collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carlos Cuellar  (Read 15723 times)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Re: Carlos Cuellar
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 10:20:31 AM »
I feel a bit sorry for Carlos as i think he's our best Cb,in his only league game under GH he played really well and looked solid,and the way Dunne is playing at the minute,Carlos should be in the team.

So it's not just M'ON who couldn't see the bleeding obvious loss of form of some players.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 10:21:12 AM »
HP is a good sauce.

Offline CheeriOneill

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
HP is a good sauce.

I prefer Daddys!!

My vote (like others) is that despite his solid defending, Ged is trying to play more of passing game from back to front.

Cuellar is our best defender but worst passer! This is the reason that Dunne is playing, however I would be playing him and telling him to give it straight to Collins wherever possible.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 10:35:27 AM »
Carlos was on the bench at Fulham and should have been brought on at least for the final minutes as Fulham threw everything at us.  I think he is the best at dealing with high balls into the box so we may not have lost that goal at the death.  I think that was such a blindingly obvious need for a substitution and bad management that it didn't happen.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 10:39:32 AM »
I don't know if its true or not but I heard he stormed out last night after finding out he was on the bench & I heard it from a good source

A good source??
I love all these good sources from VP that tell things to fans.
These security guards and waiters etc. that hear things on the grapevine... love it!

So our injury list now reads; Delph, Carew, Heskey, Beye, Cuellar, Sidwell, Reo Coker, Petrov!!! inc. Ireland who might aswell be injured as he's tat & doesn't want to be here...

So really, with a senior central midfielder being a 5ft nothing Barry Bannan - there's not much cause for complaint at present. Considering we're on the same points as Spuds with their amazing squad??

Im actually friendlyl with one of the stewards and it was him that told me, he's told me a few things in the past that have turned out to be spot on. Im not saying its correct im just passing on what I heard and he wasn't the only person I heard it from.

If im wrong then fine but I'm only passing on what I heard
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:41:14 AM by Phil from the upper holte »

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »
Cuellar is unlucky not to be in the team. However, I feel that the decision to drop Dunne in favour of Carlos is not as straightforward as some believes. Firstly, Dunne has made some costly error, but overall he has not been as dismal as portrayed on this forum. Secondly, Dunne and Collins have more complimentary skills than Cuellar and Collins, and Houllier tends to apply a more holistic approach to team selection than some managers. Thirdly, neither Cullar nor Collins are too comfortable when in possession, and that is a drawback considering the style GH wants to implement.

Yes, the primary purpose of defenders is to defend. And yes, I agree that Cuellar is right to feel hard done by. However, I disagree with the view that GH's selection of Dunne is completely impossible to understand.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 10:46:26 AM »
Houllier tends to apply a more holistic approach to team selection than some managers.

So the manager of the Villa is "Dirk Gently" ?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 10:50:41 AM »
Cuellar is our best defender but worst passer!

I like to see a balanced side, but that's not just about left footers on the left etc. - it's also a balance between grafters and flair players, strength and speed.  Houllier has favoured NRC in the centre, despite a lack of passing ability, because of the other things he brings to the side.  So I'd like to think he could make this decision as well to give us more defensive strength in sacrifice for some passing from the back. 

Offline jembob

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 11:23:12 AM »
We wouldn't have conceded either goal last night if Carlos was playing. Dunne had a very poor game and has looked suspect this season compared to last.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 11:31:28 AM »
He's another injury victim.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 11:32:57 AM »
i have never rated cuellar, so im not bothered hes not in the team when fit....

Offline stevenjos

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 12:19:40 PM »
He's injured! answers last nights query, but if he is, then surely we need Davies back as backup!

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »
How Dunne is getting picked in front of Carlos at the moment is beyond me.
.. and me too. Admittedly,  I only saw the highlights, but I think that we are letting in a too few silly goals for my liking and we could do with him.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »
He's injured! answers last nights query, but if he is, then surely we need Davies back as backup!

Whats wrong with him?

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2010, 01:51:35 PM »
Calf injury. Will be out for Saturday as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal