collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Classless Celtic supporters  (Read 42316 times)

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
Re: 0% Villa - Classless Celtic supporters
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
No chance, he's the REAL start of the Fix Factor

Offline spirit-of-82

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
They should spare a thought for the following ex Celtic players, Patrick Slavin, Leigh Roose, Donnie McLeod, Archie McMillan, Robert Craig, John McLaughlin and Peter Johnstone who gave their lives in the 1st world war.
Also ex celtic player Willie Angus who won the VC
Willie won his VC on June 12th, 1915 in Givenchy. He lost an eye, damaged a foot and was wounded 40 times in the process of successfully rescuing Lt James Martin, a fellow native of Willie's home town of Carluke who was lying injured a couple of feet away from the German front lines. A visit to the Willie Angus website gives the  full details of his deed and provides a unique insight into his truly amazing story.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 12:23:26 PM »
No chance, he's the REAL start of the Fix Factor

The What factor?  I'm afraid I don't watch or want anything to do with talking about the f****** X factor in fact this T shirt sums it up nicely.

http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/product_view.aspx?pid=1036

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
That is absolutely fucking disgusting.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »
They should spare a thought for the following ex Celtic players, Patrick Slavin, Leigh Roose, Donnie McLeod, Archie McMillan, Robert Craig, John McLaughlin and Peter Johnstone who gave their lives in the 1st world war.
Also ex celtic player Willie Angus who won the VC
Willie won his VC on June 12th, 1915 in Givenchy. He lost an eye, damaged a foot and was wounded 40 times in the process of successfully rescuing Lt James Martin, a fellow native of Willie's home town of Carluke who was lying injured a couple of feet away from the German front lines. A visit to the Willie Angus website gives the  full details of his deed and provides a unique insight into his truly amazing story.

I'm sure that there are 1000's of Celtic Supporters that have no affiliation to Ireland whatsover and are just run of the Mill Scots. How much does this kind of behaviour alienate them?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 12:38:07 PM »
The Celtic club apology uses the old ' A small minority' line. I know we are talking a percentage of a 50,000 plus crowd but if you look at the picture, it's hardly just a couple of blokes with a bedsheet is it? Celtic and Rangers certainly have their share of fans with issues don't they?

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 12:47:51 PM »
I'm amazed that the H&V paradox hasn't been invoked, where at least one person sticks up for something indefensible and congratulates the Celtic supporters.
I always imagine that if you had a 'Hitler was a shit' thread in off topic, a few would sing his praises.

What are you talking about? Hitler was aces, etc.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 01:00:47 PM »
The Irish have fought (and continue to fight) in lots of foreign armies.  In the Second World War - despite the Irish Government's policy of neutrality - many fought in the US and British armies helping the cause of the Allies.

The Irish are only just coming around to the idea of remembering their war dead in the manner that the US, the UK, the French etc. do because, psychologically as a nation, they were not officially part of these campaigns.  The First and Second World Wars have a totally different cultural resonance in Ireland compared to the UK and the rest of Europe and for this reason it has been quite hard for the Irish to work out how best to put it all into a context - but  they are working on it.

I would say modern Ireland has no axe to grind with how their neighbours in the UK wish to honour their fallen - they recognise that many Irish were amongst them.  The fact that the British Army caused much loss of life in Ireland is balanced out by the acknowledgement that many British soldiers lost their lives at the hands of the Irish, too.  It's a complex, confusing relationship, but clearly most of us have tried to move on and see the importance of moving on. 

The the sad thing about those Celtic fans is their blatant, small-minded refusal to move on - and the fact that they mistakenly believe they represent Ireland and the Irish.  What an embarrassing bunch of dinosaurs.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »
Lets be careful not to tar all Celtic fans with the same brush. Some of the comments on here seem to suggest they all hold these sort of views. Not true. Would you like it if Fulham fans were reporting all Villa fans were in the EDL or sung Tracy Andrews songs on saturday?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »
Morons. Over 50,000 Irish Catholics died in the First World War fighting for Britain in the hope of winning self government for Ireland. More Irish died fighting for Britain than ever died fighting against Britain.

It disgusts me to see them wave the tricolour at matches. It's a flag representing Green and Orange and the white stands for peace between them. Most of the idiots have probably never been to Ireland yet embarrass the hell out of us with their sectarianism etc. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wear a poppy and wouldn't be a huge fan of the British army based on stuff that happened in the past in Ireland yet I recognise that it was on the right side in both world wars. The past is the past and there's no use raking over it again and again. Also I prefer to recognise the similarities between the British and Irish and think the British are a fair people who are home to the club that I've supported all my life!

Spot on.

Great strides have been taken in recent years to acknowledge the contribution and sacrifice many Irish soldiers made during the First (and Second) World War. Previously they'd effectively been airbrushed from history in the south, to the point where anyone with ancestors who fought in the wars felt obliged to keep quiet. As if it was some kind of dirty secret.

There are many things the British state and by extension the BA deserve criticism on. I understand also that in an area as divided as Northern Ireland was symbols and emblems take on a whole different meaning. Marking someone out as pro this or anti that. But the Poppy Appeal was set up for the right reasons and should be beyond petty point scoring.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 01:29:58 PM »
Bunch of ******. I don't have much more to add really.

And they still suggest that Rangers are the bigots and they are the poor, put upon club that gets tarred with teh same brush? Dear me.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »
Making a point about poppies is crass and insensitive. However, displaying a banner against the presence of British troops in Afghanistan and Iraq is not. These people should realise that to get their point accross they should not be making enemies with people who want to remember the war-dead. But those wearing poppies should also take moment and remember the 100s of thousands that our government has killed and maimed in recent years.

Offline peter w

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
110s of thousands in recent years? Surely that's an over exaggeration that undermines your point slightly.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2010, 03:33:48 PM »
That banner has made me as angry, and is as justifiable as, the "Justice for Lee Mockble" one that the Knuckledraggers have.

It's bollocks, designed to cause  offence and is purely to promote their own narrow-minded self interest.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »
110s of thousands in recent years? Surely that's an over exaggeration that undermines your point slightly.

Actually i thought that i was underestimating. Considering that it is estimated that over 1m have died due to the occupation of Iraq

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal