collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A lesson from history  (Read 9082 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
A lesson from history
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
The only time I can ever remember Villa having a run of injuries like the current one was in 1978-79, and the seasons either side weren't exactly healthy ones either. As a result of this we started throwing youngsters into the team, which meant by the start of 1980-81 we had a crop of young players either still in or just out of their teens but with plenty of first team experience.

Players such as Gordon Cowans (age 21, over 150 first team games), Gary Shaw (19, 35 starts, 13 goals), Colin Gibson (20, 52 games) and Gary Williams (20, 30 games).  And they didn't do too badly that season. 

Offline Warren Aspinall

Re: A lesson from history
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
We had a bit of a problem around 5 years ago aswell, I remember us being without Baros & Phillips for a long while & i'm sure we had to play Samuel & Delaney as centrebacks in a few games because of chronic injury problems.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 10:44:13 PM »
Dave interesting i didnt realise that it was an injury crisis that caused the introduc tion of those players it was those players and a couple of decent signings without a massive budget that propeled us to our greatest achievement

Online The Man With A Stick

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
Good point.  I can't remember a run of injuries like this, certainly not in my time anyway.

MON would have had kittens had he still been around.  Blood the kids, all at once?  Not even a European game?  Madness!

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 11:04:29 PM »
Dave interesting i didnt realise that it was an injury crisis that caused the introduc tion of those players it was those players and a couple of decent signings without a massive budget that propeled us to our greatest achievement

It wasn't just injuries - they would have come through anyway. But things like Alex Cropley's broken leg and Brian Little's injuries meant Sid and Gary Shaw were getting into the side at a time when they might not otherwise have.

Offline bob

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 01:17:07 AM »
We had a bit of a problem around 5 years ago aswell, I remember us being without Baros & Phillips for a long while & i'm sure we had to play Samuel & Delaney as centrebacks in a few games because of chronic injury problems.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Way to get the point of the thread WA!

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 02:45:42 AM »

HAHAHAHAHA!

Way to get the point of the thread WA!

I know it's late/early but I don't get it (scratches head)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 07:59:56 AM »
Back then there was no such thing as transfer windows.  I don't recall Saunders at the time demanding a release of funds to buy us out of our prediciment...not that we had any funds at the time mind.

Anyway, I feel that sometimes when your hand is forced it can be a good thing.  The youngsters come in to fill the gaps with less expectancy from the fans as there is no other choice.  This allows them to a certain extent to express themselves without the added pressure. 

So far so good.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 08:07:09 AM »
We have been incredibly lucky in recent years though, and luck changes, so I guess we were due something like this.

In at the deep end can make a footballer.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 09:26:07 AM »
Also i can't remember a season like this when they dropping like flies let's just hope there will be no more injuries from now on.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »
A youth bounty similar to 78/79 would be rather nice.

I understand we moved to double training sessions when Gerard took over. Are we still doing that?

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 10:13:30 AM »
Good point.  I can't remember a run of injuries like this, certainly not in my time anyway.

MON would have had kittens had he still been around.  Blood the kids, all at once?  Not even a European game?  Madness!

I've been thinking about this myself lately and I was a big critic of the former manager. In his last few seasons he should have rotated the squad and he should have blooded Albrighton, Bannan,Clark, the Fonz. That being said, when he first came to the club he gave the likes of Gabby, Luke Moore and dare I say it Cahill a chance in the side. Shame he sold Cahill when he did and didn't continue to gradually blood the young prospects at the club.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »
Back then there was no such thing as transfer windows.  I don't recall Saunders at the time demanding a release of funds to buy us out of our prediciment...not that we had any funds at the time mind.

A very good point and one that Houllier will need to balance.

We're all expecting an influx of players thanks to his contacts and Randy's wallet, yet at what point does that become counter productive by holding back the emerging talents like Albrighton and Bannan?

Not turning this into a transfer thread, but I'm thinking three players only over Jan and summer, provided only the deadwood leave, would strenthen us the right amount and still allow the kids to blossom.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
Not turning this into a transfer thread, but I'm thinking three players only over Jan and summer, provided only the deadwood leave, would strenthen us the right amount and still allow the kids to blossom.
And to be fair, considering what job he has come from, I reckon Houllier is well placed (and more importantly in the right mindset) to develop the youngsters and integrate them into the first team. I certainly hope so.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »
And to be fair, considering what job he has come from, I reckon Houllier is well placed (and more importantly in the right mindset) to develop the youngsters and integrate them into the first team. I certainly hope so.

I'm absolutely convinced this was one of the main reasons he was appointed

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal