collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa and the first premiership 92-93  (Read 9384 times)

Offline Holte L2

Re: Villa and the first premiership 92-93
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
  Some great moments, just a pity we couldn,t hang on at the end.
  At least we can say we saw the 1st example of Fergie Time.
  I remember going to watch the Blackburn game at VP , on a screen the size of  what you,d now find off the shelf at Comet.
  Bad night, strange to see Sid playing for them , I think he had a stormer as well. 

I was at that too. My Dad gave me the choice of going to watch that on the screen or playing football for my under 7-s team. I've still got my ticket stub in my collection.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »
I remember the screen not working properly, Dalian missing an early chance, then us collapsing!

BFR signed Sid after this performance didn't he?

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 08:14:46 PM »
So near, yet so far. 

I remember leaving the Holte after the 0-0 with Coventry and Man Utd were still a goal down to Sheff Wed.  By the time I'd walked the length of the Trinity Road and turned into Nelson Road where I was parked they were 2-1 up.   In my heart I knew it was lost then.

I'd managed to get tickets for the match at Blackburn - went to Ewood Park the day they went on sale and got some of the last few in the front row of the Walker Steel stand.  We kicked off at 7.45 and were 2-0 down before United kicked off at 8 at Palace.  That wasn't a good night, as I came home to about six messages on my answer phone from Reds (were mobiles invented then?)

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
So near, yet so far. 

I remember leaving the Holte after the 0-0 with Coventry and Man Utd were still a goal down to Sheff Wed.  By the time I'd walked the length of the Trinity Road and turned into Nelson Road where I was parked they were 2-1 up.   In my heart I knew it was lost then.

I'd managed to get tickets for the match at Blackburn - went to Ewood Park the day they went on sale and got some of the last few in the front row of the Walker Steel stand.  We kicked off at 7.45 and were 2-0 down before United kicked off at 8 at Palace.  That wasn't a good night, as I came home to about six messages on my answer phone from Reds (were mobiles invented then?)

Nightmare.  Before Blackburn scored we hit the post or bar and Dalian Atkinson missed from about 6 inches as well!!!  Was that the game where he bought dalian back and dropped Yorkie who'd been scoring important goals?  I still think that was the biggest mistake BFR made on the run in.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 12:24:49 PM »
I missed two games, away to Boro and QPR. Dalians goal at Wimbledon was the biggest highlight in a season of great memories and I really fancied us after God got the winner at Forest. Blackburn away was depressing, I think United won at Palace 3-0 that night. Giving it to them at home to Oldham was hell. Is there anyone who stayed in to watch them pick it up on the Monday or did we all go out and get very drunk? I got so drunk I imagined Frank McAvennie had played for us at the start of the season!

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »
missed two games, away to Boro and QPR

QPR was a fantastic day. Villa fans in all four ends of the ground, pitch invasion and mass conga on the half way line at the end.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 07:05:40 AM »
So near, yet so far. 

Nightmare.  Before Blackburn scored we hit the post or bar and Dalian Atkinson missed from about 6 inches as well!!!  Was that the game where he bought dalian back and dropped Yorkie who'd been scoring important goals?  I still think that was the biggest mistake BFR made on the run in.

Couldnt agree more, Yorkie was running into great from at that time. Dalian bless him, couldnt really be blamed for not being at the top of his game that night

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »
Dalian came back against Forest when McGrath scored the winner, I thought we had won it after that, with Dalian being back in the side again, but he wasn't really fully fit.

He played against Cov and missed a sitter early on, and then that Blackburn game did it for us, the sun was shining on the "big telly" and you could hardly see anything, apart from Sid running the show.

QPR away was when people were dancing about on the roof of the executive boxes.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 03:11:08 PM »
Dalian came back against Forest when McGrath scored the winner, I thought we had won it after that, with Dalian being back in the side again, but he wasn't really fully fit.

He played against Cov and missed a sitter early on, and then that Blackburn game did it for us, the sun was shining on the "big telly" and you could hardly see anything, apart from Sid running the show.

QPR away was when people were dancing about on the roof of the executive boxes.

I was at the Forest game,a guy came up to us to ask us if we've seen his flag as he lost it,it covered half the away end though! There was such a strong feeling that we were on our way to winning it after that game. As its been said before,dropping Yorke for the run in cost us.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 03:56:12 PM »
I claim the credit for the goal at Forest.  We were right by Staunton when he took the corner and I yelled "put it on God's head" - he duly did and we all know what happened.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »
God I loved that season, I thought it was going to be that good for years especially after Deano's debut against Liverpool. We had a great mix of young and old and the kit was fantastic.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 09:05:54 PM »
If I remember rightly McGrath got the PFA award the night of the forest win.

Deano scoring the winner at Anfield was my highlight.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »

There was a photo in a subsequent programme of the players celebrating that goal and, even though the photo was taken at the Kop, I could make myself out in the Anfield Road End with fists clenched. 

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 01:25:54 AM »

There was a photo in a subsequent programme of the players celebrating that goal and, even though the photo was taken at the Kop, I could make myself out in the Anfield Road End with fists clenched.

I knocked a copper flying down the steps when that goal went in, I don't think I have celebrated many goals quite that much.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal