collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Championship Memories by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:24:50 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:20:05 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Yeltzer
[Today at 07:18:53 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Axl Rose
[Today at 07:14:14 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:11:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Taylor
[Today at 07:09:17 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs AFC Bournemouth Pre-Match Thread by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:08:36 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:07:14 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Something special Going on  (Read 25250 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: Something special Going on
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »
When Petrov is back I'd expect to see him with Bannan not instead of him. It was that kind of steadying, experienced influence that we missed yesterday.
I've a feeling that Houllier has a defensive midfield replacement in mind for Petrov in January.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 01:31:33 PM »
what will be good is if we have an experienced head like Petrov to come off the bench, and play occasionally. I like the idea of Petrov being used sparingly for the rest of the season. He still has a lot to offer on the pitch as well as in a mentoring capacity off it.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 01:37:13 PM »
what will be good is if we have an experienced head like Petrov to come off the bench, and play occasionally. I like the idea of Petrov being used sparingly for the rest of the season. He still has a lot to offer on the pitch as well as in a mentoring capacity off it.
Agree totally.
Be ideal to have experience like his on the bench.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »
When Petrov is back I'd expect to see him with Bannan not instead of him. It was that kind of steadying, experienced influence that we missed yesterday.
I've a feeling that Houllier has a defensive midfield replacement in mind for Petrov in January.

Didn't the General's son say that midfield is GH's most pressing concern so that makes sense.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »
I think the only question once everyone is fit is, who should play alongside Bannan?

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2010, 03:41:58 PM »

Didn't the General's son say that midfield is GH's most pressing concern so that makes sense.

Surely that was before Bannan had shown what he was capable of!

Offline eastie

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2010, 04:11:45 PM »
I'd expect to see a striker and midfielder brought in as the 1st signings at the expense of Carew and sidwell- the more options the better, bannan has proved what he can do and I think he will play a big part as will reo- coker and petrov.

Houllier was a great fan of rotation at anfield and keeping players fresh and I'm sure they will all play their part- it will be good to get to march without our lads being totally knackered for once.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »

There's one big difference between this lot and those we've had before. In the past they've looked promising for the youth and reserves. This time they're doing it in the first team.

No, make that two differences. The second is a first team coach who knows and trusts them.

Agreed Dave.

In the (admittedly limited) few reserve games and pre season friendlies I've seen over the past few years it always struck me that the rookies could do the basics better than some members of the first team, namely control the ball, pass accurately and find space.

I wondered if this was just players looking good in non competitive games and whether it would translate to the first team but it looks like it has. Credit to all involved.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 05:00:40 PM »
Yesterday was quite superb, and there is something special going on. I just hope we stick faith in the kids. I think it's important we stick faith in the kids and add some much needed experience to the squad. Somebody like Patrick Viera would be ideal just for his experience and to guide the young lads. I think it's time for us to get rid of the dead wood i.e Beye, Davies, Salifou, Carew. I'd like a quality striker and an experience midfielder as previously stated. When everyone's fir I'd like to see the following line-up;

Friedel

Young            Cuellar                 Dunne                Warnock

Albrighton    Reo-Coker           Bannan                     Downing

Young
             Agbonlahor

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »
No one would be happier to me if two or three of this crop become first team regulars for the next four or five seasons.  I would, however, be cautious to say that that will come to pass.

Offline Boatengs_Forehead

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2010, 08:01:45 PM »
Our performance yesterday almost reminded me a bit of Germany in the world cup.  A young side with loads of pace and abilty, and more importantly nothing to lose.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2010, 08:43:06 PM »

Didn't the General also say that we have a crop of very promising youngsters which GH can work with? 

Maybe the midfield problem has sorted itself especially with Delph waiting in the wings.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2010, 08:46:53 PM »
Mirror reckons GH has £30m war chest to spend in Jan, I've always wanted to know the point in which some money becomes a warchest.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
Mirror reckons GH has £30m war chest to spend in Jan, I've always wanted to know the point in which some money becomes a warchest.

Indeed.  Does Blackburn's £5million transfer budget class as a warchest?

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
They even bought a Warhurst out of Jack Walker's warchest.
Indeed.  Does Blackburn's £5million transfer budget class as a warchest?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal