collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Deluded  (Read 14905 times)

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
Re: Deluded
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »
you won't win anything with kids

We don't win anything with older kids either.

I said this with tongue in cheek.  I am delighted that we started with 4 kids in the team yesterday

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 12:43:23 PM »

We don't win anything with older kids either.

I said this with tongue in cheek.  I am delighted that we started with 4 kids in the team yesterday

It probably doesn't need saying, but ditto!

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 01:27:58 PM »
I don't think we need to rely solely on them, but they will supplement some quality additions. Once those quality additions come in, the young players will improve with them and they're already showing real quality.

Add desire to that list of attributes.

I've seen more skill, guile and composure from Clark and Bannan in 120 minutes of football than I've seen from any midfield players at the club for about 10 years.

I agree. They've shown real promise.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »
I am looking forward to the transfer window to see who GH bring's in i think two or three player's will arrive i have faith in the kids aswell they are looking good for the future and we still have Delph and Gardner to come back yet onwards and upwards i say.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »
Well, if we're rolling out the cliches, if you're good enough then you're old enough.

They play without fear.

Offline mozza

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 10:10:25 PM »
I might be getting on in years (still have memories of the 3rd Division days)
but don't consider myself deluded -

What I do know is that I have more faith in Marc Barry & Ciaran than
most of the senior players brought here in the last 4/5 seasons.........

Maybe it's because I consider there lads to be 'ours' as opposed
to players like Downing & Ireland who have cost us millions but
have yet to repay us   

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 11:37:01 PM »
I think most Villa watchers recognise that the team built by Martin O'Neill is pretty much over.

We are now seeing the effect of O'Neill's transfer policy.  He stopped buying for the future and started buying for the present.  The turning point was when he bought Heskey.  After that, with the exception of Delph, it was all about maintaining top six position in the league.  He lost the belief and the ambition.

We are now left with an ageing squad and having to rely on youngsters.  Thankfully, the young players are performing well, especially considering their lack of 1st team experience.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 12:03:18 AM »
I think most Villa watchers recognise that the team built by Martin O'Neill is pretty much over.

We are now seeing the effect of O'Neill's transfer policy.  He stopped buying for the future and started buying for the present.  The turning point was when he bought Heskey.  After that, with the exception of Delph, it was all about maintaining top six position in the league.  He lost the belief and the ambition.

We are now left with an ageing squad and having to rely on youngsters.  Thankfully, the young players are performing well, especially considering their lack of 1st team experience.
It is a bit of a mess, there are too many players in a comfort zone Dunne Warnock Downing L Young Petrov, then A Young who is playing for his next move,  Carew on his way, so no surprise that the kids that are hungry are having a real go
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:05:56 AM by hawkeye »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 12:13:24 AM »

It is a bit of a mess, there are too many players in a comfort zone Dunne Warnock Downing L Young Petrov, then A Young who is playing for his next move,  Carew on his way, so no surprise that the kids that are hungry are having a real go

None of them are as hungry as Richard Dunne.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 12:15:28 AM »
Very little choice until January, given the injury list and some of the woeful purchases of the previous manager.  Apart from Bouma and Delph I can't remember too many bad injuries  under O'Neill,  and he did seem very fortunate in not having too many key players out at any one time.  We do need a couple in in January, though as we desperatley need some goals from somewhere.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 12:22:03 AM »

None of them are as hungry as Richard Dunne.
i dont think he skips too many meals

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »
I thought Clark, Bannan and Albrighton were very good. Never really been impressed with Delfouneso, hopefully he'll be on the scoresheet v Blackpool and take his chance.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 12:36:36 PM »

Exactly, what we are seeing is that these kids are capable of being part of the squad and playing when selected.  What we need to do is "upgrade" Carew, Heskey, Sidwell, Petrov, Reo-Coker with better players so that the squad is stronger all round and the kids can continue to improve surrounded by classier players.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »

The thing about this was that Hansen was actually right.  That Man U side of 95/96 alaso had the likes of Schimichael, Keane, Pallister, Irwin, Catona and Cole.  It was an already very good side that Fergie brought he kids into. 

So that's what we should also be doing.  Filtering the likes of Bannan Clarke and Albrighton in around our established players. 

Plus hopefully a few signings, of course.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »
Well, if we're rolling out the cliches, if you're good enough then you're old enough.

They play without fear.

If there's grass on the pitch

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal