collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ?% Villa: Pulis Wants Ref Relegation  (Read 5967 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
?% Villa: Pulis Wants Ref Relegation
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »
here

Tony Pulis believes a system of promotion and relegation for referees will help to ensure that bigger clubs are not favoured in the Premier League.

Pulis has been angered by a number of key decisions that have gone against Stoke in recent weeks and feels the standard of officiating detracts from an otherwise thrilling division.

The Potters were denied a penalty against Sunderland at the weekend when Lee Cattermole clearly handled the ball on the line, which would have also resulted in the Black Cats midfielder being sent off if it had been spotted by referee Martin Atkinson.
Pulis was also unhappy that Ryan Shawcross was later sent off for two bookable offences as Stoke went down to a 2-0 defeat, while a couple of weeks ago Manchester United's Gary Neville escaped a red card with the game still in the balance.

The manager thinks smaller clubs in the Premier League are too often on the wrong end of major calls and insists it is now time to make changes.

"It cannot be right that these decisions consistently go on without being addressed," he told Sky Sports News ahead of the clash with Birmingham on Tuesday.

"Don't kid yourself that this hasn't happened in the first two years that we were in the Premier League. We've had decisions that have been absolutely abysmal but we have kept our grace and just got on with things.

"We know we are not going to get certain decisions that other clubs are going to get. I think that has been made blatantly obvious over the past few games, but there comes a point where you have to stand up and say 'this is not right'.

"The last thing I want to do is be sat here the day before a game talking about referees but I have to say the treatment this football club has had with respect to the decisions has been appalling."

Constructive

Pulis believes the best way to be fair to every club would be to introduce a ratings system for referees, with the weakest officials dropping down to the second tier.

He explained: "Over the weekend I have thought about it and I want to be constructive, so I think we should put in place a system where every Premier League club has a vote at the end of the season on referees, and the bottom three referees should be relegated to the Championship and the top three referees from the Championship should be promoted.

"And you can mark referees at the end of a game."

Pulis does not think there is any consistency in how referees are dealt with following poor performances, highlighting Mark Clattenburg's recent decision to allow Nani's controversial goal to stand for Manchester United against Tottenham.

"Clattenburg misses a game because of bad decisions he made in the game between Manchester United and Tottenham but the three bad decisions we have had against us, which have been as big for our club, those referees have refereed the next week," he said.

"How can that be right? So not only are we not getting the same decisions on the football pitch, i.e. Gary Neville's two challenges and Ryan Shawcross' two challenges, we are also not being treated right in respect of the ways the referees are being treated.

"So if you give everyone a vote and the opportunity to mark referees after every game, the perception is that referees can't help but at times go for the bigger clubs because of the power and the status and everything.

"If you get 14 clubs voting against those referees that might take away a little bit of their perception because if they keep performing to a level where they are more subservient to the bigger clubs, 14 clubs will vote them out of the Premier League."

Interesting to see where he might rank the inept tosspot that gave his side an injury-time free kick for Petrov giving Pennant a really menacing stare.

I think we should def look at it - if we can also include a ranking system that sees the three managers who bellyache the most also relegated.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: ?% Villa: Pulis Wants Ref Relegation
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
Pulis does seem to be becoming a bit of a moaning git, but he does have a point. 

For instance, can anyone imagine for a moment a referee giving that Nani goal AGAINST Man U at Old Trafford?  No, me neither.

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
Maybe I'd have a bit more respect for him if he called the questionable decisions that went in his favour (unlikely I know) and didn't witter on about no luck in 11 games when I know  that to not be the case in at least one match.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »
hes complaining that because referees make poor decisions against what he percieves to be "lesser teams" in the premier league, he wants to inflict them on to the championship?

isnt that a bit hypocritical?

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:30:26 PM »
If he really wants to make it easier for refs to make the right decisions, Pulis could always drop any player of his who takes a dive and tries to con the ref.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »
he could also tell his players to stop intentionally going through the man when they aggressively take the ball...

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 02:51:57 PM »
It would be interesting to see refs doing post match interviews.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »
Can Clattenburg just be put into administration so he can't referee a match again?

Offline peter w

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »
Well as much as Stoke have had a bad run of decisions I didn't hear Pulis moan at the referees performance when he allowed a free-kick for Pennants dive before they beat us. Not that I'd expect to but what goes around etc.

As for the relegation thing, no it can't happen. Apart from it being nonsensical you have to remember the refs retire also. So you can't have a season where 3 go down and one or two refs retire, so you don't then relegate anyone.

Also, what effect would it have in a match officiated by an already relegated ref? What about if two or three refs are under pressure to 'stay up' wouldn't that put added stress onto them and their officiating if they have to be worried about losing points?

No, nonsense idea.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 05:32:40 PM »
Maybe I'd have a bit more respect for him if he called the questionable decisions that went in his favour (unlikely I know) and didn't witter on about no luck in 11 games when I know  that to not be the case in at least one match.
Quite right.  Until managers and players get equally irate about the decisions that go in their favour then it's best to ignore everything they have to say on the subject of referees.

They don't want consistency, they don't want common sense to be applied, they just want decisions to go their way.  When they do, you don't hear a peep out of them.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 05:39:01 PM »
Don't they already do this anyway, albeit in a temporary way?

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 05:42:40 PM »
Besides which, it wouldn't work because managers cannot be objective. The only way to be objective is for managers to mark refs from games other than their own, and if 19 out of 20 managers have no issue with the ref over a weekend, how keen will they be to watch the ref of a game they only have an academic interest in?

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
Quite right.  Until managers and players get equally irate about the decisions that go in their favour then it's best to ignore everything they have to say on the subject of referees.

They don't want consistency, they don't want common sense to be applied, they just want decisions to go their way.  When they do, you don't hear a peep out of them.

Both correct.

This will be another attempt by a manager to put pressure on the next referee to take charge of (in this case) a Stoke game.  Utterly bizarre to think anybody aside from managers would agree with this.

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »
I think rather than wanting this to come to pass what he's actually doing is planting a seed.

By droning on and on (and on and on) about the issue he might think that refs might me more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt in future.

We'll see. But if I was a ref I'd be more inclined to put the boot in further.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »

We'll see. But if I was a ref I'd be more inclined to put the boot in further.
[/quote]

Me too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal