collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by LeeS
[Today at 10:52:14 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by LeeS
[Today at 10:48:14 AM]

NSWE Investment by LeeS
[Today at 10:45:05 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Rigadon
[Today at 10:44:18 AM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:54 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:19:18 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Mister E
[Today at 10:10:27 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 09:55:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Classless Celtic supporters  (Read 42261 times)

Offline Brigada1874

Re: 0% Villa - Classless Celtic supporters
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2010, 06:42:19 PM »
On a lighter note looks like Airdrie Utd made a bit of a cock up with their Remembrance weekend programme

http://i55.tinypic.com/30a6cxx.jpg

;D

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2010, 06:59:40 PM »
I do think that for all the stick Rangers and Celtic fans receive for their bigoted views, Rangers as a football club deserve a degree of blame.

Every club has their knucklehead element, some more than others.

But when a club maintains a policy of exclusion for so long as Rangers did it gives the bigots on the terraces and in the stands credibility.

Dave is quite right in so far as the Catholic population isn't so high (I'd have thought it was higher than 15% but hey ho) in Scotland so as to justify a large percentage of Gers players coming from that background. And you could never advocate quotas or the like.

But I find it odd, particularly post 80's  that there hasn't been more players of a Scots/ Irish Catholic background making the grade there. Are they seriously arguing that none were ever good enough?

I could understand Rangers as a club or even said players being wary of such a move on the backdrop of  a troubled period as was the late 60's-80's or at various other times prior to that.

But since then, against a backdrop of peace an reconciliation in NI, when player movement has never been so easy and when cash is king it's a rather odd anomaly. A sad relic from a bygone era. Which is pretty much the Old Firm in a nutshell.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2010, 07:06:40 PM »
Two points. There aren't that many Scottish players good enough to get into either side. And while Scottish Protestants outside Glasgow tend to support their local side, Catholics support Celtic.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2010, 08:09:32 PM »
Or Hibs

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »
Two points. There aren't that many Scottish players good enough to get into either side. And while Scottish Protestants outside Glasgow tend to support their local side, Catholics support Celtic.

I know one Scot who's too good to get in either side ;)

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
Neil McCann is a Catholic I believe.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »
John Spencer was as well, he came through their youth team as well I think.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2010, 12:38:33 PM »

Don't agree, I knew loads of Catholics from Falkirk and Motherwell that support their local clubs. All have something in common, they hate the Old Firm.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2010, 12:38:52 PM »
How can you take anybody seriously that paints over green, "go" traffic lights?  Or won't have grass? That's a level of bigotry beyond comprehension.

Offline stuart r

• Location: Highley (Home of the Gerry Hitchens Fitness Suite at the local leisure centre- He started his career with Highley Miners Welfare)
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »

Dunno about the second point... I lived in Aberdeen for a bit and there were plenty of Aberdonian Rangers fans... more so than Celtic I'd say.... The Aberdeen fans maintained a healthy disdain for both of the old firm in equal measure.... until Souness turned up at Rangers and Neil Simpson crocked Ian Durant and the hatred towards Rangers seemed to increase a notch or two... A night game between Aberdeen and Rangers in the 90's could make for a very nasty atmosphere.... erm... I think I've strayed from the original point.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal