collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by nigel
[Today at 08:16:33 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:16:03 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 08:15:13 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:04:53 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:59:13 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 07:58:45 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 07:57:10 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 07:52:17 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who will be the best player?  (Read 26102 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Who will be the best player?
« on: November 11, 2010, 03:31:37 PM »
So, we've got a good bunch of kids coming through that point towards a bright future for us.  But which of them has caught your eye the most and makes you think he will 'make it'?  Who is the Beckham/Giggs of this group as opposed to the Phil Neville/Robbie Savage.

That's not to say any of them will be shit (Savage and Neville carved out good careers for themselves) but which of the emerging crop do you think is most likely to become a true superstar?

Personally, my vote goes to Bannan.  Just something about that says to me he'll get better and better.

Offline lovejoy

Re: Who will be the best player?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 03:42:40 PM »
I don't think you can tell at this stage. To me Lee Sharpe was the best of the crop at 21 at MU and he ended up on celebrity love island. You need ability and hunger.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »
Its also interesting where Delph sits in the pecking order when fit. At worst they'll all have high level careers and be set up financially for life if they're not already.

I actually don't think they'll be as good as Gabby or Barry and get to England level, although BB is probably already good enough for Scotland. Albrighton possibly may play for England in the autumn of a non final season (only spurs wingers get picked in a world cup year)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:53:52 PM by andrew08 »

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 03:51:44 PM »
I think Albrighton's got it all and see him perform brilliantly every week. Saying that all of them look to be out of this world so far..

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:51:47 PM »
To early to call it.

They could all be quality in different ways.

I think Albrighton will have the more obvious impact. As we've seen, he likes to beat a man and whip a cross in. This more often not leads to a chance (could be wrong but I think he already leads the way in assists this season after his first real run in the side) so it's a noticeable impact. Plus wingers taking on and beating a man is one of the greatest sights in football. He can also weigh in with a few goals.

Not sure he'll be a superstar, but I do think he'll be in and around England reckoning from time to time.

Bannan I'm not sure about, could go either way. I like how he plays the game and would genuinely love to see a player that slight dominating the midfield and being a first pick. Can  he do it against the more physical sides though, or the sides who are better technically than us? In fairness he hasn't really had a chance to prove one way of the other.

Clark could be a good, cultured defender who carves out a decent career for himself. Assured in possession, I see the GB comparisons but GB had a bit more 'cheek' to his game (and no, not just his fat arse) doing a drag back and turning a forward inside out before hitting an inch perfect pass up the line.

The Fonz -from  the bits of first team action I've seen him involved in- often looks out of kilter with his teammates and play generally.He has a tendency to disappear or not look interested - and then he crops up with a goal. I'd go as far as to say he's the best finisher currently at the club - and not just based on last nights goal either. The goal v Pompey and a few in the UEFA lead me to that conclusion. In similar situations would Gabby, Heskey or JC have finished as well? Doubtful. JC has a habit of creating something out of nothing but I wouldn't necessarily back him in a regular one on one.

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »
I voted Bannan because i think his skill and vision in the middle are sublime and you don't get many players like that in football. That said i think all four of them will play at the top level for many years to come, three of them definitely seem to have the right attitude too, though yet again there have been slight questions raised about the Fonz in that regard. 

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »
My instinct is saying Delfouneso, I just have a feeling he is going to be really good. I think he needs a spell out on loan to develop.

Offline luke25

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
Albrighton is bloody fantastic already in my opinion, im convinced he's going to be a huge part of our first team for years to come, Im not sure about Bannan still, apart that ball at Fulham im yet to be convinced, Delfouneso I just don't know what to make, his performances in the last two games have'nt been anything to get excited about but he could've easily had 4 goals to his name from the games, he's probably the most natural finisher we've got at the club which when you consider he's only 19 is quite something but probably says more about Heskey, Carew and Gabby than anything, i'd love to see Gabby n Fonz start a couple of games together

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 04:22:44 PM »
delfouneso for me without a shadow of a doubt...

he has a lot to his game, and a lot of natural ability, but the one thing he does have, is very good intelligent movement... one thing he is not though, is a lone target man... for me, he has always had huge potential and to be involved in and around the first team since 16, despite not being as bulky as his height suggests, is a testament to his potental... given a year or two, i think he will be superb...

albrightons big test will be when teams double up on him...

bannons will be when big players mark him...

clarks will be when he faces more players like kevin davies, andy carroll etc...

all four are doing well at the moment though...

Offline Simba

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 04:28:22 PM »
Clark for me. He has that Bruce Rioch ability to create time for himself. Never hurried.Very confident and brave.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:44:42 PM »
If any of the two are as successful as Savage and Neville I'll be well pleased.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 05:50:18 PM »
I think Bannan has the natural footballing brain and ability to make it big, plus with time on his side to improve those aspects of his physique which obviously need building up. Also, in time he can learn how to use his smaller frame to shield the ball in the way that players like Deco and Xavi do, and if he can do that he will be immense.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »
I like this thread.  I went for bannan, as he is a tricky little player with an eye for a pass, and his touch, positioning and awareness will only improve with experience.  He already has the skill, and i love the idea of having a mini Xavi-esque creative midfielder.  He is a bit lightweight, but in a midfield three with Petrov/Delph and Nige, i think he could be a real prospect.  It would've been interesting to see how this poll would have stood this time last year.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
I would say Albrighton he can beat a man create,score and he get's back to defend, Bannan he can pick a pass out and is not afraid to shoot and he is composed on the ball, Clarke i like the look of the way he play's, Delfouneso he is starting to score goal's which he will no doubt grow in confidence.  I think they all have the potential there but i say only time will tell.   

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »
Clark, not only does he have all the makings of a good centre half, but with a footballing brain and ability, which is something not often seen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal