collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your favourite ever Villa quote?  (Read 14646 times)

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
Re: Your favourite ever Villa quote?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 01:43:57 PM »

'With your usual vocal backing and 110 per cent effort from each and every one of the players I am sure we will get the right result.'
Ron Saunders programme notes.

Favourite modern quote

That's the one that always comes to my mind as well.

Offline Cleybrooke

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
See sig

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
I always liked this from John Gregory:

“There’s an aura about this club, a sense of history and tradition. Even the name is beautifully symmetrical, with five letters in each word.”

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
My favourite lesser-known quote, one I've used several times, was from reserve full-back Dennis Jackson about his colleague Ron Atkinson: "I played with Ron in about a hundred games. And according to Ron he was man of the match in at least 99 of them."

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 02:24:12 PM »

"I took a whack on my left ankle, but something told me it was my right".  Lee Hendrie

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 02:58:11 PM »
Didn't SGT give a HT talk that comprised of something like "Gentleman, you got us into this mess, now you get us out of it" when we were 2-0 down at Crewe in the FAC, and we went on to win 3-2?

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 03:48:44 PM »
I can't remember the exact quote so apologies for the paraphrasing but I recall Balaban moaning that even Doug Ellis did not know who he was. Dougs response was similar to " Son you cost me six million pounds I know exactly who you are"

Offline jibba81

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »

“There’s an aura about this club, a sense of history and tradition. Even the name is beautifully symmetrical, with five letters in each word.”

There's another line to that, isn't there? Something about the pleasure gained from saying or writing the words.

He might've produced some boring football, but he always gave good quotes.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 04:18:35 PM »
JG when we sold Yorke.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 04:27:29 PM »

There's another line to that, isn't there? Something about the pleasure gained from saying or writing the words.
That was Richard Whitehead quoting John Gregory:
There are loads of Uniteds, lots of Citys and Towns, a goodly sprinkling of Wanderers and Rovers and even a few Albions. But there is only one Villa – the greatest name in football in every sense. John Gregory, our former manager, had an eye for the populist quote and never more so than when he said: “There’s an aura about this club, a sense of history and tradition. Even the name is beautifully symmetrical, with five letters in each word.” He’s right, too. Just try writing it down now in upper and lower case. Aston Villa – heartstoppingly lovely.

I love Peter Morris's writing and am always moved by these lines from "Aston Villa - The First 100 Years":
The door to the lavishly appointed Guest Room at Villa Park was open and out in the corridor the little boys, dodging the commissionaire, were calling for Brian Little and John Gidman. Quite rightly, they took no notice of myself and the elderly bald-headed man, bespectacled, stooping a little, who was quietly finishing his tea. He looked at them for a moment, a whimsical look, and moved to the long windows overlooking the now deserted playing pitch.
“Every time you come back here it must bring back memories Pongo” I said. He stared out for a long while. I thought he’d forgotten I was there. “Aye,” he said suddenly, “aye, they’re a great club…the greatest.” I stood and looked with him, this old man whose goals had set the Villa crowds roaring so long ago. It was not quite dusk on that March afternoon and I saw them too…they were out again, the old ghosts…Jack Hughes, scorer just about one hundred years earlier of Aston Villa’s first goal (perhaps to the very day)…George Ramsay…the Hunter brothers…Willie McGregor…Denny Hodgetts…legion upon legion of them on parade now, filling the field with claret and blue…the century with pride.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
"We're not fickle.......We just don't like you"

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »
"I want to play for an Italian club. Someone like Barcelona."

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »

That was Richard Whitehead quoting John Gregory:
There are loads of Uniteds, lots of Citys and Towns, a goodly sprinkling of Wanderers and Rovers and even a few Albions. But there is only one Villa – the greatest name in football in every sense. John Gregory, our former manager, had an eye for the populist quote and never more so than when he said: “There’s an aura about this club, a sense of history and tradition. Even the name is beautifully symmetrical, with five letters in each word.” He’s right, too. Just try writing it down now in upper and lower case. Aston Villa – heartstoppingly lovely.

I love Peter Morris's writing and am always moved by these lines from "Aston Villa - The First 100 Years":
The door to the lavishly appointed Guest Room at Villa Park was open and out in the corridor the little boys, dodging the commissionaire, were calling for Brian Little and John Gidman. Quite rightly, they took no notice of myself and the elderly bald-headed man, bespectacled, stooping a little, who was quietly finishing his tea. He looked at them for a moment, a whimsical look, and moved to the long windows overlooking the now deserted playing pitch.
“Every time you come back here it must bring back memories Pongo” I said. He stared out for a long while. I thought he’d forgotten I was there. “Aye,” he said suddenly, “aye, they’re a great club…the greatest.” I stood and looked with him, this old man whose goals had set the Villa crowds roaring so long ago. It was not quite dusk on that March afternoon and I saw them too…they were out again, the old ghosts…Jack Hughes, scorer just about one hundred years earlier of Aston Villa’s first goal (perhaps to the very day)…George Ramsay…the Hunter brothers…Willie McGregor…Denny Hodgetts…legion upon legion of them on parade now, filling the field with claret and blue…the century with pride.

Cheers for clearing that up, Frank. Jibba81, I found it from this article.

Offline Yeltzer

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 09:00:16 PM »
"I want to play for an Italian club. Someone like Barcelona."

Mark Draper!!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
A chap  couple of rows from my seat after seeing another Ashley Young cross sail 10 foot over  Carew's head  " Ash he is big  but not fuckin that big"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal