collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Insider Blog: Is Houllier doing things the right way?  (Read 17308 times)

Offline TimTheVillain

Re: The Insider Blog: Is Houllier doing things the right way?
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2010, 11:41:47 PM »
It's clear that GH wants Villa to play a more stylish game which really suits me.

Results do bring the crowds back but then so does attractive football, and it's not that ridiculous to marry the two together - i.e. get the team playing attractive football and getting results.

Early days, it's all a bit subdued, but hopefully we'll get there.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17:40 PM »
The idea of a selection meritocracy is fine, until you remember Carlos Cuellar.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2010, 06:34:17 PM »
When GH was appointed, I was cautiously optimistic. The reasons were mainly that GH is a good tactician and would probably introduce a more modern approach to football management at Villa Park.

But he also had a reputation for negative tactics at Liverpool, as well as a mixed record in the transfer market.

I know that I'm only watching the unfoldings from a distance, but one of the biggest surprises is that things seem to be much more fun with GH in charge. He smiles in interviews, banters with the fourth official during matches and tries to make the team play in a more entertaining fashing.

As someone mentioned on here some time ago, if we are not going to get into top four and instead finish sixth every season, we might as well do so by playing some good football and blooding some youngsters.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2010, 06:37:01 PM »
When GH was appointed, I was cautiously optimistic. The reasons were mainly that GH is a good tactician and would probably introduce a more modern approach to football management at Villa Park.

But he also had a reputation for negative tactics at Liverpool, as well as a mixed record in the transfer market.

I know that I'm only watching the unfoldings from a distance, but one of the biggest surprises is that things seem to be much more fun with GH in charge. He smiles in interviews, banters with the fourth official during matches and tries to make the team play in a more entertaining fashing.

As someone mentioned on here some time ago, if we are not going to get into top four and instead finish sixth every season, we might as well do so by playing some good football and blooding some youngsters.
He also admits to any mistakes he might have made and doesn't moan about having half the squad injured.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »
GHOUL is turning us into a fearless team by introducing youngsters and trusting them. MON  would have turned  to likes  of Harewood, Beye and Routledge.

Offline carlos the third

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
GHOUL is turning us into a fearless team by introducing youngsters and trusting them. MON  would have turned  to likes  of Harewood, Beye and Routledge.

No, MON would have played Gabby all throughout his injury and Petrov on crutches!

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2010, 09:34:28 PM »
He also admits to any mistakes he might have made and doesn't moan about having half the squad injured.

I think that is worth repeating, he hasn't used it as an excuse at all.  In fact, I don't think he's mentioned it unless the question was posed to him.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »

I think that is worth repeating, he hasn't used it as an excuse at all.  In fact, I don't think he's mentioned it unless the question was posed to him.

He has a very "what's the point of compaining" attitude to it all. He just laughs it and just gets on with things which is what we want to see. It's allowed him to see more players in close action than he probably imagined he would by now and in turn it's given those players a massive boost in confidence to be playing consistently at the highest level.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2010, 06:06:17 AM »
Even though we haven't won as many games as I would have liked I am happy with the progress Houiller is making. Hopefully he will keep all the younsters, sell some more established players and sign a couple of decent players to take them to the next level.   

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
Really warming to Houllier. He has brought in youth perhaps not totally by choice. This has brought a touch of fresh air into the team and is certainly bringing out the best in Downing .......

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »

I like what GH is doing, but amid the justified euphoria it it may be worth recalling  that a certain chap by the name of O'Leary played teams which included Moore, Cahil, Ridgewell, Davis and Gardner to whom he referred as his "babbies".

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »
I like what GH is doing, but amid the justified euphoria it it may be worth recalling  that a certain chap by the name of O'Leary played teams which included Moore, Cahil, Ridgewell, Davis and Gardner to whom he referred as his "babbies".

In defense of DOL, he did not have a huge amount of choice but to play the babies as there wasn't the Randy money sloshing about.  ...and remember that group of players were sold for around £18m so playing them did have some benefits.  I hope this generation of rookies will be complemented with some decent signings as well.

With regard to Houllier, I think his strength is that he will build things for the future, not look for the quick fix.  Improving the infrastructure of the club will take a lot of time so I am not surprised that he has not made an immediate impact.  In many ways I think the next manager will be the one who benefits most from Houllier's work.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2010, 05:18:12 PM »
So that will be Mr McAllister then :)

Offline TonyD

« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2010, 08:48:38 PM »
Please Mr H could you make it happen that Petrov and Heskey have played their last games for us.   We create more chances, pass the ball better and entertain far better without those pesky kids spoiling the fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal