise our offer to him downward.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal