collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who will be the best player?  (Read 26111 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Who will be the best player?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
Clark for me.  I think he's going to be an england regular within a couple of years.  I'd already say he should be playing for us regularly on merit, which says a lot considering the central defenders we have.

I'd actually love to see him alongside Davies for a run of games, I think they could make a really good pairing as Davies looks good alongside a dominating defender and I see Clark being that once he's established.  The advantage is he has the brain to play midfield as well.

That said I think all 4 will be very good players (and I think Delph, Weimann and Lichaj all stand a chance of making it for us as well).

The difference with these kids compared to the team with gabby, etc is that this lot all seem to have gabby's determination to succeed, whereas I don't think any of the others from the previous side did, except possibly Cahill.

With the next batch it sounds like we'll have a couple more to add to the list as well, and Forrester is still young enough to make it if he can knuckle down a bit (he really needs to follow bannan's example).

Offline mozza

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »
Ciaran Clark gets my vote provided one of Manchester clubs doesn't
come calling..............future Villa captain
Inspired selection by GH to play him holding midfield ..........no doubt
Sid Cowans had a word in his ear........early comparisons with God ?

Sincerely hope I'm wrong but Nathan could go same way as Moore
brothers and Darren Byfield

Wee Barry is a 'terrier' reminds me of Bremner/Strachen but with
more skill. I've see him have a poor game but he never hides and
is capable of creating something from nothing

Finally Super Marc - already fast becoming a crowd favourite,
capable of delivering quality crosses into the box consistently-
an Andy Gray type centre forward would thrive -
Doesn't seem phased by the step up but needs to learn when
to stand his ground when defending and not jump him, maybe
take lessons from Warnock (not)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 09:21:44 PM »
Albrighton by an absolute mile.

Bannan has impressed most after him but hasn't done it for long enough yet, and there's obviously the questionmarks over his size.

Clark, and I know I'll be in a minority here, hasn't impressed me massively. He's done well in an unfamiliar role but when he was at centre half looked shakey at times to me.

Delfouneso could go either way, hasn't grown into his body and playing a role that doesn't suit him.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »
Clark for me.  I think he's going to be an england regular within a couple of years. 

He said he wants to play for Ireland

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 10:54:47 PM »
the performance at Fulham by Bannan was from a different era, we have not had that sort of player for so long, touch, movement, quick feet an eye for a pass an ability to find space he could be very special

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 12:52:55 AM »
I'm not bothered who turns out the best really, I just think it's bloody brilliant that we've got all of these youngsters coming to the boil at the same time.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 02:35:08 AM »
Of those four?

Clark will be a star, he's got it all.

Albrighton will forge a decent career in The Premier League, hopefully with us.

Bannan will end up at a decent Championship side.

Delfouneso isn't that good (sorry Maz!) and will drop down the leagues ending up at Cheltenham or something.

Offline lessealey

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 04:27:02 AM »
Ok so we have some good players coming through but I think we are going to be very average while this happens.
We will probably end up being the Arsenal of the mid table. All the young players still look like they should be on the bench. A more senior player would not have given away that free kick at Fulham that Albrighton did.
It is exciting to see these young players come through but we are going to struggle to finish top half this season.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 06:24:52 AM »
Albrighton will be our star winger for many years.

Clark will be the next Gareth Barry...and fuck off to Money City or the likes.

Bananaman will be an absolute champion. Someone will stick him on steroids, fill him out and he'll be Paul Scholes crossed with Paul Merson. He won't be here in 3 seasons.

Fonz will be down in the lower leagues soon enough after showing that he has the ability but neither the consistency nor attitude. 

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 06:43:12 AM »
They are all doing well (even though I have doubts about the Fonz) but my stand out is Ciaran Clark.

He has time on the ball, great build and I think can develop his game into being an allround Midfielder or a cultered centre half.  He looks at home to me in our first XI.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 08:15:02 AM »
Short term - Albrighton

Long term - Clark

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 08:44:15 AM »
Way too much hyperbole in this thread for me. Did I dream it or did I read someone describe them as 'out of this world'? I'm far too much of an old git to start making predictions after half a dozen games or less and have seen far too many comparisons with McGrath, Cowans et al over the last 20 years which have never come to fruition...

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 09:01:41 AM »
Albrighton - the new Beckham with pace.
Delfouneso - could go either way; needs to get his head totally focussed on succeeding as a Villa star.
Banana - this guy takes responsibility and has a great sweeping pass.
Clark - the pick of the bunch; Cahill, with class.

Delph - our Bryan Robson, if he pushes on.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 09:05:23 AM »
Ok so we have some good players coming through but I think we are going to be very average while this happens.
We will probably end up being the Arsenal of the mid table. All the young players still look like they should be on the bench. A more senior player would not have given away that free kick at Fulham that Albrighton did.
It is exciting to see these young players come through but we are going to struggle to finish top half this season.

You might be right, but as we're not relying TOTALLY on them I think we can do better than that.  Things like Albrighton's mistake against Fulham are part of their learning curve and the key is he doesn't do it again.  If they continue to develop and Gezza adds two or three in the right positions over Jan and the summer, then I think we would be at least back where we were under MON.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 09:21:31 AM »
Albrighton is ahead at the moment as he's showed good form in many games this season, if he keeps that level up we will have a real star.

I haven't seen enough of Bannan or Clark to make any predictions but so far so good.

The Fonz is a tricky one.  He looks a very cultured footballer, his finish the other night was class but and it's a big but...is he a natural goal scorer?  I'm not certain he is but he could develop.  We'll know more over the next few games. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal