collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Something special Going on  (Read 25268 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Something special Going on
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 10:20:03 AM »
I think the good things we've heard about the youth and academy players for years actually has a degree of credibility for a change.

We're all capable of it, talking young players up when the first team or certain key individuals are off the pace. "Throw the kids in!"  Ignoring the fact that the kids are rarely better.

We build them up to ridiculous levels and then can't understand why they end up at the Olbiyun or lower.

This current lot do look like they could back the trend, a few of them anyway.

There's one big difference between this lot and those we've had before. In the past they've looked promising for the youth and reserves. This time they're doing it in the first team.

No, make that two differences. The second is a first team coach who knows and trusts them.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »
Do you reckon it's been easier for this batch of youngsters too breakthrough because they've done it together? For example Hogg and Bannan yesterday they have played together many times in the reserves and know each others game! As bizarre as it sounds it may well have helped seeing their buddy from the 2nd string alongside them than one of our more experienced midfielders.

Sid Cowans' involvement at first level may well be a massive help to this generation of kids, a master-stroke by GH? I think so!

Offline jembob

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »
We have a squad that finished sixth last year and would have done better but for MON's madness. This year has the addition of new, youthful talent and a manager who has the capacity to take us on a level so I've always thought that we could have another good season, possibly an excellent one.
This year the league is very open and apart from the title race we aren't out of anything. World-beating, glorious-footballing, press-wank-inducing Spurs are only a couple of points ahead of us and a good run of results will see us right up there. By January we should have a full strength squad and hopefully a couple of crafty signings which would set us up for a very strong finish to the season and I would be disappointed by anything less than 6th again. Yesterday's game might just set this team up for another really strong run and I'm looking forward to it. Either way this season will be entertaining.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »
Way, way too early to be making any predictions. Ask me again 10 games into next season when all the kids are still playing the way they have so far and we have just outplayed Bolton or some such other very physical team away from home...

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »
This year the league is very open and apart from the title race we aren't out of anything. World-beating, glorious-footballing, press-wank-inducing Spurs are only a couple of points ahead of us and a good run of results will see us right up there. By January we should have a full strength squad and hopefully a couple of crafty signings which would set us up for a very strong finish to the season and I would be disappointed by anything less than 6th again. Yesterday's game might just set this team up for another really strong run and I'm looking forward to it. Either way this season will be entertaining.

As I was saying to a 'nose at work on Friday, I can see us finishing the season quite strongly for a change.  For the last few years the manager had playing the same tried-and-trusted players up until March and then wondering why they were burned out all of a sudden.  This year we've got a number of players to come back who have barely figured and some like Delph who won't be back until the New Year.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 11:00:21 AM »
I do think there is something special going on seeing that game yesterday as made me so proud of the lad's the youngster's are doing exceptionly well and long may it continue.

Offline regular_john

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 11:31:42 AM »
This season will definitely pick up over the coming weeks. Once we get everyone fit again and Gabby gets up to full speed, we'll look a top side. For the first time in a long time we'll have players that can come off the bench and change a game (assuming Bannan, Clark etc. get relegated to the bench when the first teamers get back).

First team will probably look like this (maybe Dunne instead of Cuellar?)...

---------------------Friedel---------------------
Young-------Cuellar-------Collins------Warnock
A. Young-------NRC-------Petrov-------Downing
-------------Agbonlahor------Heskey-------------

which could leave a bench of...

Guzan, Dunne, Beye, Ireland, Albrighton, Delph, Carew

which still leaves Davies, Clark, Lichaj, Bannan, Hogg, Delfouneso and Weimann as backup/reserve. The best part is we have a manager who is willing to use these players, and we know that they can all do a job. Options! We have proper options for the first time in years!!

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »
A great bunch of lads coming through and playing with no fear, a manager who trusts them and they are playing good football, not even any moaning about the injury list from the manager, he just gets on with it, I am very proud of the youngsters coming through.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 11:36:23 AM »
An honest bunch of lads.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
Certain injuries of certain players has been a blessing in disguise....     

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 11:53:27 AM »
First team will probably look like this (maybe Dunne instead of Cuellar?)...

---------------------Friedel---------------------
Young-------Cuellar-------Collins------Warnock
A. Young-------NRC-------Petrov-------Downing
-------------Agbonlahor------Heskey-------------

which could leave a bench of...

Guzan, Dunne, Beye, Ireland, Albrighton, Delph, Carew

which still leaves Davies, Clark, Lichaj, Bannan, Hogg, Delfouneso and Weimann as backup/reserve. The best part is we have a manager who is willing to use these players, and we know that they can all do a job. Options! We have proper options for the first time in years!!

This is exactly what worries me. When Petrov is fit again he shouldn't be able to walk back in to the first team.  Bannan has really begun to settle in to the role, the through ball he played for Downing yesterday was within a yard of being perfect, could Petrov have made that pass?  Or indeed the pass for Albrighton at Fulham.  He has brought something to the midfield we lack when the CM's are Reo and Stan, vision and the ability to split the opposition defence with a pass.  Now that Gabby is coming back to fitness that ability is even more crucial as we have a striker of such genuine pace that can maximise the threat.
  I would also like to see Clarke to be given another chance to play in the holding role.  If he can settle down and get used to the passing side of the midfield job we would have a player genuinely capable of shielding our defence. 
The players currently out injured should not be allowed to stroll back into the first team, they should have to prove that the position is theirs by right.  Since these injuries have occured we have begun to raise our game, we look much more dangerous going forward and if we can find the balance that allows us to start keeping clean sheets regularly we could really start to think big.
I'm not saying we should keep playing the youngsters every game, but they are progressing so well because they are being given a chance to show what they are capable of.  Waving them off back to the reserves with a cheery 'thanks boys, good job.' is not going to help them progress further.  If we are in agreement that this season is about rebuilding let's see who is worthy of a place at this club.  This could be the perfect opportunity to rid ourselves of some of the overpaid players who are only interested in the wallets and replace them with youngsters who are playing for the passion and joy of the game.

Rant over.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »
When Petrov is back I'd expect to see him with Bannan not instead of him. It was that kind of steadying, experienced influence that we missed yesterday.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
When Petrov is back I'd expect to see him with Bannan not instead of him. It was that kind of steadying, experienced influence that we missed yesterday.

I agree with Chris on this.  Hogg for all his battling qualities didn't add to the game the way Petrov would have done.  It would also allow Bannan an element more freedom to get involved in play making further up the pitch.

Offline regular_john

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »
Dr Gonzo - I'm in complete agreement. The reality though is that the more experienced players are likely to get the nod the majority of the time. My point was that for the first time in years the 'best 11' doesn't seem so obvious, we finally have players (and academy graduates at that) that are going to really push the more experienced players for their spot. It's great to have selection headaches like this.

On the topic of Petrov and NRC though, I'd imagine that as captain and vice captain they'll walk back in to the team regardless of form.

Offline cb

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 01:12:48 PM »
Well right now I would very strongly disaggree that Bannan should lose his place in the team when the first teamers come back. He has added a level of quality to our midfield which is just not there when Petrov AND NRC play together. The key is the AND; I think that we do need some experience in the midfield positions, so there's a very strong argument that only ONE of Petrov or NRC should return alongside Bannan. They would then add either NRCs aggression or Petrov's positioning into the mix; something that had we had yesterday, would have won us the match!

There is certainly a place for these returning first teamers, but as things currently stand, not at the expense of either Albrighton or Bannan. Clark, Delfouneso and Hogg are a bit behind this, but I think they are showing that they can at the very least be rotation players. I'd like to see Clark returned to his CD position, as I don't think moving him around from position to position helps him too much in the long run. I'd like to see Delfouneso occasionally play in Ash's withdrawn striker role, as I think that would suit him better, not to mention allow the possibility of resting Ash, Downing or Albrighton. Hogg has shown he can come in and do a job, but he is the one I am least convinced by right now, but it's certainly good to have him!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal